(help!) Tamron 18-270 VC (non PZD) zoom ring stuck

blizzardtweaker

Dec 5, 2008
Hey guys,

I was using my Tamron 18-270mm VC on my recent overseas trip when the zoom ring suddenly got stuck... I now have a zoom range of 18-32mm and the zoom ring functions normally within that range, I just cant push it beyond 32mm. By accident, my friend found a temporary 'fix' for me, he pointed the lens at a certain angle (towards the ceiling) and the zoom ring could move beyond 32mm and would then function normally with a 35-270mm zoom range. As soon as I move to zoom ring to less than 35mm, there would be a click sound, and the lens would go back to being stuck at 18-32mm.

This is the first time this has happened to one of my lenses, and it appears to be slightly different from the sticky post by fatigue being slack/loose, since my zoom ring was perfectly fine (i didn't notice it being loose or anything) until it suddenly got stuck. (Or was I just lousy and couldn't notice it?)

I searched online and having a lens stuck with a limited zoom range and found a few people saying that it was just a loose screw. The closest one was probably this one: stuck zoom ring on tamron 28-300mm : Nikon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Unfortunately, the lens is from Hong Kong and is more than a year old anyway, so there is no warranty in Singapore. So anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem before, did you attempt to fix it yourself? If not, where you sent it in for repairs and how much it set you back? Also, if anyone knows if it would it be cheaper if I send it back to Tamron Hong Kong for repairs? (my dad is going to HK in a couple of days time)

Any help would be much appreciated! (Also, I'm enlisting into NS on wednesday, so if possible, I'd prefer to send it to where ever for repairs before I go in, so I can collect and use by my first book out. heh) Thanks!

Cheers,
Rey

nb: not sure if this is the correct place to post this, please move if its not appropriate. thx

Hmm. I think there should be 1 yr international warranty or else local 3 yr warranty.... Maybe u can check...

Parts & parcels of getting o/s or gray set...

Since you know about fatigue, why not ask fatigue to take a look at it?

Thanks! I just passed it to fatigue for repairs. Fingers crossed! =)

This problem is also caused by a loose screw. A very simple fix ;)
I'm not really accepting any jobs at the moment since I still have a loooong list to cameras to fix.
But since it's a very simple fix, I make this as an exception.

I had the same issue with my lens and managed to fix it. I posted a video on youtube that will show what I did. It was pretty daunting but turned out pretty easy.
I can't post the link so just search for "How to Fix: Jammed zoom on Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Lens"