How much do you charge for an AD wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't u start with $800 for AD when u first started as a freelancer? And u had clients then becos they were comfortable with u? or becos u were cheap?

Last edited:
Can the title WPJA be bought? What does it mean to have that title anyway? Do they need to pass an exam or something? Surely not!?

To qualify for WPJA, you have to submit a form and the panel will visit your website and view your portfolio. If your works conform to their requirements(less than 20% details or poses shots etc) than you just pay US$300 and you are one of their members liao. No exams needed.

Some of us started low because we need to get the job/portfolios/practise. The client should know that they get what they pay for. I'm sure we all started from somewhere. Even Gabriel Mendes started with $500 AD packages. Well, look at him now.

To qualify for WPJA, you have to submit a form and the panel will visit your website and view your portfolio. If your works conform to their requirements(less than 20% details or poses shots etc) than you just pay US$300 and you are one of their members liao. No exams needed.

Some of us started low because we need to get the job/portfolios/practise. The client should know that they get what they pay for. I'm sure we all started from somewhere. Even Gabriel Mendes started with $500 AD packages. Well, look at him now.
Thx. SO it can be bought afterall. At least Mendes dun work himself in forums telling others "it's not abt the budget" when he has made it.

But Im sure there are others who charge reasonably cheap and are very good. I guess it all depends on your luck who u pick to shoot your weddings?

I guess so. But luck is unfair to the marrying couple. And too uncertain for a shoddy photographer to undertake an assignment. It's a wedding.

If only photography is such a serious business that there are proper exams and a body to constantly review the standards of photographers. It's a hefty thing but that's the only way to maintain some form of standard.

After my colleague's experience, all I can say is that the wedding photography scene here can be "anything goes".

It's amazing how some can blatantly say, Why care so much, as long as the couple is happy... If you have that narrow-minded thinking and attitude, you'll never raise the photography standards here. And don't blame the multitude of free-lancers who are coming out in packs and charge cheaply to threaten the pros' livelihood.

And for those who are searching for a photographer, I'd say take it easy on the WPJA rating when it comes to selecting your photographer. It may not mean that big a deal.

Some of us started low because we need to get the job/portfolios/practise. The client should know that they get what they pay for.

Definitely not in my colleague's case. It's all right to expect less creativity or a more simplistic approach when you don't pay the photographer so much. He did pay quite a bit but the expectations fell short.

But when simple technical errors are made one too many, it becomes very dubious. It doesn't matter if the photographer charges $500 or $5000. It's a sin to commit those errors, as far as photographic techniques are concerned.

portfolio and wpja rating amount to nothing. the best is ask the potential photographer to do some quick shoot on the spot and view there and then. Also request him not to delete any shot.

Ah don't forget to bring along an expert in photography creativeness and technicalities to evaluate the photo.

How much is 'higher than average price'? Don't mind, do share......

This is indeed shocking...

I thought I was one of the few who encountered friends' albums with low photography standards from their photographers.

My colleague's one is the most "yuan wang". He didn't cut on costs. Paid a supposed pro photographer in this forum "higher than average" price and who is supposedly good. But when the final products came, it was a shocker to see that the technicalities expected of him were not there.

Despite so many of us seemingly discussing and owning expensive cameras in Singapore, It's really sad that the standard of appreciation for photography here is not there generally.

I think we have a loooong way to go.

I'm not into the business, but after reading through this, I think it works both ways - the photographer whose results fall short will have bad reputation, and might affect his future business, but not all couples are good photographers in the first place.

To the couple, if they have complaints, they can raise hell and all about it, but it's a trust they choose to place on him/her in the first place. To us photographers, we have a different yardstick when it comes to comparing photography as a whole and wedding photography. If the couple enjoys the photos, quoting a view I read somewhere in the forum, do you want to spoil it by telling them that they're actually falling short on what they should be getting?

After all, besides getting good photos, the business is also about doing a transaction, among the 2 parties. It's not really fair for us to throw in our views and expect a common standard/yardstick/payment to be upheld - sounds like red tape to me. To be really fair, if any photographer decides to step into the business, he/she should go into every single wedding knowing he/she has tried his/her best to capture the moments that mean everything for the couple, and having the capability to do so too.

Would it raise the standard of photography as a whole if there is one being implemented? Maybe. Would it raise appreciation for good photos by the couple? I don't think anyone can safely concur on this.

After all, it's how much the couple enjoys the whole thing - the experience/moment/memories, and trying to capture everything with a value they feel is worth it.

Last edited:
If the couple enjoys the photos, quoting a view I read somewhere in the forum, do you want to spoil it by telling them that they're actually falling short on what they should be getting?

I think it's not so much about 'spoiling it' for the couple, but more about being honest with them, especially so if they are your friends.

Reminder: This is off-topic though.

Thread title: How much do you charge for an AD wedding

Exactly what I think. It's a complete shocker. This colleague of mine employed a local WPJA photographer. But when I looked at the shots, it's really shocking that, as you mentioned, the understanding of exposure wasn't there at all. And many shots were just off for some reason or another. All I can say is, you can't tell before hand this was going to happen. That's how deceptive it is.

But on the photographer's website, he has all the nice flowery words like... Let me capture your Big Day, preserve your wonderful memories, your album won't collect dust, blah blah... And tis another shocker: He uses top of the line Nikon DSLRs with kick a** lenses that many here will dream of.

So please, those of you out there, if you cannot really shoot weddings, DON'T! Your equipment is nothing if you ain't got the skills. Let the real pros handle the job.

how much did your friend paid for the photographer service?
the price range btw wpja is around $1k to $6k

my frd just had one wedding, paid 1400 for the photographer, not sure whether he has wpja

Booked online, managed to get 30% discount... 5 minutes walk to Effiel tower, let me know if you want the hotel contact :D

Had to scrim and save some dough to buy chocolate from La Maison du Chocolat and Pierre Marcollini for my folks, chewing on one right now as I'm typing. Item #1 of 2 on my shopping list for Paris, and I only had time to buy them while the couple were doing their 2nd makeup in the van.

Oops, OT. :D

Could you share where to book an affordable (below €90) hotel near Effiel tower? Looking to go there for a holiday next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.