How to shoot banquet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've a D200 with SB800.
attended a wedding recently and was trying to capture group shots.
may i be advised what kind of settings is best for the d200?

i'm shooting using flash white balance, sb800 to TLL BL FP, and program mode on my D200.
using 18-200 vr lens.
i notice usually the shutter speed is 60 and on F4.(when in program mode).

what mode is best for shooting these banquets?and what do you set on your flash?
i point the flash 45degrees upwards.is that advisable for high ceilings?my pics came out a bit underexposed.but when i point direct (with the sb800 diffuser on), pics look overexpose..:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: i usually use center-weighted metering.

also, is there a way to correct the color of the background since ballroom are usually tungsten kind of lighting.this is because my subjects come out 'white'(because of flash), and yet background is like orangy(because the d200 was set to flashWB.):dunno:

pls help.appreciated.

wow.. D200, Sb800 and VR lens.. so rich... i can't even afford a D50, please lah , go and learn something before u shoot ppl wedding if your banquet refer to that.

Don't flame me, this is a ultimate truth, D200 and Sb800 is nothing, it very much depend on the photographer expriences

From experience, I'll use SB800 with stofen-omnibounce and bounce the flash 60/75 degrees. As for WB settings, you got to play around manual settings, between 3000K to 4500K if I am not wrong. The reason why your background was in orange hue was because your WB setting was too warm (Flash/Daylight ~ 5300K).

I will advise not to use Program mode but Aperture-priority mode instead and set the aperture at f5.6. f4 is a little too shallow for the DoF and may not be able to get everyone in the group shot in focus. You will have to bump up the ISO to at least 800 so that your hands are steady enough to capture the shot as the shutter will be around 1/25s - 1/50s.

Hope this help shed some light and provide some pointers for your next wedding shoot;)

people using VR lens lah.. where got need to use such a high iso...:sweat:

If u are seriously going into event photography, I suggest u get a wide angle lens. 18 to 200 will have barrel distortion at wide angle

For me, no matter what colour the ceiling is, I rather bounce the light either with the deflector or whatsover. I would rather have the colour cast than using direct. Somehow, I prefer brighter background. Maybe my direct flash skills not there yet. But so far, no complaints from customers yet

yes true:thumbsup: i shoot raw, so dun care abt the color cast which can be corrected..good thing abt bounce flash using bounce card is it gives very nice diffuse light..IMO it gives better results than omni bounce or LS..

yes true:thumbsup: i shoot raw, so dun care abt the color cast which can be corrected..good thing abt bounce flash using bounce card is it gives very nice diffuse light..IMO it gives better results than omni bounce or LS..

Omni bounce sometimes will cast a shadow at the wall if the subject is near a wall. It is safer to use the card. Have not use LS but some forumers here will swear by it. In flash photography, how u control the light is impt. Nikon's SB800 super gd. I am now mounting the flash on my Canon 30D now (Reason is I give up a bit on 580EX). Results are fantastic so far. Will be doing further test

6 sitted plus 6 stand, pack the people as close as possible.

camere: ISO 400~800, f5.6, 1/30s, auto white balance
flash: TTL (no BL), add or minus compensation depend on LCD read out

use big bounce card, omnibounce

It works.

your SB800 has colour gels, use them.

can try this, set WB to tungsten, colour correct your SB800 with the orange gel to change the flash to orange.

since you are using a VR lens, set your camera to Manual exposure.
Shutter speed, as low as you can
Aperture f5.6 or f8 depends on DOF
ISO 400 - 640

and everything else catchlights mentioned

your SB800 has colour gels, use them.

can try this, set WB to tungsten, colour correct your SB800 with the orange gel to change the flash to orange.

since you are using a VR lens, set your camera to Manual exposure.
Shutter speed, as low as you can
Aperture f5.6 or f8 depends on DOF
ISO 400 - 640

and everything else catchlights mentioned

Your trick of the orange gel never use before. Will try one of these days.

It works.

A few comments,

Eh to D200 users, is the awb accurate?

Jeanie, Catchlights has given u the formula, but do u understand why the following settings is recommended?

The VR 18 to 200 lens may have barrel distortion at wide angle group shots. I am not sure as I do not own the lens. Anyone care to verify?

D200 AWB for flash is very accurate.

if thom hogan said it, u can trust it.

all lenses haf barrel distortion. get a wide lens that has it better controlled such as the 17-35 f2.8 or the 17-55 f2.8.

wow.. D200, Sb800 and VR lens.. so rich... i can't even afford a D50, please lah , go and learn something before u shoot ppl wedding if your banquet refer to that.

Don't flame me, this is a ultimate truth, D200 and Sb800 is nothing, it very much depend on the photographer expriences

this thread is NOT about rich nor poor.if you have no other comments, please shut your trap.

who in the world says MUST know something b4 can buy d200+combo THEN can shoot banquet?
yes, i can afford the equipment. and i'm trying to learn from the helpful members here.
for your info, learning a skill doesnt mean u start old school.else, why driving lessons are conducted using modern cars?why not use a 1818 vintage?:sticktong :sticktong

if you have nothing to contribute, appreciate you keep your fingers busy by doing something else.
TQ.

A few comments,

Eh to D200 users, is the awb accurate?

Jeanie, Catchlights has given u the formula, but do u understand why the following settings is recommended?

The VR 18 to 200 lens may have barrel distortion at wide angle group shots. I am not sure as I do not own the lens. Anyone care to verify?

to all,

i dont yearn for PRO-like kind of photos.i shoot merely for fun.photography is really ONLY my hobby.

creaxion, i have a 17-35mm f2.8 but you know how heavy it is for a petite gal like me.:embrass:
hence, i brought my 'walkaround lens'.

i think i understand catchlight's formula.f5.6 for more DOF.so sitted and standing subjects are in focus.1/30s for camera to capture ambient lighting, so the entire picture wont stand out from a black background.am i rite?:embrass:
please feel free to correct me.

whenever i ask ques, it's always the familiar nicks that gives me good advices.i really appreciate that.:lovegrin:

It works.

what's omnibounce?the pull out from my sb800?
when u mention compensation, is it camera exposure compensation or flash compensation?

btw,
i notice i get very different results from autoWB vs flash WB.
i dont now much about WB but when i shot both, i love the flash WB results much better.

i dont shoot RAW cos i heard need software to process the files?
will adobe photoshop read RAW?

to all,

i dont yearn for PRO-like kind of photos.i shoot merely for fun.photography is really ONLY my hobby.:
yups, i agree.
i enjoy my fotography and yet i wanna improve. =)

take it easy. public forum has all kinda ppl. jus stick to the right advises, those u deem right la. definitely some helpful and some not so.

i think i understand catchlight's formula.f5.6 for more DOF.so sitted and standing subjects are in focus.1/30s for camera to capture ambient lighting, so the entire picture wont stand out from a black background.am i rite?:embrass:
please feel free to correct me.:

using a wide lens allows u a greater DOF. in traditional shoots such as the wedding 'round-the-table' shots, using a wide lens with f4 to 5.6 is more than enough.

1/30s is good for D200. i tend to go lower such as 1/15s. i only shoot at iso400.

whenever i ask ques, it's always the familiar nicks that gives me good advices.i really appreciate that.:lovegrin:

we've nothing better to do, u see?:bsmilie:

what's omnibounce?the pull out from my sb800??

omnibounce is simply a light diffuser. SB800 ships with one such device.
i conveniently left it back in the box.

i'm sure there're many professional wedding photographers who uses a whole chunk of flash accessories such as omniubounce, bounce cards, LSPJII... the likes.
it all depends on what the fotographer is accustomed to and feels comfortable with.

when u mention compensation, is it camera exposure compensation or flash compensation?
depends on the end-user and the result of the photograph captured.

btw, i notice i get very different results from autoWB vs flash WB.
i dont now much about WB but when i shot both, i love the flash WB results much better.

my personal preference in situations that i ain't sure of, such as wedding events in the night etc.etc. i tend to stick with AWB for flash photography.

i dont shoot RAW cos i heard need software to process the files?
will adobe photoshop read RAW?

ideally u shud get Nikon Capture NX, the latest version. around S$200+- from CP.
ain't so sure abt Adobe CS for reading D200's RAW files....
CS2 will be able to do so provided u upgrade ur Adobe RAW.

there're a whole host of 3rd party RAW reading softwares such as Bibble... etc.etc.

i stick with Nikon Capture.:thumbsup:

this thread is NOT about rich nor poor.if you have no other comments, please shut your trap.

who in the world says MUST know something b4 can buy d200+combo THEN can shoot banquet?
yes, i can afford the equipment. and i'm trying to learn from the helpful members here.
for your info, learning a skill doesnt mean u start old school.else, why driving lessons are conducted using modern cars?why not use a 1818 vintage?:sticktong :sticktong

if you have nothing to contribute, appreciate you keep your fingers busy by doing something else.
TQ.

oh.. great, please remember that if that is someone else wedding it once in a life time things, so pls don't spoil their. Yes u can afford a good cam, this don't give u a right to go around to try and shoot people wedding. yes, u can learn here, please make sure u know the proper thing before you do others wedding shoot.

I believe u don't want other to spoil your wedding shoot right? Or use your wedding as their learning trip. If you think it's ok to try out at wedding, please infom me about your wedding, i'll borrow a D2Xs and test at your wedding.:bsmilie::bsmilie:

ps. someone spoil my sis wedding photo, u know how sad she is. The person told her, he had been in wedding shoot for 6yrs. He used a ESO1Ds. But what happen to all the group photo, not enough DOF, all photo taken at f2.8

before I'm been attack again, let me say something,

during wedding dinner, use M mode, set at f5.6, shutter at 1/30sec and with a flash, it will be quite ok.
edited addon - and try to bound the flash.

cheese,thanks.:lovegrin:

ya..in a public forum, you gets all sorts.you do the filtering. but generally, nice people do exists.(yes...in this forum)

nothing better to do?good.so be my photography sifu can?:bsmilie:

ok, so the omnibounce is the rectangular plastic that comes with the sb.i leave that on all the time.cos i hate naked flash.it's simply too hard even if you decrease compensation.

i should have gotten the clear Lightsphere.the clouded one i notice tends to underex my pics, even if i use center weighted metering on the face.:dunno:

catchlights, btw, your formula, what kind of metering you use?matrix or center?

cheese,thanks.:lovegrin:

ya..in a public forum, you gets all sorts.you do the filtering. but generally, nice people do exists.(yes...in this forum)

CS roxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!

nothing better to do?good.so be my photography sifu can?:bsmilie:
i'm a noob. u best approach catchlights. haha:bsmilie:

ok, so the omnibounce is the rectangular plastic that comes with the sb.i leave that on all the time.cos i hate naked flash.it's simply too hard even if you decrease compensation.

and u leave it on with ur LSPJII? no wonder the horrendous under-ex.

i should have gotten the clear Lightsphere.the clouded one i notice tends to underex my pics, even if i use center weighted metering on the face.:dunno:

think u need to show us a few fotos then we can really pin point the problem. NPNT.

4)will ISO800 be a bit too grainy, noisy if blown to 8R?

Jeanie,
Do not worry about noise for D200 @ ISO800,
i've tried printed A1 size at ISO1000 without unacceptable noise, to me i find that the noise is ok... :sweat:

For D200 ISO1600 should be fine even for prints up to 8R. (i've nv try printed 8R @ iso1600).

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.