How do you handle your laundry?

The most important separation is between colours. Once you experience the miracle of white shirts coming out pink you will know :)
The second separation is material, although it's less critical for the commonly used ones. Only sensitive material (silk, wool etc) needs to be handled separately. Cotton, cotton-mix and synthetic fibers can happily go together up to 40C temperature. Another group to separate is heavily stained or oily clothes and bed sheets. All underwear can go together, the washing process is meant to clean and sanitize them (there are add-ons for that). I don't see any hygienic concerns here. Once it's dry just ask everyone to pick their stuff.
If you are also venturing into ironing shirts you will welcome the option of not spinning shirts at maximum speed. Helps to reduce wrinkles.

The most important separation is between colours. Once you experience the miracle of white shirts coming out pink you will know :)
The second separation is material, although it's less critical for the commonly used ones. Only sensitive material (silk, wool etc) needs to be handled separately. Cotton, cotton-mix and synthetic fibers can happily go together up to 40C temperature. Another group to separate is heavily stained or oily clothes and bed sheets. All underwear can go together, the washing process is meant to clean and sanitize them (there are add-ons for that). I don't see any hygienic concerns here. Once it's dry just ask everyone to pick their stuff.
If you are also venturing into ironing shirts you will welcome the option of not spinning shirts at maximum speed. Helps to reduce wrinkles.

locals believe men's and women underwears can't wash together, there are cases of maid abuse, because of their maids put all the undies into one wash.

Last edited:
just wear sarong, can save money without buying disposables
but still have to wash sarong. Unless you air wash the sarong as in airing the sarong as you walk. Must be a weird kind of walking stance if you do that :bsmilie:

locals believe men's and women underwears can't wash together, there are cases of maid abuse, because of their maids put all the undies into one wash.
Oh Dear :sweat: .. A modern washing machine against age-old superstition..

Hand wash the socks la.

All underwear can go together, the washing process is meant to clean and sanitize them (there are add-ons for that). I don't see any hygienic concerns here. Once it's dry just ask everyone to pick their stuff.

Undies all cannot mixed. Don't ask me why. Try convincing the ladies in your house.

I think maybe still have to handwash undies. Is there a way to fully automate the washing and ironing process? I am trying to do away with the maid. And don't want to squat in the toilet scrubbing underwear. It makes my hands rough. Later my gfs don't want me to fondle them saying I am too rough :). On a serious note, a lot of time is spent washing and ironing clothes.

I think it helps if we have some home-makers chip in. Guys just bundle everything in together. :)

Last edited:
Undies all cannot mixed. Don't ask me why. Try convincing the ladies in your house.

I think maybe still have to handwash undies. Is there a way to fully automate the washing and ironing process? I am trying to do away with the maid. And don't want to squat in the toilet scrubbing underwear. It makes my hands rough. Later my gfs don't want me to fondle them saying I am too rough :). On a serious note, a lot of time is spent washing and ironing clothes.
just wear dryfit tops and sarongs, it dry very fast and don't need to iron.

I think it helps if we have some home-makers chip in. Guys just bundle everything in together. :)
Go ask in parenting forums, those stay at home mums and dads got lots of tips can share with you.

Is there a washer that mimic handwash . I know there are quite a few that have this feature but really scrubbing handwash. My mom is quite particular about this. She insists that clothes will not be clean until you give it a scrub.

Hand scrubbing makes sense if you're targeting stubborn stains, but I think it wears out clothes faster without making things any cleaner. It might have made sense in an era without washing machines, but I think modern machines agitate the clothes for so much longer and harder than one can scrub, so even if it seems less vigorous because the machine is relatively quite, I think the duration makes up for it. Plus, the average person's clothes (school uniform, office wear, home wear, sportswear) are not going to require intense scrubbing unless you're talking about really soiled stuff – think reservist #4 after rainy outfield, caked with sweat and mud, or greasy coveralls if you're a mechanic. Even then, I'd just soak them separately in soapy water to loosen debris/dirt, then run them in a separate wash.

A simple explanation I found:

A washing machine works by agitating the clothes and water and soap. The clothes actually hit each other and help force the water and soap through the clothes forcing the tiny particles of dirt and perspiration out of the clothes and into the main water. spin the water with the tiny particles out, clean water added, spin and done.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081019211815AAbqahA

You could try doing an A-B test with various items. One machine washed and one hand washed and ask her if she feels one is cleaner than the other? I don't know how old your mum is, but beyond a certain age, it's probably impossible to convince her otherwise. No choice, you gotta miss out on technological advances and just do things the way she likes to make her happy :)

To be honest, unless there are items of clothing/undergarments that are heavily soiled with bodily fluids (vomit, faeces, blood, etc), there's no 'hygiene issue' as the detergent will do its work (see How Laundry Detergent Works). You could also look into using oxygen bleach (Vanish O2 for example). I think it's more a matter of personal preference or traditional mindsets/habits. Back in the day they probably grew up without disposable sanitary pads and panty liners we have now. Perhaps that's why they grew up washing their undergarments separately? Can be hard to change, I know... When my grandma was still around, she also subscribed to this belief.

At my parents' place, everything's thrown in together. At my place, there's not much difference between the way my wife and I do laundry. She does prefer to separate dark and light-colours when there's enough for two loads, but that's about it. So it's not true that that's a guy thing. :)

Some basic tips:

SORTING AND INSPECTING LAUNDRY
Sort and check all clothes before putting them into the washer. This will help keep clothes looking nice longer. Choosing the right water temperature for different fabrics and treating stains before laundering also keep clothes looking nice.

How to Sort Clothes into Groups
- Test colored clothes to see if the colors run. If they do, wash them separately or with other clothes of the same color.
- To keep white clothes bright, don't wash them with colored clothes.
- Do not wash lightly soiled clothes with those that are heavily soiled.
- Sort clothes that shed lint from those that don't.
- Separate delicate items from sturdy ones.
- Don't overload the washer. Each load of clothes should have enough room for good washing action.
- Mix small items with large ones for good washing action. For example, put wash cloths and towels in with sheets.

Pretreating and Removing Stains
Before washing, rub heavily soiled areas such as shirt collars or cuffs with a wet bar of soap, liquid detergent, or a paste made with powdered detergent and water. This will loosen heavy soil.
On permanent press clothes, pretreat grease spots with soap or detergent and let stand for at least two hours.

ELIMINATING GERMS FROM CLOTHES
Boiling clothes or hanging them in the sunshine were once common ways to get rid of germs. With modern fabrics, fabric finishes, and washing methods, other ways can be used to disinfect the family laundry. Liquid chlorine bleach that contains 5.25% sodium hypochlorite will destroy most germs. Quaternary, pine oil, or phenolic disinfectants can be safely used on any washable fabrics. Pine oil disinfectants must contain at least 80% pine oil to destroy germs.
It is always a good idea to use a disinfectant in the wash when someone in the family has a bad cold, the flu, or some other infectious illness. Disinfecting the wash will help prevent other family members from getting the same illness.

http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_c/c-503.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Shizuma
in our house, everyone washes their own clothes with the machine
no issue of mixing undies
i will dettol and vanish my clothes too

just use laundry bags for polos, shirt, pants and more expensive ones - but then i don wear branded
for boxers, brief , cheaps ts i just throw directly into the machine cos probably after 1-1.5yrs i donate them away as they turn from M-XXXL or faded in color

if i wear light color , then the whole week i will do the same
and then end of the week i throw everything in the machine, no need to sort out the color
the worst is that the dark color clothes maybe cover with lint

i also don soak my clothes, i can finished them in 2-4 hours
my sis can soak in the machine for 1-2 days not sure lazy or ...

get laundry bag from daiso , they are the best hahhahaha
at least can last for >1yr

Last edited:
Start your own laundry cleaning business.
> In that way, you will always have enough washing machines for all your headaches.

Or if you are not into business,
> Bring all your clothes to the public washing machine and use all of those at one time (one machine for different category of clothes). Go at odd-hours to avoid queues.