how to use a film rangefinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the RF section, unlike the others sections, we do not sit at home & stroke our long lenses :bsmilie:

Bottom line, shoot more, talk about gear less, good gear or average gear, end of the day, picture tells all about your skill & creativity, not the gear.

thats my man talking :p

i rather sayang girls than the lens at home and cameras... camera is a form of recording media thats all...

Last edited:
I am sure any newbie that goes to peninsula on sat afternoon around 4 to 5pm can ask anyone in the cafe about RF ...

I am sure any newbie that goes to peninsula on sat afternoon around 4 to 5pm can ask anyone in the cafe about RF ...

Really? Would most willing to seek advice from some senior RFer regarding RF stuff. That would be great!

Because the RF section, unlike the others sections, we do not sit at home & stroke our long lenses :bsmilie:

Bottom line, shoot more, talk about gear less, good gear or average gear, end of the day, picture tells all about your skill & creativity, not the gear.

:thumbsup:

so funny.

u don't how to use a RF and u wanna buy one of the most expensive RF camera to start with. richman son play?

u need a M9 with Noctilux.

Last edited:
so funny.

u don't how to use a RF and u wanna buy one of the most expensive RF camera to start with. richman son play?

u need a M9 with Noctilux.

I poor boy, underpaid blue coller worker, everyday coolie kang, so can only afford Japanese RF.

But I like japanese, I like their food, their booze, their girls:sweat:, sorry, typo, I like their cameras also :thumbsup:

Haha!

By the way, I believe you can zone focus and hyper focus even on an SLR. It's not limited to RFs.

none of my canon lenses allows me to do zf, the last time I checked, all of my leica lenses do...hmmm..

none of my canon lenses allows me to do zf, the last time I checked, all of my leica lenses do...hmmm..

u sure???? bro want to lelong ur canon stuff to me ?? every system can do zone focusing unless its 100percent auto.

Really? Would most willing to seek advice from some senior RFer regarding RF stuff. That would be great!

Ask master boochap , he's the master ;)

I am sure anyone there is more than willing to help :)

Chiif fei is the CV agent... He's always very helpful and friendly

u sure???? bro want to lelong ur canon stuff to me ?? every system can do zone focusing unless its 100percent auto.

do you mean 'every' or do you mean 'unless'? or do you mean fully manual only lenses?

why don't you show us how you do zf on yours? I'd like to learn coz I don't know how to do it on my canon lenses, try one of the most popular lenses, the 100mm macro, or any of yours would be fine. great to learn something new everyday, thanks in adv!

do you mean 'every' or do you mean 'unless'? or do you mean fully manual only lenses?

why don't you show us how you do zf on yours? I'd like to learn coz I don't know how to do it on my canon lenses, try one of the most popular lenses, the 100mm macro, or any of yours would be fine. great to learn something new everyday, thanks in adv!

Hi,

Any lens that has a depth of field scale and can be focused manually can use zone focusing. ZF is nothing more than using the DOF scale to determine which zone will be sharp. For example, with a 35mm lens, if you were to focus at 8ft. and at f5.6, the zone of focus extends from 6ft. to 12ft. With the 100 mm, the depth of field is much narrower. Therefore, the zone of focus is much reduced. Of course, in macro mode, the depth of field scale does not apply!

Hyperfocal distance is the point of focus that gives you the greatest depth of field to infinity. Using the 35mm lens again, if you were to align the infinity mark to f8.0 on the right hand side of the lens barrel, the hyperfocal distance extends from about 8ft to infinity. The point of focus is about 13-14 ft.

Hyperfocal distance is useful when you need to have an object in the foreground in focus while keeping everything sharp to infinity. Here is an example on using hyperfocal distance,

http://nns555.zenfolio.com/p934517054/h17fe42#h17fe42

Unfortunately, many modern lenses, especiallyzoom and AF ones, have done away with DOF scales.

N.S. Ng

paisa... i have two lense on canon system only.. dun have macro lens :sweat:

24L and 50 L... i can do on my 24 and 50.. easy leh

paisa... i have two lense on canon system only.. dun have macro lens :sweat:

24L and 50 L... i can do on my 24 and 50.. easy leh

oh,, high class lenses huh? no wonder, what can you 50L lens do that my 50 1.4 can't? other than doing zf of course, don't tell me it's the speed? :)

i think its because I started out this with Lomo cameras which are all zone focusing.. and since started.. capture the moment has always been more important than getting the focus 100 percent spot on :p

capture the moment has always been more important than getting the focus 100 percent spot on :p

Yes I agree... Although the focus should not be TOO far off!

Actually zone focusing can somethings be even faster than AF, because there's no lag time between pressing the shutter and having the camera take an exposure. AF-S or USM or whatever, still needs time to focus.

excellent as usual Ng! Thanks! How would you apply ZF into your shooting style and do they help?

I'm glad I don't have to lelong my non-zf capable lenses :)

Hi Greg,

I find zone focusing very useful in street shooting. Just preset to a distance you intend to shoot, bring up the camera and if necessary quickly adjust the focus. This works well with wide angle lenses. In this respect, when you need to shoot fast, the external meters, MR, MR4 are very convenient. You can meter the scene or your subject without having to bring the camera to your eye level. Therefore, you do not alert your subject. Of course with AE this is no longer an issue.

Hyperfocal distance is something I used in my landscape to capture what is known as far-and-near perspective. The AF guys have to switch to manual mode to use hyperfocal distance!

N.S. Ng

Hi Greg,

I find zone focusing very useful in street shooting. Just preset to a distance you intend to shoot, bring up the camera and if necessary quickly adjust the focus. This works well with wide angle lenses. In this respect, when you need to shoot fast, the external meters, MR, MR4 are very convenient. You can meter the scene or your subject without having to bring the camera to your eye level. Therefore, you do not alert your subject. Of course with AE this is no longer an issue.

Hyperfocal distance is something I used in my landscape to capture what is known as far-and-near perspective. The AF guys have to switch to manual mode to use hyperfocal distance!

N.S. Ng
brilliantly said Ng! in other words, Zone Focussing is one of many techniques attributing to inconspicuous shooting style, offering you more than one options of capturing that special moment off the conventional eye-level way too. Results from these shots usually yield unbelievable natural expressions of your subjects, unposed, that explained how many great street shots containing human elements were achieved.

I guess coupling this technique with the right gear, in this case, an inconspicuous RF would be an advantage, no?

It almost sounded like combining a right tool with the right techniques to achieve that natural extension of your 'eyes' to capture that moment in time makes it increasingly possible.

You surely know your stuff Ng and thanks for sharing.

brilliantly said Ng! in other words, Zone Focussing is one of many techniques attributing to inconspicuous shooting style, offering you more than one options of capturing that special moment off the conventional eye-level way too. Results from these shots usually yield unbelievable natural expressions of your subjects, unposed, that explained how many great street shots containing human elements were achieved.

I guess coupling this technique with the right gear, in this case, an inconspicuous RF would be an advantage, no?

It almost sounded like combining a right tool with the right techniques to achieve that natural extension of your 'eyes' to capture that moment in time makes it increasingly possible.

You surely know your stuff Ng and thanks for sharing.

Hi Greg,

I always believe if I can share then I can learn. The zone technic ( nearly said zone system!), allows us to always be prepared to shoot quickly. The Leica M style of shooting is to get close, shoot fast and get on to the next frame. It is a dynamic style, yet we remain stealthy and therefore it is reflected in the photos. I remembered a phrase from the first Leica book I bought. The author Andrew Matheson, who wrote The Leica Way said, 'Shooting live subjects yield live pictures.' I think that summarizes the M style of photography.

I think we should organize a meet to share photos and learn from each other. I understand the fascination with the hardware, but ultimately it is the results that count. Leica makes the best rf cameras and also some of the best lenses, but ask this simple question, 'Are you good enough for Leica?'

Thanks,

N.S. Ng

Status
Not open for further replies.