Ho ho ho, smrt bus drivers go on strike

I thing that I cannot understand is how could company or individual employ foreigner without first declaring where they are going to house these people? Isn't that the most fundamental requirement? If you register 10 workers, you produce the address you are going to house them first. If the MOM checks and found they are not housed according to what you declare, fine them!

I don't think that is easily do-able in reality. Foreign workers (myself included!) often move houses (either to save money, or cannot tahan the house/roommate etc etc).

The PRC may not wanna come here to work in the near future. Last I heard, the salary they earn here is almost on par with what they can earn back home.....it will create another problem then, who to drive those buses and build the buildings??

Bearing exactly the same job responsibilities, working environment, same cost of living, same punishments for non compliance why should I as a foreign worker be paid even one cent less? Is this discrimination?

What so good to take advantage of this place? So freaking expensive, congested and polluted,

Bearing exactly the same job responsibilities, working environment, same cost of living, same punishments for non compliance why should I as a foreign worker be paid even one cent less? Is this discrimination?

What so good to take advantage of this place? So freaking expensive, congested and polluted,

It is discrimination. It's discrimination they're willing to put up with (for now).

Before they come, they compare against what they get back home. When they come over, they will start comparing among themselves and back home. So don't take me like a sucker. It's time to take stock, compare notes, unite and protest.

Before they come, they compare against what they get back home. When they come over, they will start comparing among themselves and back home. So don't take me like a sucker. It's time to take stock, compare notes, unite and protest.

:bsmilie::bsmilie:
Are you trying to incite a strike? Better quote first in case later someone report you.

Working the same hours, environment etc does not make sense to be paid less. Any reason so? Because I come from a poorer country, you want to take advantage of me? Because you locals have a phd as a driver? because you locals have 4 eyes, i have 2? No. They should not only be paid the same as foreigner workers in fact in par with locals! Don't let them take you for a ride. Speak up now and be a sucker for 2 hours than be a sucker for life.

Quote this too :bsmilie:

Oh come on! If you or any of them are not happy with the treatment here, then you can always go back home. Those that stayed on obviously find that it is still better off than back home.

Anyway, if the treatment was that SMRT or any company that hire them did not do their part as stated in the contract or didn't give them pay, medical services and the such, then yes, by all mean do something... complain to your embassy, talk to MOM, whatever.

Although I do support the nortion whereby foreigners working here should be treated the same, same pay increment, same bouses, same punishment for wrongdoing, etc etc. And of course, if they also get the same treatment as what we locals get, also can... and in the end, companies might find it not worth while to hire these people from overseas (not forgetting to calculate taxes that these companies needed to pay for each and every foreigners being brought in), then we locals have more jobs opening :)

Just refusing to go to work is between employee and employer and maybe union. Send a red riot command vehicle there for what huh? Ho ho ho.

Protest is not a strike. Only poor command of English think so. Ho ho ho

My manager gives me freaking a lot of work. I protest. Am I going in strike? Siow!

My manager gives me freaking a lot of work. I protest. Am I going in strike? Siow!

What, no strike?
Then after protest what happen? Guai guai go back to work. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Actually strike means to cause stoppage of work.

If manager give someone too much work, he/she protested, depending on how that protest came about (might be verbal protest to that said manager, might be complain launched to top management, etc etc) and that don't amount to strike. If that person refuses to go to work without valid reasons, and that means it is missing without valid reasons, to that person, it is a strike, to the company, they are missing 1 person and would/might take disciplinary action against that person.

So depending on how one look at things, rather than accusing other with poor command of English (which is childish and uncalled for).

Protesting due to unfair employment terms, living conditions etc is good as it brings to authority unfair practices. The question is how you do it. Strike or negotiating table or approaching higher authorities etc?

Oh... by the way, I am not supporting SMRT or whatsoever, I still believe that anyone (be it locals, foreigners or aliens) who came in and work, they should get the same treatment, same salary, same pay increment, same benefits, etc etc. And I believe that with enough pay being issued, there are no such thing as local not wanting the jobs that are currently being occupied by foreigners... and that locals are in any way inferior to foreigners.

Actually in this case, we do not know alot of things such as why the Malaysians are receiving more pay increment and bonus as compared to the PRC drivers? until now we only see one side story from the Chinese that complained and nothing from SMRT yet. Maybe, the Chinese who came in are provided with living quarters while the Malaysians are not. Or maybe the Malaysians are PR while the Chinese are only here on work pass? There are many thing unknown.

Temper are flying all over the place... but if we calmly sit down and wait for a while, maybe things will be clearer.

Not defending the SMRT or those that protest/ refuse to go to work/ on strike... just that we should wait wait abit and see.

Oh boy, you better hope the grammar/spelling Nazis here do not start surfacing... This sentence itself is a blatant massacre of English. :bsmilie:

Hello, did someone call me?