hi, newbie with nikon 135/2.0 DC

Welcome to CS :) It seems that your start into photography will begin with a very wonderful lens and rare lens.

But I will stand by my statement that the Nikon 135/2.0D has been discontinued, although I should restate it as, "in my opinion, the Nikon 135/2.0D has been discontinued".

The Lens is still on the official Nikon site. There has never been an announcement from Nikon about it being discontinued. So it has not been discontinued. But, this lens, which, since it became a D version in 1995, has tended to be made by Nikon in separate batches, has not seen a new batch since June 2009. When a new one for sale appears on Amazon it listed at a price higher than list price, and tends to be sold within days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...?ie=UTF8&qid=1280151575&sr=1-29&condition=new

On Ebay recently, it tends to sell new only at prices higher than list price. I have visited all of the biggest online camera shops in US, and none of them have a new one for sale. etc, etc. My point? In my opinion anybody who intends to buy this lens in the future would do well buying it now. I did.

Thanks again.

Its really pointless to debate about the production status, more so when you have not even began to learn how to use it. Even for an experienced photographer, discontinued or not means next to nothing. What's critical for you is if the lens serves your purpose. You can have the rarest gem around but if you have no use for it, its paper weight unless you are a collector. So do you know why you bought it to begin with?

OK, Kit, I will respond to your question, "...do you know why you bought it to begin with?" Please understand that all complicated behavior is multiply determined. That means I bought it for number of reasons. Not just for one reason. I use the term complicated behavior to distinguish from, say, my behavior of moving my hand away were I to reach for a pot on a hot burner and have my finger touch the heating element. That would have as a reason: reflex. To the extent that I bought the lens as a reponse to my family relations, the behavior might be said to be "over determined". Further, understand that the question, "why did you do X?" frequently leads to the following response by the person asked that question. The person shifts into a thinking mode. The psychologist on a TV sit-com might ask the patient, "why did you do X?", but a real psychologist would seldom ask such a question. And if asked, the reason for asking it (one reason of many) might well be to deliberately shift the patient from a feeling mode to a thinking mode. For example, asking a crying patient, "why did you do X", might well help the patient to stop crying (feeling) and start thinking, "hey, why did I do X". In no way is this very likely to lead to the answer to that question. Because human behavior is multiply determined.

Shall I continue? No, lets try to get back to photography topics. Today I hve been comparison shopping for a monopod. I'm leaning toward a Monfrotto 679b with a Giottos MH 1302-655 ball head. This would seem to be relatively inexpensive, light, durable, and it has spirit guides. And it is right there on the shelf of my local camera store.

Didn't actually buy it today. Why? Don't know. I guess because I'm still short on cash from buying that doggone lens.

cheers

OK, Kit, I will respond to your question, "...do you know why you bought it to begin with?" Please understand that all complicated behavior is multiply determined. That means I bought it for number of reasons. Not just for one reason. I use the term complicated behavior to distinguish from, say, my behavior of moving my hand away were I to reach for a pot on a hot burner and have my finger touch the heating element. That would have as a reason: reflex. To the extent that I bought the lens as a reponse to my family relations, the behavior might be said to be "over determined". Further, understand that the question, "why did you do X?" frequently leads to the following response by the person asked that question. The person shifts into a thinking mode. The psychologist on a TV sit-com might ask the patient, "why did you do X?", but a real psychologist would seldom ask such a question. And if asked, the reason for asking it (one reason of many) might well be to deliberately shift the patient from a feeling mode to a thinking mode. For example, asking a crying patient, "why did you do X", might well help the patient to stop crying (feeling) and start thinking, "hey, why did I do X". In no way is this very likely to lead to the answer to that question. Because human behavior is multiply determined.

Shall I continue? No, lets try to get back to photography topics. Today I hve been comparison shopping for a monopod. I'm leaning toward a Monfrotto 679b with a Giottos MH 1302-655 ball head. This would seem to be relatively inexpensive, light, durable, and it has spirit guides. And it is right there on the shelf of my local camera store.

Didn't actually buy it today. Why? Don't know. I guess because I'm still short on cash from buying that doggone lens.

cheers

I lost you halfway through. But good answer that answers nothing actually. Now I know why shrinks make so much.

Anyway I will say it again. A lens not used is a lens abused. ;) Cheers. Have a good one.

Its really pointless to debate about the production status, more so when you have not even began to learn how to use it. Even for an experienced photographer, discontinued or not means next to nothing. What's critical for you is if the lens serves your purpose. You can have the rarest gem around but if you have no use for it, its paper weight unless you are a collector. So do you know why you bought it to begin with?

Well said Kit :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:Well said. I believe there are people around who do not have the answers as to why they are obsessed with getting new gear frequently.

cheers

well, gd ans, but I was lost about a quarter into the answer. nevertheless, enjoy your lens and use it often!

cheers

If you understood what I was saying, you'd know that it was a question you had to ask yourself instead of giving an incoherent response which said absolutely nothing.

Are you taking photos with your lense yet? If not, what's this photography thingy you are referring to?

:thumbsup:Well said. I believe there are people around who do not have the answers as to why they are obsessed with getting new gear frequently.

I'd be really surprised if its the other way round actually. Obsession's fine but knowing what you are obsessed with makes it better.

And that's the only piece of equipment I own. I am seeking a d700 now. The next two lenses I hope to get will be Nikon 16-35/4 VR, and 50/1.4D.

I have some experience in film photography but none yet in digital. I am an old guy, retired USA ex-pat living in Thailand..

I bought the 135/2.0 first because I feel that the availability of this discontinued lens for purchase is going to get harder, and the price higher.

I like portraits.

I somehow got to this ClubSNAP site from an internet search engine and I have been combing it since then. What a great site.

So...you got a camera yet?

Yes he did, a D90. But he is having problems with the Auto mode.

heh heh, oh yar, just noticed him in the d90 thread - don't normally go there cos i don't have a d90.

heh heh, oh yar, just noticed him in the d90 thread - don't normally go there cos i don't have a d90.

hehe. i jus noticed as well. although i 'stalk' the thread.

TS, i suggest that you read the manual. DD123 is right. the flash should not pop up if you are in P, S, A and M modes. If it does, it IS a problem.

Thank you smiles. My cam seems to have come with everything such as charger, etc, but no manual. I do have 2 books which might help me: David Busch's "Nikon D700", and "Nikon D700 Digital Field Guide". Um, thats because I live in Thailand but buy most books at Amazon in US. There is a shipping delay so maybe 6 weeks ago I orderred the D700 guides because at that time I thought I would get a D700. So soon I will order some D90 guides. In the meanwhile I can read online such as Ken Rockwell's site.

I went out briefly today and had the flash pop up shooting at shadows in AUTO mode but not in any other mode, so I think I semi-panicked un-nessesarily.

Thank you again Smiles, and of course DD123 for helping me on that. So now I am attempting to view my pics. Have installed the Nikon software, and that's my next task. Then at 5 pm I meet some friends and try some more carefully composed portraits.

As I said in my D90 thread, my set-up now, at about 202.5 mm, is loooooonnnnggggg. But hey, I am not a pro so I don't 'need' to get any shot. I can always get a more reasonable walk-about lens latter. For now I hope to have fun with what I have. Such a learning curve! I am waaaaayyyyy at the bottom of it. Hopefully it will be easier to learn, than say, climbing steps at a Wat.

Thaanks again.

Thank you smiles. My cam seems to have come with everything such as charger, etc, but no manual. I do have 2 books which might help me: David Busch's "Nikon D700", and "Nikon D700 Digital Field Guide". Um, thats because I live in Thailand but buy most books at Amazon in US. There is a shipping delay so maybe 6 weeks ago I orderred the D700 guides because at that time I thought I would get a D700. So soon I will order some D90 guides. In the meanwhile I can read online such as Ken Rockwell's site.

I went out briefly today and had the flash pop up shooting at shadows in AUTO mode but not in any other mode, so I think I semi-panicked un-nessesarily.

Thank you again Smiles, and of course DD123 for helping me on that. So now I am attempting to view my pics. Have installed the Nikon software, and that's my next task. Then at 5 pm I meet some friends and try some more carefully composed portraits.

As I said in my D90 thread, my set-up now, at about 202.5 mm, is loooooonnnnggggg. But hey, I am not a pro so I don't 'need' to get any shot. I can always get a more reasonable walk-about lens latter. For now I hope to have fun with what I have. Such a learning curve! I am waaaaayyyyy at the bottom of it. Hopefully it will be easier to learn, than say, climbing steps at a Wat.

Thaanks again.

Dude, it should come with a manual and a warranty card. You better get the camera's serial number checked out with Nikon Thailand. You might have gotten yourself a grey market set with no warranty without knowing.

D700 books will not do you too much good. D700 comes with a lot more functionality that the D90 does not have. And is a totally different camera in terms of performance. Advise you get the D90 guides soon. You can also download D90 manual from Nikon website. In the meantime you should be able to survive on KRW's guide to D90.

Nikon ViewNX2 is good at conversion as it will apply your in-cam picture style settings when coverting from RAW to JPEG. But it offers minimal tweaking. Nikon Capture NX2 is better, giving your a lot of leeway interms of edits. But in the end, I still feel Lightroom 3 is the most balanced tool interms of Post processing. I suggest you start with Lightroom instead. The learning curve is a lot shorter. But that is my personal opinion.

Are you shooting RAW? or JPEG? If you intend to do more PP, I suggest you use RAW (NEF in Nikon speak).

And do consider my advice on getting a wide/standard zoom. Will make your kit a lot more flexible in terms of shooting angles. 135mm is an excellent portrait lens. But just having that one lens with a D90 is akin to having a one-trick pony.

Last edited:
Jed - ha ha, good one to Ken Rockwell.

DD - I don't know if I shot in raw or jpeg, I would assume jpeg. I will take your advice and install Lightroom and set that as my default and start with that. I was able to download the 170 pics I took yesterdy and today. What a camera! What a lens! Amazing stuff.

cheers

Jed - ha ha, good one to Ken Rockwell.

DD - I don't know if I shot in raw or jpeg, I would assume jpeg. I will take your advice and install Lightroom and set that as my default and start with that. I was able to download the 170 pics I took yesterdy and today. What a camera! What a lens! Amazing stuff.

cheers

Wait till you try out UWAs, more amazing stuff coming.

DD123.....Did you upgrade your site? I don't remember the music and some of the other stuff. Looks great! I went there because I kind of remembered that you had the Tokina 11-16, and sure enough, you do with some nice recent work with it. They have that lens at Pantip Plaza and it's tempting. One lens too long and one lens too wide; good to go. I probable just go safe and get the 50mm/1.4D as my next lens, and then just wait a while and window shop for other lenses, such as looking on Flickr. Still resisting the midrange zoom, but I do like the looks of the Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC.

Lightroom is working out very well so far. I know I was really intimidated by PS but Lightroom has gone well. so thanks for that idea.

The remote shutter controls seem to be much more expensive here in Thailand compared to USA, so I just ordered two from Amazon, which my sister will then ship to me; the Opteka RC-2 which is a Nikon ML-L3 like unit, and the Vivitar wireless remote shutter release. The Nikon MC-36 is 9000 baht at Fotofile( $386 Singapore dollars ), compared to $127 USD at Amazon ($172 Singapore); so more than twice the price in Thailand. I was looking for threads at club snap on the issue of remotes, will have to hunt some more, and they were confusing to me in terms of features, so I just orderred a couple, not sure why.

Again, site looks great, sounds great.

Cheers

I remember when I just started in photography, the 135/2.0 was my one dream lens that I could just not get my hands on because of it's rarity. So I settled for an 85mm f1.4... and never regret it.