Hooray...e500 here i come...

Status
Not open for further replies.
selamatlzh said:
I just want to share my experience with lens which has aperture size more than f4.5.

You will have BIG problem using flash. Before I am using the kit lens, I cannot extend to full zoom to use flash photography as it is using 5.6 after half way through. In the end I have to use my 40-150 and it works well. At 150mm and f4.5, I am still be able to get decent light, 45mm at f5.6 on the kit lens is unusable.

IF you are planning to use under lighted condition, 18-180 will be good.
I don't quite understand what you mean... why can't you 'extend to full zoom to use flash photography as it is using 5.6 after half way through'? Did you mean you wanted an aperture less than 5.6 eg 3.5, at full zoom with the kit lens? This is of course a limitation of the lens itself and has nothing to do with whether the flash is used or not.
And what did you actually mean when you say that '45mm at f5.6 on the kit lens is unusable'. :dunno:

wooooooo...i'm having multiple orgas now....not with my wife but the e500. :bsmilie:
the body is voluptous, well-toned (built) and the shutter sound....it purrrs silently....

Even for a plastic dslr it feels solid.....the lcd screen.....wat can i say....

I must thank my wife deep deep tonite..... ;)

My shopping spree @ CP:
- e500 with kit lens
- fl36
- 40-150mm lens

apart from the 1gb card, i dont need all the freebies.....hint, hint

I'm in love with this cam already..........

May i know how much you get for the 40-150mm n the fl36 ?? need to plan by budget abit.. haha

Raptor1 said:
May i know how much you get for the 40-150mm n the fl36 ?? need to plan by budget abit.. haha

Bought it at CP:

40-150mm lens @S$390.00 (Cash/Nets only & excludes 5% GST)
FL-36 flash @S$295.00 (Cash/Nets only & excludes 5% GST)

chainsmoker said:
Congrats,

Why no pics yet ?

Batt charging izit :bsmilie:

batt charging....no pics becos i'm a P&S guy and know nuts abt fotography.
I need to attend foto-workshops to understand basic fotography concepts

:dunno:

the 11-22mm is on my hit-list.......will get it without my other-half knowing......stealth operation.:bsmilie:

I love wa lens.....good for holiday trips.

Wah.. looks like Oly accessories are getting cheaper now!

I bought my 40-150 at $450, FL-36 at $320. So, it's like 10% cheaper!

major_tom said:
the 11-22mm is on my hit-list.......will get it without my other-half knowing......stealth operation.:bsmilie:

I love wa lens.....good for holiday trips.

Hi, don't walk... run to buy the 11-22mm! It is an amazingly sharp lens, very uncommon for a superwide. Anyhow snapped a few pics with the E-500 + 11-22mm after getting it and results are great, even when using 5MP (2560 x 1920). Below is one test shot taken in a dark bedroom lit only by a table lamp:

Resized:
PC100574_resize.jpg

Cropped:
PC100574_cropped.jpg

Image Details:
Equipment: E-500 + 11-22mm
Focal Length: 22mm
F-Number: F/3.5
Exposure Time: 1/30 (Handheld)
ISO Speed: 200
Resolution: 2560 x 1920 (SQ)
Only used auto-levels in PS, no sharpening applied

Now I know I can take nice macro shots for posting on the web by cropping the picture! :bsmilie:

tao, what was were cropped size - at 100%?
Also at what distance did you take the subject?
Solly, noob questions :dunno:

major_tom said:
tao, what was were cropped size - at 100%?
Also at what distance did you take the subject?
Solly, noob questions :dunno:

Cropped sized showed 100% of the image, no resizing. But note that I took the image at 5MP setting, something I used for 'normal shots' to save space and reduce postprocessing time as the quality is already so good. Distance from object was about 30cm.

Have to admit that this wasn't a good test shot though, to demonstrate the capabilities of the lens.

actually I always thought that olympus made a mistake in making the 11-22mm f2.8-f3.5.

Almost everyone with an oly DSLR has a 14mm lens.. so making another lens at 11mm does not seem attractive to me.

I rather have a 9-18mm f4 (which is 12-24 mm on a nikon DSLR) lens rather than a 11-22 mm f2.8-f3.5 lens. The nikon/canon/minolta has so many 12-24mm lens to choose from. Oly has the 11-22 mm which is neither here nor there. I don't know why they went for the f2.8. They should made a wider lens at f4. I will buy the 9-18mm f4 lens if it cost like $1k...

Well you can always buy the 7mm-14mm, even wider than the 12-24mm on the Nikons and much sharper too. :)

I don't find the 11-22mm neither here nor there. When it is on my camera, it is on all the way when I take site photos and landscape shots as the 11-22mm is what it is... just right... for wide angle photography. The 11mm is actually much more wider than the 14mm of the kit lens than you think. Try it and you will know what I mean. When I need more zoom, I jumped straight to the rather excellent 40-150mm therefore the 14-45mm kit lens is hardly used.

As for the 7-14mm, it is one monster wide angle lens with a crazy perspective to me that I don't need at all. Neither can I afford it. :D

NMSS_2 said:
11-22 was such a big mistake that i permanently placed my 14-45 into dry box. :(

u mean u regretted buying the 11-22mm? I dont quite understand your response leh :dunno: or are u pulling my leg??? :bsmilie:

I think he meant dat it was such a mistake on olympus part that they should have made the 11-22 as kit lens. :bsmilie:

The 11-22 mm correspond to a 15-30mm lens on a D70. It is basically around halfway between the 12-24mm and the normal 18-xx mm kit lens. I do agree the extra 3mm is quite significant but the fact remains that is is HALFWAY between the 12-24mm lens and 18-xx mm kit lens.

I agree it is a good lens as there are so many happy users of it. That is what makes it more irritating. If it is a lousy lens, it would not tempt me so much :)

I have the 14-54mm lens so it is kind of a luxury to spend $1k just for the 11mm, not to mention the hassle of changing lens.

lets not measure in mm. The FOV for 1122 is 89degree vs 75degree, i.e 15degree or 1/5 wider. Simply great for taking ppl and scenary.

Hi Bros
I'm a newbie in clubsnap. Hope you seasoned hands can guide me along.
I majored in photography in university but that was close to 10 years ago. Was really into it and got quite good but haven't really touched the camera for a while and therefore khave lost touch. My outfit is still fully analog and all Canon, except for the Canon A95 I bought for my office. I'm doing marketing and external affairs you see, so do need a snapper every do often.
Am thinking the time is right to go digital cos the prices have come down a bit, but am torn between what to get.
I'm still in love with Canon and am considering the 350D and 20D. The D50 and D70s Nikons are also in the running. Recently I've also heard alot about the Olympus E500.
The Nikons are more the pro range but cannot match the Canons in resolution and they're about the same price. This is what is tearing me apart.
Any suggestions and advice? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.