how to overcome this

If you are a freaking good programmer, I believe there are opportunities for you.
If you can code a damn good application, portal, mobile app or game, sure many companies willing to pay you good bucks for you to work for them.

Look around, in every industry there are people who make it big.
If you believe you can do it, you will be able make it eventually with the correct amount of effort and planning put into it realizing your dream.

That's not true, there are lots of foreigner (non US) working in Silicon Valley.
These programer get much lower paid in their home country and venture to overseas for better paid..

if programmer is getting low paid in SG, why dun venture out ?

Wah this topic generate a lot of response siah.

Anyway, I don't think Engineers are at the lower end of the food chain.
It really depends on whether your company is a sales oriented or product/engineering oriented company.

Apple and Blizzard are obviously product orientated company and many medium sized companies are sales oriented.
I unfortunately am in a sales oriented company, but I still get a lot of say in where I think should and should not be done. Ultimately, sales still depend on engineering to churn things out before they can get their commission. If engineering throws a "cannot be done due to technical limitation", or "won't fix because effort out weighs utility" in their faces, they are the one who's going to suffer. They better be nice to engineers!

The only reason I'm in the California now is because there is no software presence in SG. The only people who think highly of programmers are the tech start-ups (not even programmers themselves) and there is no career progression in the engineering path. Every engineer will have to move into a management position.

Programmers are not that bad in SG... still in demand.
Or else... why you see lots of Indians FT working for vendors at client sites for IT projects??

If your companies are using Oracle and SAP, you might notice that actually a lot of vendors supporting these two systems are from India-based companies actually.
Just my observation from the few companies that I have worked for.
I might be wrong though....

Building software is the most profitable business in the world, and the next in line is digging for oil.

And who builds software? Programmers.

If you're a programmer, you have a serious advantage compared to other type of jobs. You can start your own business at such a low cost. But of course you must be a good programmer. If you don't want to start a business, you can still earn a lot with a day job if you're a good programmer - but if you're that good you will start your own business.

All the money is on the web and mobile now. So that's where programmers should work towards.

A lot of profitable websites are started by no-name programmers to become powerhouse websites we see today. There are also many programmers made rich by programming iPhone, Android games.

If you're a programmer and need some motivation. Visit these two links:
Hacker News
Stanford's Entrepreneurship Corner: Podcasts

Programmers are not that bad in SG... still in demand.
Or else... why you see lots of Indians FT working for vendors at client sites for IT projects??

If your companies are using Oracle and SAP, you might notice that actually a lot of vendors supporting these two systems are from India-based companies actually.
Just my observation from the few companies that I have worked for.
I might be wrong though....

This mean bad news for TS :bsmilie: mean most of the jobs were out sourced or taken up by FT :bsmilie:

In my office there are many developers but only one is singaporean. My guess is Singaporean don't like to do programming, including myself.
In my school days, I took C Programming as one of the module.. haha I hated it, my foreigner classmates helped me debugged my codes alot. Heng got them if not I jialet liao.
Singaporeans here hold positions like engineers, project managers, governance and DBA which most positions are higher than developers and I am working in a foreign financial MMC :)

TBH Singaporeans IMHO are not keen in science and engineering related work.
I counted like 2-4 Singaporeans in my NUS CS class of 40+. The majority are PRC, India, Viet, Myanmar, Malaysia.
The reverse is true if you go to business, arts, finance - majority is Singaporean.
Could be a pay issue (finance pay is freaking high) as well as an image issue (engineer = nerd = loser).

Even where I work now (engineering, I'm doing some image processing stuff) the majority is foreigners, we've tried but it's hard to get locals.

well.. if cyber war is the future then we're screwed.. :bsmilie: