hi, newbie with nikon 135/2.0 DC

DD123.....Did you upgrade your site? I don't remember the music and some of the other stuff. Looks great! I went there because I kind of remembered that you had the Tokina 11-16, and sure enough, you do with some nice recent work with it. They have that lens at Pantip Plaza and it's tempting. One lens too long and one lens too wide; good to go. I probable just go safe and get the 50mm/1.4D as my next lens, and then just wait a while and window shop for other lenses, such as looking on Flickr. Still resisting the midrange zoom, but I do like the looks of the Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC.

Lightroom is working out very well so far. I know I was really intimidated by PS but Lightroom has gone well. so thanks for that idea.

The remote shutter controls seem to be much more expensive here in Thailand compared to USA, so I just ordered two from Amazon, which my sister will then ship to me; the Opteka RC-2 which is a Nikon ML-L3 like unit, and the Vivitar wireless remote shutter release. The Nikon MC-36 is 9000 baht at Fotofile( $386 Singapore dollars ), compared to $127 USD at Amazon ($172 Singapore); so more than twice the price in Thailand. I was looking for threads at club snap on the issue of remotes, will have to hunt some more, and they were confusing to me in terms of features, so I just orderred a couple, not sure why.

Again, site looks great, sounds great.

Cheers

The Tokina 116 is the workhorse in my kit. Since I shoot mostly landscapes, it stays on my camera 70% of the time. Tokina gives you the ability to shoot in lower light at F2.8 and is tack sharp, but the downside is that the lens has a very limited zoom range. Since you do not have a standard zoom, you might want to consider other UWA lenses that will give you more on the tight end. Tokina 12-24, Sigma 10-20, Nikon 10-24 are popular UWA lenses. You might want to check those out as well.

About remotes, the ML-L3 is priced very low. You can get similar IR remotes that cost even less made by 3rd party brands. You should be able to find them everywhere including Thailand. The cable remote, you can try to use some china made ones. They work just as well and should be quite cheap as well (under SGD$20).

BTW thanks for visiting my site.

I remember when I just started in photography, the 135/2.0 was my one dream lens that I could just not get my hands on because of it's rarity. So I settled for an 85mm f1.4... and never regret it.

And, boy, you really do produce awe inspiring photos with your 85/1.4!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you Danny. When I started looking at your shots I was like, 'Do you still want a 135/2? Take mine man, no prob, you may have it.'

Well I got a printer; a Canon 4760. I then immediately voided the warranty by getting large external ink tanks installed (so far 0-3 on getting that warranty thing). So then I took a few hundred photos, maybe over a thousand by now, and printed a lot of them, with a lot of A4 prints. They may not be the greatest portraits but the price is right, I give them away free and I have gotten nice responses to doing that. So then I started a flickr page, and selected a few which I feel have a bit of character or show off the lens well. Here is that link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53001359@N07/

It has been a lot of fun thus far. Maybe in about two weeks I will take a trip into Bangkok to pick up a 50/1.4G lens, which I have pretty much decided will make a good second lens for me. The cat's name is Ning-a-nong. Quite the good-natured cat.

Last edited: