Hi all.. new here and new to DSLR..

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can it be the same? After eating chicken rice for this round, when you get hungry again, you get to choose Hokkien prawn mee. But when you buy a DSLR, you're on a journey to buy the whole system. Most people do not have money to burn, and buy cameras of different brands whenever we are 'hungry'.
Hahaha... you are quite right rains, my analogy was not quite there, was it?

First post and you fail to understand a simile with a pinch of irony ... anyway, Welcome to CS.
Soon you'll see that such generic questions as posted by the thread starter (short: TS) will not serve anything. It's to broad and leaves too much possible answers which in return will not help.
... No point asking "C or N, which is better?"
If there are still questions open TS can post them here - but after some reading and learning these questions might be much more specific and will get him specific answers.
:thumbsup: I think your explanation is much more succinct, yet leaves little to the imagination.

I would suggest D5000 haha, flip screen rocks =)

I just got into DSLRs recently .. crazy about it now. I took my decision on the 500d because I was always a Canon compact user (last one was the G9 which was a good cam). Loved the 50d but I wanted to leanr with a basic set first ... upgrade later when I am better. My main driver was that I wanted something with familiar controls. I guess adjusting to new controls would only be a matter of time but I didn't want to stumble with the controls especially because I look for photographs more often than wait for the photographs to find me.;)

Last edited:
I just got into DSLRs recently .. crazy about it now. I took my decision on the 500d because I was always a Canon compact user (last one was the G9 which was a good cam). Loved the 50d but I wanted to leanr with a basic set first ... upgrade later when I am better. My main driver was that I wanted something with familiar controls. I guess adjusting to new controls would only be a matter of time but I didn't want to stumble with the controls especially because I look for photographs more often than wait for the photographs to find me.;)

well-said:)

and the 500D is a great cam, so you saved yourself some cash by not getting the 50D

First post and you fail to understand a simile with a pinch of irony ... anyway, Welcome to CS.
Soon you'll see that such generic questions as posted by the thread starter (short: TS) will not serve anything. It's to broad and leaves too much possible answers which in return will not help.

Most important is the definition of "affordable". Some people have trouble to fork out $12,000 while others can easily spend $1,500 - you get the idea? ;) After the budget is set let's add some more to cover the necessary side-items like batteries, memory cards, cleaning kit, dry box / dry cabinet. Then TS can have a look at the Buy&Sell section here to get a first idea what cameras could fit the budget. After shortlisting a few and reading reviews about the brands and models he could go to some shops to get in touch with the cams. Each brand has its own Look & Feel. And: each of the brands has cameras capable of taking decent pictures. No point asking "C or N, which is better?"
If there are still questions open TS can post them here - but after some reading and learning these questions might be much more specific and will get him specific answers.

I just feel that the simile or analogy is over-simplified and inappropriate. I do know about the vast number of threads asking for recommendation of the first dslr. I also notice that interestingly, for the same kind of question 'Which dslr should I buy?', different kinds of suggestion pop up and it doesn't really help the newbie, like me. The only function they serve is to further confuse us and make us widen our options. I suppose that's the reason why newbies pose the same question over and over again, hoping to get a specific response to their specific needs.

I've read tons of reviews on the cameras I'm keen on, until someone in a review thread said this,"Stop reading the reviews! Go to a shop and try the cameras yourself." I think that's one of the most helpful suggestions I've ever read although it doesn't tell me anything about the cameras.

As for me, I was looking at Canon 50D, Nikon D90 and D300. Alas! When I went to the Canon dealer, he asked,"For who? For you ah? I think you better get Canon 500D. 50D too big and heavy for you." When I went to a Nikon dealer, he asked,"For who? For you ah? I think you better get Nikon D60. D90 and D300 too big and heavy for you."

... ...

I must admit I like the light-weight and simple menu of D60, and can foresee myself carrying it around, out and about. But its reviews are not so fantastic.

So I'm still thinking.

Last edited:
As for me, I was looking at Canon 50D, Nikon D90 and D300. Alas! When I went to the Canon dealer, he asked,"For who? For you ah? I think you better get Canon 500D. 50D too big and heavy for you." When I went to a Nikon dealer, he asked,"For who? For you ah? I think you better get Nikon D60. D90 and D300 too big and heavy for you."

If you have the budget, go for the 50D or D90. For D300, might not be wise to get it at the moment when D300s is already announced. D300 is a great camera, but the price will definately drop when D300s goes on sale. Features like top lcd, brighter and larger viewfinder, and faster setting change on the mid-range bodies really make them more user-friendly than the entry level bodies.

The weight will matter when you first hold it. After a few trip out with your new camera, you will probably get use to the extra weight.

I just feel that the simile or analogy is over-simplified and inappropriate. I do know about the vast number of threads asking for recommendation of the first dslr. I also notice that interestingly, for the same kind of question 'Which dslr should I buy?', different kinds of suggestion pop up and it doesn't really help the newbie, like me. The only function they serve is to further confuse us and make us widen our options. I suppose that's the reason why newbies pose the same question over and over again, hoping to get a specific response to their specific needs.
Which specific needs are you referring to? Most newbies come with "landscape, portraits, macro/sports" - which is not wrong but only shows that there is no specific need to cater for. If there is no specific need then at least the budget must be fixed. (People without specific photographic needs and unlimited budget are quite rare here :bsmilie: ) Starting from the budget then one can see which models fit the bill. This could be a useful starting line. Another line (which also applied to me) is to stick to the brand if they had a PnS before. The user interface of the Canon Powershot series (I guess up to A95) and Canon 300D-350D is similar, this helps to operate the cam.
I've read tons of reviews on the cameras I'm keen on, until someone in a review thread said this,"Stop reading the reviews! Go to a shop and try the cameras yourself." I think that's one of the most helpful suggestions I've ever read although it doesn't tell me anything about the cameras.
Same here in CS. As soon as the obvious question is to decide between a prequalified range of camera most people get the recommendation to go to the shops for Look&Feel test. Then the question of weight becomes obvious and you can make your own judgments. Never trust those Sales guys. They have their stereotypes in mind and also the markup table. Unless you go to John 3:16, these people have passion for photography and the patience to show and explain without obligation and long face if you don't buy.
I must admit I like the light-weight and simple menu of D60, and can foresee myself carrying it around, out and about. But its reviews are not so fantastic
Technical reviews are written at a certain point of time, comparing the models which were recent then to the expectations at this time. Of course, compared to recent models and features the picture looks different - but that depends on what / how you compare. You can have a look at the DxO Camera rankings for comparing sensor performance (Select "Nikon" and "APS-C"; do read the fine print about data interpretation!). D60 is not that bad finally, considering that a difference of 5 points in the overall marks is barely visible.
But for D60 I'd rather look at the limitations in terms of lenses. Certain lenses will not work (no metering, no Autofocus) which could be a limitation. Read more at kenrockwell.com and see whether it would affect you. On the same website you can also read a review of D60 - KRW is not really amused. But take his views with a good pinch of salt, it's just his personal opinion. Wouldn't be the first time that he stands alone with his view.

Last edited:

... ...

I must admit I like the light-weight and simple menu of D60, and can foresee myself carrying it around, out and about. But its reviews are not so fantastic.

So I'm still thinking.

Lightweight, simple menu......and u already go down to test????
seems like u are serious and keen to get started.
Personal advise, get the D90...not heavy and easy enough to use and good review.
Picture quality aside, u must be able to feel the challenge just by holding a dslr compare to pns camera.

Welcome to CS.. alvinleo...!!!

Enjoy your stay....
abt your questions... u also can do some search in the forums.
There are tons of information....

Do remember search function is also your friends...;)

Hi guys,

Just to update, I went ahead to get a D90. :)

Thanks for all the contribution.

I'm glad that I read up a little on D90 and took someone with me to buy it. The set that first came to me took quite a long time to focus. My sister tried both Canon 500D and Nikon D90 and commented that 500D was a lot faster in focusing. It occurred to me that someone in this forum mentioned something about a salesperson saying that '1 in 5 D90 has focusing problem' and I asked for a 2nd set to try. It turned out that the 2nd set was faster in focusing, altho it's still slower than Canon.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and comments.

congrats on your purchase. D90 is indeed a good camera.
I think D90 and 500D might use slightly different focusing algorithm, hence one might be slower than the other in some situation, but faster in others.
It really depends on how you aim your camera, which focusing mode you choose, etc etc.
I would have thought that a the difference in focusing speed would be negligible to anyone but a serious amateur or professional.
For example, my ultra-wide lens is claimed to be SLOOOOW in focusing, but I've had no issues with it for the kinds of photos I take.

btw, how come the TS (alvinleo) has gone all quiet since his first post....? Post question than vanish?

Is it really negligible? I'm going to use it for taking pics of kids. My sister commented that by the time you finish focusing, the 'kodak moment' would have been gone.

Perhaps Alvin has forgotten the thread he's started. Nevermind. It benefits me instead. Or maybe he's reading it quietly.

Too many sellers here sell 2nd hand stuff for higher than the price of a brand new unit. Do your homework carefully.

Is it really negligible? I'm going to use it for taking pics of kids. My sister commented that by the time you finish focusing, the 'kodak moment' would have been gone.

Perhaps Alvin has forgotten the thread he's started. Nevermind. It benefits me instead. Or maybe he's reading it quietly.

My D80's kit lens focuses fast enough for me not to notice the delay and complain. I'm no professional, obviously. But I have been able to get candid shots with the lens locking on before the 'kodak moment' has passed. If you use AF-C (continuous), you can even track a moving object with the shutter release half-pressed, then fire immediately at the precise moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.