I can't get a seat on MRT anymore

mind if i ask. why there is a standing capacity limit in buses and why is it not enforced in trains service?

I think there is a hanging capacity limit in our buses. :bsmilie:

bus_delhi.jpg

Last edited:
MRT is no a airplane waiting for boarding.... each train comes in... and leave the platform in under 1 min... how are sitting arrangements suppose to happen ?? Is it by seat numbers ?? So... is a computer suppose to ensure your seat is still available from station A to the station you are at... within the 3mins travelling time between station ?? If no seats numbers are given and its just free seating... what if alot of ppl are willing to pay the extra cost... but the sections of cars that have seats are fully pack.... won't it be the same like NOW... you'll still need to wait inline till a train with ONE SEAT available to come in before you could be seated... how is that any difference ??

Singapore society is already having this big problem between the well off and the less well off... do anyone of us think its a good idea to again divide passenagers between those that could afford to seat... and those that couldn't afford a seat...

What NEXT ?? I can jump queue at the foodcourt if I'm willing to pay 50¢ more ??

kei1309 said:
sir, you forgot the part about manners and values regarding giving up the seat though you got it first, if someone else needs it more than you do :bsmilie:

This is interesting. We give seats to needy based on physical characteristics - old, pregnant, kids, handicap. How about the ill and sick that we cannot see?

catchlights said:
try two tiers fare,

standing fare
and
sitting fare

eventually will make each MRT car have less seats, more room for commuters, more revenue for MRT operators, everybody happy

I root for this. There should be business / premiere class either the front cabin or special train. Seats are leather with drinks being served. Especially useful for those that need to travel from East to West or vice versatile.

MRT and Buses are public transport... seats should always be 1st come 1st served... And not the one who pay more 'wins' the seat... if you are willing to pay more in the 1st place.. go book a CAB.
you are right about this, I always start my journey from Punggol anyway, and next time I will take to train harbour front first before I go home. :)

[video=youtube;63NSt9tiY7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63NSt9tiY7o&NR=1&feature=endscreen[/video]
sit? stand? need clearance for him to dance... :eek:

not bad, free entertainment..

catchlights said:
try two tiers fare,

standing fare
and
sitting fare

eventually will make each MRT car have less seats, more room for commuters, more revenue for MRT operators, everybody happy

Cannot lah, like this old people who cannot afford sitting fare must stand while rich young kids sit right in front of them?

Even at JE whereby the train stop totally, a lot of people will still rush for it, and of course, for seats. Since they can run so fast, they should be fit enough to stand, why need a seat? 7th month now, they can race with some other beings. haha!

This is interesting. We give seats to needy based on physical characteristics - old, pregnant, kids, handicap. How about the ill and sick that we cannot see?

that is up to every individual's perception.

it always takes 2 hands to clap, and just one to slap.

- if a person says he/she is sick and demands in a rude manner that you give up your seat, will you do it?

- if a person looks sick and exhibits the signs of illness, then will you graciously give up your seat?

in singapore, i think this is graciousness is lacking. there was a time when i just had knee surgery and my knee was heavily bandaged and i was using crutches.

NO ONE gave up their seats to me on the bus or MRT. i was already struggling to keep my balance, and yet, no one let me stand in the corner or use the pole of handles.

one once in my 3 months on crutches did i get a seat on the bus, and it was from an old lady. imagine that! of course i declined, because i believe the young and able-bodied should be doing that, not someone who also needs it.

that is up to every individual's perception.

it always takes 2 hands to clap, and just one to slap.

- if a person says he/she is sick and demands in a rude manner that you give up your seat, will you do it?

- if a person looks sick and exhibits the signs of illness, then will you graciously give up your seat?

in singapore, i think this is graciousness is lacking. there was a time when i just had knee surgery and my knee was heavily bandaged and i was using crutches.

NO ONE gave up their seats to me on the bus or MRT. i was already struggling to keep my balance, and yet, no one let me stand in the corner or use the pole of handles.

one once in my 3 months on crutches did i get a seat on the bus, and it was from an old lady. imagine that! of course i declined, because i believe the young and able-bodied should be doing that, not someone who also needs it.

I can clap with one hand on either hand... LOL ;)

I always got the feeling of 7th month whenever I took MRT. Cause ppl are rushing in/out when door open while i wait till no one, then enter. Even there is annoucement, "pls give way to alighting passengers" but I hardly see people giving ways, only blocking.

Gracious society begins with you and me.

As a passenger I feel very stressed if I sit on a MRT train. Even though I'm a paying passenger public sentiment will view me as 'ungracious' if I do not give up my seat to - pregnant lady, elderlies, young kids, handicap or disabled.

Why am I subjected to such undue judgement when all I'm doing is exercising my right as a passenger? And worse when recent cases of passengers getting scolded by elderlies for simply sitting at their rightful reserved seats. Is it fair to us commuters who pay the same fare but 'not allowed' to sit like everyone else?

As we interact and pass by numerous people in a course of a day, friction bound to happen, especially in an high population area like here.
Its inevitable, so either we keep our head cool, or move to other country. But honestly, nowadays, even aunties walking slowly in front of me makes me irritated

get rid of all the seats, free standing for everyone, fair and square ;)

As a passenger I feel very stressed if I sit on a MRT train. Even though I'm a paying passenger public sentiment will view me as 'ungracious' if I do not give up my seat to - pregnant lady, elderlies, young kids, handicap or disabled.

Why am I subjected to such undue judgement when all I'm doing is exercising my right as a passenger?

Everything we do is subject to other people's judgement. A person who refuses to give up his seat to pregnant ladies, elderly, young kids, handicapped or disabled would generally be a low class character. Whether one is a paying passenger is not the point.

Why am I subjected to such undue judgement when all I'm doing is exercising my right as a passenger? And worse when recent cases of passengers getting scolded by elderlies for simply sitting at their rightful reserved seats. Is it fair to us commuters who pay the same fare but 'not allowed' to sit like everyone else?

you're forgetting that they also paid to get on board public transport.

once you've taken "paying the due fares" out of the equation, what you have left is just a question of whether you have a conscience and moral values ;)

i came to realise that graciousness does not work in Singapore.

you can be gracious all the time but people just do not appreciate it, in the end is kena makan only.

in our warped society, you either eat or be eaten, there is no such thing as sitting on the fence.