How long can/will you keep your dslr+lens?

agree, camera lenses or whatever are suppose to treat as tools,
when you don't use them, they are useless.

you can keep them for sentimental value,
but don't expect to recover your money.

Wah great sharing. Thanks for your thoughts guys. It really gives me more insight about this matter. Great to hear from the pros. Really appreciate it.

I'm still learning and just started out in photography about a year ago and really enjoyed the sport (if u would call it a 'sport' haha). Yea and it can be an expensive hobby heh. Guess I'd really have to just treat all the gear as tools and forget about being too sentimental about them. (Have grown attached to my dslr gear lol).

But kind to think of it, it's quite shiok to keep all our old gear and keep it as a personal museum ah haha. A good remembrance about our old days, and how our experience was like.

Good lenses last you a long time... The newer lenses seems to need more maintainance. I use my gear heavily so I change the parts once it needed replacement and if the technology is still good to use, keep using it.

I have A900 for 3+ years now, it still works really well but the rubber seems to loosen up. Same as my Carl Zeiss lens... Needed a service I suppose. I wish the lenses are made like leica lenses... It simply stunning.

Just keep using it until it die on you I suppose. Unless you do it commercially, most lenses, even the plastic kit lens will last for quite a while.

Hart

Hart

Technology can improve, but law of physics Wun change. You will need a 400mm filter for your 70-200/0.5 lens lol

:) never say never. There is already active development to make lens as flat as a piece of paper (source: https://www.seas.harvard.edu/news-events/press-releases/flat-lens-offers-perfect-image)

Heck even Lytro LF packaged a 43-340mm f/2 lens in a barrel the size of a lipstick. Technology evolves so fast that whatever you bought today will be obsolete tomorrow.

:) never say never. There is already active development to make lens as flat as a piece of paper (source: https://www.seas.harvard.edu/news-events/press-releases/flat-lens-offers-perfect-image)

Heck even Lytro LF packaged a 43-340mm f/2 lens in a barrel the size of a lipstick. Technology evolves so fast that whatever you bought today will be obsolete tomorrow.

Haha. I hope you are not debating for the sake of debating.

Yes, technology is improving, tremendously in fact. But certain thing really do not change, unless you have a new governing body in the photography world that changes the way photographic terminologies are defined.

Aperture values are a function of your lens focal length. If u have a 70-200/0.5 lens, the aperture need to be at least 200/0.5=400mm in diameter, and ur barrel and filter size even larger. Unless u are saying the aperture opening can be bigger than lens barrel via some other means.

The lytro values u provided, is the effective focal length. They are using a smaller crop sensor, albeit a revolutionary one. I guess you fell for their marketing ploy...

But kind to think of it, it's quite shiok to keep all our old gear and keep it as a personal museum ah haha. A good remembrance about our old days, and how our experience was like.

I keep some lenses even older than my age. :)

I keep some lenses even older than my age. :)

Haha nice! :) Too bad my forefathers aren't into photography, otherwise I would be able to enjoy those legendary lenses and also be more exposed to this art a long time ago. Oh well, guess I'll be the one keeping lenses for my great grand children haha (hopefully there'll be no radical technological changes, e.g. disruptive innovation of sorts, to our photography gear).