Help With Dry Box!

Hi bro... Just to check with you... How do we recharge the silica gel? Mine is always pinkish in colour and my reading is about 70%....:embrass:

Please advise.

Thanks.

Pink means the silica gel is already wet.

blue/pink silica gel is cancer causing. So I do not recommend you use them. Get the orange or clear ones.

But to recharge, stick it in the microwave and heat it for a couple of minutes. But make sure you do not use the microwave for food after that. It is cancerous.

Or you can just get a dry cab. the small ones are not that expensive.

blue/pink silica gel is cancer causing. So I do not recommend you use them. Get the orange or clear ones.

But to recharge, stick it in the microwave and heat it for a couple of minutes. But make sure you do not use the microwave for food after that. It is cancerous.

Thanks bro for your advise.

Can't use dry cab due to space constraint... :(

Will replace them immediately with the Hippo thingy...

You would want to check the seal. Additionally, how often do you open your box?

Just to ensure that my imagination didn't get the better of me, I am going to record some reading. I changed out the gel and after about 20 mins, the reading settled at 38%. My box is about 8 liters without vacuum pump and 500g of gel are used. Let's see the result after a week and thereafter.

Just checked the reading and it says 28%. That is two days after I changed out the gel. I guess my box does not required 500g of gel. Note: I have not open up the box since.

Is there any reliable report saying that the blue/pink gel is cancer causing? I am using the blue ones. Scary. Time to switch to other color.

I think recharging in a microwave is not a good idea. The time and effort expended does not really result in $aving. I have tried that several years ago and the gel turned pink very quickly again after recharging. In my earnest to "completely dry" them out, I turned up the heat and keep the gel in for a longer period. I ended up with a bowl of liquid gel. In those days, no one say that the gel is cancerous and we still use that microwave for cooking thereafter. Luckily we are still alive today.

I'm using a dehumidifier(a imitation version of hippo) now outside my Dry Box with new gel, so far the RH level stays around 40~45% and i notice is staying constant. Will leave it alone till sat and see the result. Hopefully it will solve my problem of changing gel every week.

Is there any reliable report saying that the blue/pink gel is cancer causing? I am using the blue ones. Scary. Time to switch to other color.

Wikipedia: Cobalt (II) Chloride
Check right hand side table: Hazards; also have a look at the bottom: external links.

An update, seems like the method does not work, 4th day the RH level reaching 50% ._. did not open up dry box. Guess i'll just stick to replacing new gel once a week:(

I'm using a dehumidifier(a imitation version of hippo) now outside my Dry Box with new gel, so far the RH level stays around 40~45% and i notice is staying constant. Will leave it alone till sat and see the result. Hopefully it will solve my problem of changing gel every week.

An update, seems like the method does not work, 4th day the RH level reaching 50% ._. did not open up dry box. Guess i'll just stick to replacing new gel once a week:(

This means the moist air are leaking into the box. You won't be able to dry the whole atmosphere with your hippo. :bsmilie:

PS. My hippo is still working after several months of usage.

Just to ensure that my imagination didn't get the better of me, I am going to record some reading. I changed out the gel and after about 20 mins, the reading settled at 38%. My box is about 8 liters without vacuum pump and 500g of gel are used. Let's see the result after a week and thereafter.

Just checked the reading and it says 28%. That is two days after I changed out the gel. I guess my box does not required 500g of gel. Note: I have not open up the box since.

One week later, reading = 29% RH.