how to overcome this

In a different point of view, why continue studying something you don't like? Programming is tough, you have to learn C++, coding, scripting, html etc etc. Not everyone can tahan the lectures and have interest in it. If one is born to hate programming, he/she should not be studying it. Yes, it may be useful in the future but how much? why waste 3 years studying on it when you only use 1% of it in your lifetime? If you don't like programming then what do you like? Filming? graphic design? Engineer? You have to start thinking about what you want to do with your life, then go study the relevant course.

If TS is 2nd or 3rd year then he/she should continue since already wasted on 1st year.

In a different point of view, why continue studying something you don't like? Programming is tough, you have to learn C++, coding, scripting, html etc etc. Not everyone can tahan the lectures and have interest in it. If one is born to hate programming, he/she should not be studying it. Yes, it may be useful in the future but how much? why waste 3 years studying on it when you only use 1% of it in your lifetime? If you don't like programming then what do you like? Filming? graphic design? Engineer? You have to start thinking about what you want to do with your life, then go study the relevant course.

If TS is 2nd or 3rd year then he/she should continue since already wasted on 1st year.

well.. IT isn't just about programming.

depending on the major he is taking... usually system majors will have core subjects such as programming.

alternatively he can change to another major while still studying IT and is not a major but elective.

my own experience, while I am very weak in Java, I am very good with web programming (php, asp, etc). so I wasted alot of time retaking my Java units, in the end I gave up and switch to a different major to escape Java's clutches. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Well I think education is important but if possible choose a topic you like.

Without education, your choices in life becomes more limited.
If you really really dislike what you study then change to another diploma course if you just started your term but please do not drop out of school and regret fpr the rest of your life.
Now the basic education level is degree anyway.
Throw a rock and chances of hitting a degree holder is higher than a diploma.

If you wanna stand out from the rest, consider a Masters degree unless you are planning to start your own business but still better to get some working experience before doing so.

If you are taking a IT diploma then programming is just one of the subjects. You will need to know what the codes roughtly does if you eventually work as an IT professional. I am not a programmer but at least as a project manager, I can understand what my developer is telling me.

I pick up IT because I like computer game, but down the road in college regreted big time because the theories subject sucks, repeated a few modules due to lack of interest, but after working many years later and think back, it wasn't that bad actually as I have weathered a few financial storms, and this field is still in demand everywhere, compare to my engineering studies peers, all are down with low morale with lay off phrase buzzing every other day.

That's because we don't have a valley in Singapore.

However the closest to it in Singapore is River Valley.

:)

Ah. Heng he not there. Or he will die. I had to learn programming (just C, some java, actionscript, lego mindstorm) ontop of my core subjects, during lower sec.

Ttollollol. I never used them also. But at least I liked them...

Last edited:
Because we are not FT....so not welcome :lol:

That's not true, there are lots of foreigner (non US) working in Silicon Valley.
These programer get much lower paid in their home country and venture to overseas for better paid..

if programmer is getting low paid in SG, why dun venture out ?

Last edited:
Because we are not FT....so not welcome :lol:
That's not true, there are lots of foreigner (non US) working in Silicon Valley.
These programer get much lower paid in their home country and venture to overseas for better paid..

if programmer is getting low paid in SG, why dun venture out ?

US has very limited number of H1 (high-skilled) visa.

I had a classmate back in uni. He had previously spent 1 year doing engineering but couldn't cope, so he jumped to the same course as me (IT/CS).
Still he couldn't cope, so after the 1st year of IT/CS he jumped to Arts. And he managed to finish it but wasted 2 whole years and $$$.

US has very limited number of H1 (high-skilled) visa.

so to speak, it is not FT not welcomed. but only limited opportunities for high skill programmer ?
those could get the visa to work there, are highly skill hence average programmer there can dras USD5K to 6K..

or else, like IsenGrim said, stay in SG to have lower paid and to eat humble pie ??

dun get me wrong, not to start a flame but really wonder if there is a still a strong demand for good programmer, there is always good opporunity else where. Singapore being a global city, the people should also think globally. if this country could not one fulfill one's destiny, go somewhere to find it, ie...be a FT in Valley.

been studying stupid things that i know i wont be using in the future
what to do?

I work as office executive, but I also have to go to mail room to mail out document, go to machine to photocopy document, to scan/fax documents. All these have nothing to do to enhance my value to be manager in one day. these are all stupid things..

shall I not be doing this anymore ? and tell my boss to hire an office boy to do these stuff for me ?

dun mean to be offensive, but wonder why most of the programmer here dun venture to US ?

They do..... I have 2 programmer friends in the US now, working in the valley.
And another engineer friend working in Intel. Imagine a pHD in Intel is only a junior engineer's assistant! I was shocked when he told me.

All 3 love it there and would never return except to visit their families here.
They have started their own families over there with their Singaporean wives who also moved over.

dun get me wrong, not to start a flame but really wonder if there is a still a strong demand for good programmer, there is always good opporunity else where. Singapore being a global city, the people should also think globally. if this country could not one fulfill one's destiny, go somewhere to find it, ie...be a FT in Valley.

I agree, these days it's a global workplace. If you can't make it here, there are always opportunities elsewhere.
For example one of my friends who's now a programmer in VMWare - he was quite a blur fella and quite slow and lazy, I doubt he would have done well at all in Singapore.

But over in the US now he's so happy, every week see his family photos taken with Leica camera or X-Pro 1 and having a successful career.

so to speak, it is not FT not welcomed. but only limited opportunities for high skill programmer ?
those could get the visa to work there, are highly skill hence average programmer there can dras USD5K to 6K..

or else, like IsenGrim said, stay in SG to have lower paid and to eat humble pie ??

There is a cap on the number of H1 visas to be issued annually and it's not cheap - only the big tech companies like IBM etc can afford to go through the whole complicated application process. Naturally they'll only go for the top brains and most of them are from PRC, India etc. I saw more Asians working in Intel Arizona than angmoh.

silencer13 said:
I agree, these days it's a global workplace. If you can't make it here, there are always opportunities elsewhere.
For example one of my friends who's now a programmer in VMWare - he was quite a blur fella and quite slow and lazy, I doubt he would have done well at all in Singapore.

But over in the US now he's so happy, every week see his family photos taken with Leica camera or X-Pro 1 and having a successful career.

LooooL.. Remind me not to use VMware products

I work as office executive, but I also have to go to mail room to mail out document, go to machine to photocopy document, to scan/fax documents. All these have nothing to do to enhance my value to be manager in one day. these are all stupid things..

shall I not be doing this anymore ? and tell my boss to hire an office boy to do these stuff for me ?

If you become manager one day, you will be glad you know all these things if your executives go on reservist or maternity.

I suggest you get an office girl like this:

images