How to get a CHEAP BRAND NEW EOS 500D BODY at $652 nett

Status
Not open for further replies.
WX - I know la.. Thats why am "asking" nia..

Hehe..

Anyway, I think Canon is not DUMB to come up with this buy back program which is in existence for such a long time la. Canon is a company which is ultimately profit driven. Hence, I do believe that they provide such a "goodwill" service for profits also.

I wished I read the "buy back" thread before I sinked in 23xx at MS Color for my 50D Kit III. I would then save about $150 tho.

yes. i believe that canon earn alot of profit thats y they come out this buy back program as marketing strategies.

its like marlboro, marlboro earn alot of profits. and even the boss encouraging pple not to smoke. haha. same goes to canon. earn alot liao so less earn a bit its alright...;p

Hi guys, i am a newbie to photography. Recently, i have been thinking of getting a second hand DSLR to begin with. I am thinking of either 450D or 500D. So i happen to came by your post & am curious about it. Of course, if i could get a first hand 500D for $600+, it will be a good catch! Pls share with me more in details on how to go about this buyback program? thanks thanks!

:)

Hi, do you know where i can get this deal @ 1667 net?? cheers.

Using the Canon buyback program, just throw in a canon camera, film or digital (working / non-working).. you are entitled to 21% off the RRP.. No canon camera, no worries just go to karang guni, get a spoilt one at $5...

Canon EOS 500D + 18-200mm IS + 50mm F1.8 + EOS Bag + 8Gb SDHC = $1,667 nett, current canon promotion

Just sell the following items in BnS
18-200mm IS $850
50mm F1.8 $120
EOS Bag $25
8Gb SDHC $20
Total Amt $1015

Cost of 500D body = $1667 - $1015 = $652 nett!!!

You can mix and match to get a BRAND NEW 18-200mm IS lens for $600 nett.. haha.. dun say i never tell you this.. Now you know why there are SO MANY people selling their Kit Lens 1 or 2.. Or even the body... :bsmilie:

ENJOY!!!!

LENS are not eligible for BUYBACK, you need to get the body + lens package under this buy back program...

to summarise...

Its a Canon camera (film or digital) to buy a new Canon digital camera + lens package (where applicable). There is NO DIRECT buying of LENS

xD series are not eligible!

Hi guys, i am a newbie to photography. Recently, i have been thinking of getting a second hand DSLR to begin with. I am thinking of either 450D or 500D. So i happen to came by your post & am curious about it. Of course, if i could get a first hand 500D for $600+, it will be a good catch! Pls share with me more in details on how to go about this buyback program? thanks thanks!

clearly never read at all -.-

wasting everybody's time.

thanks for the post :D
i wish i do have an canon camera to trade in to get 500D.
hmm... I dont know where could i get one to trade.

does the condition of the buy back camera matter?

ie must it be spoilt?

:)

Welcome to CS

Read from the first page, you will find the answer

ahahahah like 5 replies within a few minutes ;p
nevermind...

im from a different cultural background, where we arent that budget, and dont want to cheat companies we support out of their money...
but i understand over here its do whatever you can to make the price cheaper regardless of anything else... so good luck to people that try this and uhh... have fun?

hahaha.. reading that, one would think that Canon is a barely surviving mom and pop store. Canon is a global giant, they would have had their highly paid accountants crunch the numbers to death making that promotion profitable in some manner.

The question should be asked whether Canon is supporting us (the everyday Joe enthusiast). Everyone knows there is a premium to pay for Canon cameras. I question whether that premium have been mainly used to developing their cameras or more used to finance their large marketing campaigns. Canon ads are everywhere on every media and who's financing all this? Yes, that's us the consumers and I'm sure Canon executives sleep very soundly at night knowing this.

I have a Canon 1000d because my fiancee insisted on having a Canon or Nikon. That's how effective their marketing campaign have been. I would have chosen a Pentax if it were really up to me.

Canon is a huge business making cameras, thats it. They will try to squeeze every cent from us. But to make them out to be something as an institution we should support just because we use their products is downright laughable.

fixie: why pentax ah? can PM me? i like to know more

as for the buy back program.. guys, why get so excited? yes u saved .. but if u buy the 500D kit II outside, it will cost u $250 more... (as the freebies are still same) .. then u divide equally, meaninig u pay $100 over more for the 18-200mm and $100 over more for the 500D body

its a saving, no doubt.. but its not something that shouts "DEAL OF THE CENTURY" kind..

As for canon, they not dumb.. if they get ppl to start with a canon SLR , or get some ppl to switch to canon SLR .. then imagine the future business they will get from the lens and accessories u will buy, not to mention earning some brand loyalties.. these are so much more valuable then that $250 lesser profit they make from selling u the 500D kit II

comon guys....
TS isnt asking us to profit from this thread..u wont be trading in 10 old camera for this package and earn by selling 10x lens!!!

its onli a sharing session and can see so many flaming..ermm...do u mean those who are against this idea...will not grab this bargain??? comon, then if u are so sacred to supporting canon retail price..then buy it at that price....wats the commotion abt saving abit here?

-.-

you studied economics before?

im talking about labour needed for repair services etc.

and what has economics got to do here? n so wat u study economic??? does that means u know more??? So how is the economy now? Hao Lian!

and what happens when you guys flood the BnS forums with 18-200's , bags and whatnot? You become desperate to sell because of competition, and eventually some people might not even be able to sell it :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

So???? its their problem or are u saying u r one of those who cant sell it becos TS post this n spoils ur market?

if canon sounds expensive to you, buy sony instead.:dunno:

N why cant we go for bargain to get a canon here...and must go get a sony becos we can onli afford sony at that price? comon la...

hahaha.. reading that, one would think that Canon is a barely surviving mom and pop store. Canon is a global giant, they would have had their highly paid accountants crunch the numbers to death making that promotion profitable in some manner.

The question should be asked whether Canon is supporting us (the everyday Joe enthusiast). Everyone knows there is a premium to pay for Canon cameras. I question whether that premium have been mainly used to developing their cameras or more used to finance their large marketing campaigns. Canon ads are everywhere on every media and who's financing all this? Yes, that's us the consumers and I'm sure Canon executives sleep very soundly at night knowing this.

I have a Canon 1000d because my fiancee insisted on having a Canon or Nikon. That's how effective their marketing campaign have been. I would have chosen a Pentax if it were really up to me.

Canon is a huge business making cameras, thats it. They will try to squeeze every cent from us. But to make them out to be something as an institution we should support just because we use their products is downright laughable.

i'm not making them look like a small shop?
dunno if youve noticed but canon make a lot more then just cameras... they are a huge company making printers, photocopiers, other optics, etc etc even t-shirts last time i checked... if they lose a little foothold in the camera market it really does not matter to them...

im just saying in my opinion there is something really strange about you if you honestly go through all that effort to save some money, which once everyone starts doing this little "trick", will be pretty much impossible to make as any 2nd hand store/area will be flooded with accesories for a 500D.

either way, this marketing thing is targeted at the lower end market for a reason, and with people like TS plastering this deal around all over the net its obvious canon will make at least some money out of it...

ps.
if you like pentax, go get one. :)

comon guys....
TS isnt asking us to profit from this thread..u wont be trading in 10 old camera for this package and earn by selling 10x lens!!!

its onli a sharing session and can see so many flaming..ermm...do u mean those who are against this idea...will not grab this bargain??? comon, then if u are so sacred to supporting canon retail price..then buy it at that price....wats the commotion abt saving abit here?

were not "creating a commotion"
me and krishna simply share the same views that it is plain stupid to go through so much effort to save a little money, which once you start looking at proffesional gear and equipment... 350 bucks is jack sh*t.
and before you start critiscing me too, yes i have worked with proffesionals and know what they do, and how much things cost.
last time i checked 350 bucks might, just might, get you a lower standard make up artist for a shoot... yeah thats about it... ;p

but whatever... i explained my viewpoints there...
if you would like to save money this way there is no problem with that, do have fun!

have a nice day! :D

Last edited:
As per my reply on the buy-back thread.....

There is no disputing this is a Good Deal ! Let's all however be sensible...and do the right thing....if you have an old camera and want to upgrade, great for you to have this information.

Canon has been very accomodating of this program (by virture of the manner in which they do not check the camera you are "trading in") because they are indeed still making money + keeping/gaining market share (because other makes have gained on them) BUT like many people have already commented....they are a global organisation that know how to make money (else how do they account to their shareholders) - through this promotion, you will get a very reasonably good DSLR body....which is simply the start of your journey with Canon (yes you can switch camp anytime).....you will continue to need lenses (assuming you continue to use Canon), flash guns, more lenses etc. This is where they will make even more money from you :eek:

TS - Sharing a good deal is fine....just like the previous thread which basically talked about this "Privileged Purchase" program BUT I personally feel that you are over-doing it by being so obvious (both in the title and the details of your post) - let's be realistic, there are a lot of people here who do not bother to read and figure out for themselves and want to be spoonfed and you are simply indulging them with your post. (apologies to all if I offend you in any way). :nono:

If in any way this program is tightened (for whatever reasons) or the models available are reduced (already the high end models have been excluded).....genuine upgraders will lose out....:(

Last edited:
actually.. if me, i also won't go through this trouble to save that money.. (meet up buyer, wait here n therE)BUT, i will go for this program if i want to buy and keep the whole set of a 500D kit II or even the Kit I (Kit I saving is much lesser compared to outside price)

ALTERNATIVELY.. one shld gather anothe person who wants the lens and you want to body or viceversa.. then go Canon to collect together.. then maybe it worth the hassle then.

ps.
if you like pentax, go get one. :)

Its not as simple as that. To us, a 1000d is a huge purchase especially with a wedding coming up. I paid for it, but we're sharing the camera. I'm not going to buy a camera I know she wouldn't have a good feeling about.

I could buy a separate Pentax for myself but it would be 1) financially irresponsible and 2) piss off the fiancee because of (1) and 3) we don't need 2 DSLRs. Sometimes, you have to put aside your wishes and go with what's rational.

lol! what an interesting thread...

anyway Weixiang pardon the question if its been answered previously, does the 50D body alone qualify for the privilege purchase programme?

cos so far people have been buying kits and in the xxxD series...

And someone had just posted @ B&S, wanted to buy a spoilt canon compact camera @ $5....hahaha....

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606364

Might as well give it to him free....hahaha.....

Btw, does compact camera also entitled in the canon buyback program?

thanks for putting this info up. its useful and good to know.

i think canon has various marketing strategies and customer service policies. don't be so quick to trade in your old spoilt camera. bring it in for an assessment if you have the time.

last year, my sister brought my very old canon digital ixus. it was the 1st one i think. 2.0 megapixel, body all silver metal (remember?). bought in 2001 i think. it was working well until the LCD went black one day. She brought it back to canon and they said this was a known issue but they didn't make the parts for that model any more as it was too old.

take note it was no longer on any warranty. The customer service girl proceeded to exchange the ixus with a new current model. she said it would be the equivalent of that old model today. totally FOC!! Yes, it was a free replacement. At first my sister thought there must be some catch to it, but there wasn't.

We were really impressed with their service.

As per my reply on the buy-back thread.....

There is no disputing this is a Good Deal ! Let's all however be sensible...and do the right thing....if you have an old camera and want to upgrade, great for you to have this information.

Canon has been very accomodating of this program (by virture of the manner in which they do not check the camera you are "trading in") because they are indeed still making money + keeping/gaining market share (because other makes have gained on them) BUT like many people have already commented....they are a global organisation that know how to make money (else how do they account to their shareholders) - through this promotion, you will get a very reasonably good DSLR body....which is simply the start of your journey with Canon (yes you can switch camp anytime).....you will continue to need lenses (assuming you continue to use Canon), flash guns, more lenses etc. This is where they will make even more money from you :eek:

TS - Sharing a good deal is fine....just like the previous thread which basically talked about this "Privileged Purchase" program BUT I personally feel that you are over-doing it by being so obvious (both in the title and the details of your post) - let's be realistic, there are a lot of people here who do not bother to read and figure out for themselves and want to be spoonfed and you are simply indulging them with your post. (apologies to all if I offend you in any way). :nono:

If in any way this program is tightened (for whatever reasons) or the models available are reduced (already the high end models have been excluded).....genuine upgraders will lose out....:(

:thumbsup: well said.

I just called the canon sale line. And it say the Canon Buyback program is only application for spoil cameras that is unable or too expensive to repair...

Status
Not open for further replies.