HD PENTAX-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR

This is why Pentax is known to be the best ergonomic in its design. This lens looks great, the built is solid. I know it's very hard to

resist.:lovegrin: I am tempting to get it if the price is within my budget.

This has been the the 24-28mm that I have wanted for a long time.
Even better, it does 20mm and 40mm.
20mm-28mm, great for many landscapes w/o pushing the elements too far back.
30-40mm good for environmental ppl shots (f2.8 would be even better here, but up to subject waist level shots, isolation is usually still pretty good.

Main thing is that its going to be small and WR.
My FA*24 is f2, but too big and heavy if more that one such big lens in the bag.

Is this still a rumor or already confirmed?

I hope it's barrel distortion is not pronounced. I found the barrel distortion of other Pentax DA wide angle zoom to be unaccpetably high. Thus, I didn't acquire any of the DA wide angle zoom.

Is this still a rumor or already confirmed?

It's still a rumor but most likely it's true. What worth knowing is that would this lens be built with WR & DC motor.

As we have not seen any WR in a limited lens yet. It certainly is a breakthrough for Pentax if it does.

It's still a rumor but most likely it's true. What worth knowing is that would this lens be built with WR & DC motor. As we have not seen any WR in a limited lens yet. It certainly is a breakthrough for Pentax if it does.

Really hope this will come true! Will definitely buy... Probably if ricoh sees all this enthusiasm about this lens hopefully they will launch soon enough

all i can say for now is .....hmmmmmm......

More news from PentaxForum
http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-da-20-40mm-limited-08-wide-zoom.html

Extracted from the webpage:
"Like the existing HD Limited Lenses, the rumored 20-40mm zoom will be available in both black and silver. Further specifications about this lens, including the AF system and presence of weather sealing, are not currently know. What we do know is that the lens will feature Pentax's latest "HD" coating, which promises lower reflectance than the traditional SMC coating, similar to Nikon's "Nano Crystal Coat". We also know that the lens will have a variable aperture range from F2.8 to 4: something unusual for a high-end lens, but to be expected if small size is a priority."

Wah Liao , silver lens is really really nice.
Toxic indeed.

price anounced, da20-40 is dc wr and costs almost as much as k-3 body.

or like 21+ 35 f2.4 + 40 price

Last edited:
price anounced, da20-40 is dc wr and costs almost as much as k-3 body.

or like 21+ 35 f2.4 + 40 price

A bit higher than I expected. Oh well, it's a Limited lens, thus the premium price I guess.

I'd stick to the FA31 instead of this if I were buying a lens in this range. Just walk forward or backward a few steps, it'd cover the whole 20-40mm range w/ probably much nicer IQ.

Last edited:
A bit higher than I expected. Oh well, it's a Limited lens, thus the premium price I guess.

I'd stick to the FA31 instead of this if I were buying a lens in this range. Just walk forward or backward a few steps, it'd cover the whole 20-40mm range w/ probably much nicer IQ.
Frank, although we could have better IQ with the FA31 but the advantage of the DC motor (in combination with the K-3 AF system, could be a super "kit") and WR feature could not be ignored! A super walk-around lens for APS-C which is unique now in the market I think! Well done for Ricoh + Pentax!

Yeah.. it's official. Information here.

Agree with Frank, the pricing is abit steep. I was expecting around $900SGD, I guess have to wait for awhile to see if any price drop.
But it's WR And DC motor, look promising for a super walkabout APS-C

Was comparing the size with DA 18-55mm WR,
DA 18-55mm WR: 68 x 67.5 mm , 230 g
DA 20-40mm : 71.0 x 68.5 mm , 283 g

Damn it is slightly heavier and bigger than the 18-55 WR???

Last edited:

Agree with Frank, the pricing is abit steep. I was expecting around $900SGD, I guess have to wait for awhile to see if any price drop.

Yeah.
It would have been a straight buy for me if it was less than $850.

But the size is a bit big more my taste.

Yeah. It would have been a straight buy for me if it was less than $850. But the size is a bit big more my taste.

Is this lens covers FF , that is why a zoom limited cost so much ? Can check on film Pentax .

Is this lens covers FF , that is why a zoom limited cost so much ? Can check on film Pentax .

If its ff compatible, n iq is that of a limited lens, it would be fantastic, id buy it if pentax does eventually come out w a ff cam:)

Frank, although we could have better IQ with the FA31 but the advantage of the DC motor (in combination with the K-3 AF system, could be a super "kit") and WR feature could not be ignored! A super walk-around lens for APS-C which is unique now in the market I think! Well done for Ricoh + Pentax!

Yes, it's a very unique and nice lens, very of for walkabout. I'm sure it'd be a great performer. But still, for a 20-40/2.8-4 lens, the asking price is a bit too high. Would have been a great buy if pieced abit lower.

I've done so many walkabout sessions w just one prime lens, especially the FA31 and Fuji 35/1.4, never felt I'd need a 20 or 40 when I had those two lenses mounted. And w/ a 1.4 lens, I feel I have more control w what to take, especially indoor.

Can someone please explain what use this lens has? I see the following problems:

- focal length crossover with so many lenses like 18-55mm WR, 16-50mm f2.8, 17-70mm, 16-45mm, tons of prime lenses

- This new lens is actually heavier than the 18-55mm, so less focal length zoom range does not mean lighter.

- Does a single stop reduction really mean that much? (I dont think so imho)

- It seems very not 3 not 4- not wide enough to be wide angle, not long enough to be portrait

- As mentioned above several times- it costs a lot! I'd rather get a Pentax K-5IIs and a 18-135mm for a just a little bit more...or maybe I'll take that trip to Europe I've been promising to myself lately ;P

So yeah- what's it for?:dunno:

18-55 WR advantage: (2) lightweight, weather-proof
16-50 advantage: (4) fast aperture, weather-proof, fast focus motor, great image quality
17-70 advantage: (1) fast focus motor
16-45 advantage: (0) none
primes: (3) lightweight, great image quality, fast aperture (thanks for remind me that)

20-40 advantage: (5) lightweight, fast aperture, weather-proof, fast focus motor, great image quality

so, 20-40 is the best of pentax features.

Last edited: