How abt a thread that shows ugly singaporeans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the ugly singapore baby....

One day, 4 babies were born at K.K. Hospital: a German, a Jewish, a Filipino and a Singaporean.

However, someone mixed up the babies by mistake, and the nurses couldn't differentiate between them.

However, the head sister had a bright idea. She lined the babies up in front of her and exclaimed, "Heil Hitler!"

At hearing this, the German baby raised his arm in a salute, while the Jewish baby soiled his diapers. In the meantime, the Singaporean baby turned to the Filipino baby and yelled, "Clean that up!!!"

the ugly singapore baby....

One day, 4 babies were born at K.K. Hospital: a German, a Jewish, a Filipino and a Singaporean.

However, someone mixed up the babies by mistake, and the nurses couldn't differentiate between them.

However, the head sister had a bright idea. She lined the babies up in front of her and exclaimed, "Heil Hitler!"

At hearing this, the German baby raised his arm in a salute, while the Jewish baby soiled his diapers. In the meantime, the Singaporean baby turned to the Filipino baby and yelled, "Clean that up!!!"

Haha! My filipino friend told me this joke and he can still laugh about it. :)

if i'm at the front of the queue, i never allow others behind me to board if there are still passengers alighting. i'd physically use my body to block their advance and verbally request that they queue up. so far, none have made attempts to squeeze after i've told them off. locals and foreigners alike

I tried to alight from the train once and an extended family of tourists dashed into the train without letting me alight first. :bsmilie: I had to squeeze my way out as they didn't understand the word "excuse me!" I guess they are just excited and in their culture,they probably don't wait for others to alight first. :)

However if Singaporeans do that,i'll get annoyed. I guess i have higher standards for my fellow countrymen. :)

I'm a bit surprised at some of you complaining about the foreigners. You sound like Americans, especially like New Yorkers. :bsmilie:

Japan has its disadvantages. I think it's too orderly sometimes and individuality is crushed. The U.S.A. is just the opposite. Everyone is special. They could use some order. Singapore is somewhere in-between, right?

*prepares to get flamed*

First some clarifications - when we say "foreign talents", I think it usually refers to white collar workers and not the ones who work under the sun and build our homes etc. (they are more generally and usually termed "foreign workers").

I appreciate the "foreign workers" doing work that no Singaporeans want, but watching them go about their work at times, you can't help but wonder if that many of them actually needs to be "imported" to perform their tasks.

"Foreign talents" on the other hand, are sometimes real talents, sometimes overpaid foreigners, and most times an excuse for companies to get cheap labour.

Go to Little India or Jurong Point and you’ll see lots of foreign workers. Go to Orchard Road and you’ll lots of tourists and highly paid foreign talents. Go to heartland shopping malls and you’ll still see lots of foreigners. Granted that there should be plenty of Singaporeans in the mix in all these places, but if you consider the ratios, it shouldn’t be hard to see why the locals are getting defensive. If “foreign imports” are at a manageable rate, there’s usually sufficient time and space to assimilate them into the local culture. If however, they come in droves, then it is likely that they will bring with them, and stick to, their own culture. (E.g. fighting to get on buses so crowded that people have to cling on to the window bars while standing on the exterior. I hope Singapore never has to go that way.)

Take for example, a small group of 8 (be it a task force group for work or a school project group). If there are only 1 or 2 foreigners, and assuming the locals are gracious, they will likely attempt to befriend the foreigners so that they don’t feel ostracized. If you have a ratio of 4:4 or sometimes even 2:6 of locals to foreigners, then banding, or cliques, occurs and the group becomes spilt into two sub-groups, rarely mixing together to understand each other. Brought up in such an environment, is it surprising that we have developed an “each man for himself” mentality as a society?

When it comes to graciousness, I’ve seen how a group of youngsters of the same nationality, took up a whole row of MRT seats while playing on their PSP, joking and talking with each other and comparing their how lousy their host country is compared to their home country, all the while being totally oblivious to the pregnant lady standing right in front of them on a crowded train. And within the same day, I also saw people of mixed nationalities (I believe some are Singaporeans) took up an entire row, each minding their own business such as reading, napping, or staring blankly into space, and once again ignoring the pregnant lady standing right in front of them. At other times I’ve witnessed locals and foreigners alike giving up their seats on the bus to the elderly, pregnant women, or parents with young kids.

My point is (if you actually bothered to read through all that), graciousness, or the lack of it, cannot be blamed on any one group or nationality. It’s just that our environment, crafted in the name of remaining competitive for survival, isn’t conducive for developing a gracious culture. Regardless of how many “courtesy campaigns” the government starts.

Singapore is not what it used to be 5 years ago. I'm not against foreigners, but seriously, there are too many of them now. Sometimes I feel like a foreigner in my own country.

My ex-colleague is a Singaporean, aka ex-Chinese National. Every time he needs to write an email, he'll ask me for help. During Chinese New Year, he tell everyone he's going "home" to celebrate. When I asked him shouldn't Singapore be your home? He'll let out the biggest laughter and look at me as if I'm an idiot. This type I don't appreciate :thumbsd:

Singapore is not what it used to be 5 years ago. I'm not against foreigners, but seriously, there are too many of them now. Sometimes I feel like a foreigner in my own country.

My ex-colleague is a Singaporean, aka ex-Chinese National. Every time he needs to write an email, he'll ask me for help. During Chinese New Year, he tell everyone he's going "home" to celebrate. When I asked him shouldn't Singapore be your home? He'll let out the biggest laughter and look at me as if I'm an idiot. This type I don't appreciate :thumbsd:

Well, get over it. I had heard well paid FT laughing over his lady boss, calling her "dam stupid" for getting him a Spore PR. He said its such a cheap card, no future value, compared to being a Chinese citizen. But being the apple of the eye, he does and say anything he wants. And btw, he knocks off work the earliest and comes to work after 9am. But all well timed before his boss arrive/leaves. And his pay? oh well, just over 10k a month. He said he could easily get 3x that in hk. Singapore pay is pathetic, but he is using it as a bridge.

So, being singaporeans, we dont have to bother. We continue to enjoy what there is and call it home

So, being singaporeans, we dont have to bother. We continue to enjoy what there is and call it home

Not much left for us already. Have you been to Sentosa on a weekend? Or worse still, a long holiday weekend? ;p

I wonder what the streets will be like when the 2 IR opens :bsmilie:

Well, get over it. I had heard well paid FT laughing over his lady boss, calling her "dam stupid" for getting him a Spore PR. He said its such a cheap card, no future value, compared to being a Chinese citizen. But being the apple of the eye, he does and say anything he wants. And btw, he knocks off work the earliest and comes to work after 9am. But all well timed before his boss arrive/leaves. And his pay? oh well, just over 10k a month. He said he could easily get 3x that in hk. Singapore pay is pathetic, but he is using it as a bridge.

10k a month? :bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:

i want too. now my pay so low... :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.