Great Wall of China Thread....

daredevil123,
yeah agree, it's suicide! anyway i believe that portion suppose to be close to public

ed9119,
may i know how far is 天梯 from 箭扣 & Beijing Knot? I suppose there are lodging & food at beijing knot?

what kind of energy food is suitable for such hike?

quite keen on staying for a nite @ watch tower, but worry if there will be wild animals (e.g wolves) appearing at nite. :sweat:

Thanks!
JiankouMap1.jpg

daredevil123,
yeah agree, it's suicide! anyway i believe that portion suppose to be close to public

ed9119,
may i know how far is ?? from ?? & Beijing Knot? I suppose there are lodging & food at beijing knot?

what kind of energy food is suitable for such hike?

quite keen on staying for a nite @ watch tower, but worry if there will be wild animals (e.g wolves) appearing at nite. :sweat:

Thanks!
JiankouMap1.jpg

Ha ha if only there is wildlife .... Some snakes yes but otherwise no animal life to speak of

The points u mentioned are not far apart about 1 to 1.5 km apart .... SOUNDS near but its all up and down clambering thru unrestored Wall so about 20 mins if u don't get distracted ... About 45min to 1hr if you dilly dally enjoy scenery and take photos

Its tough but only a couple of spots are like the pic shown... I have seen people do it with anything from women's sandals to tennis shoes, so stay encouraged

There will not be any signs advertising sleepovers on the Wall. U will just need to ask the old village folks hawking their wares. Aiyah its only overnight so no need to prep like a marathon on carbs or high energy diet .
The meals are all included ... With alcohol !

If u really want to book beforehand PM me... I have a couple of contacts ... about 400rmb a day to guide party of 1-3 pax and a little bit more if its a dawn to dusk ALL day outing

Otherwise go to the Chinese Great Wall forum .... Thousands of members there and many looking for kakis on all sorts of dates and routes with all sorts of skill levels . I cannot read Chinese so am not active there

Ha ha last year I packed along bak chang , some biscuits and water ... And spare money .... The villagers very enterprising.... One even set up a coffee station to sell hot kopi for 5rmb a cup ..... Very SHIOK when its so cold and nothing like the feeling of hot drink while enjoying the great view

Last edited:
thanks ed9119. will surely approach for your help when time comes (probably this coming summer ~ May 2011???)
meantime, need to recover from injury :(

wow hot kopi 5rmb (S$1??) ! expensive by their standards! but as long as they don't cheat like some unethical chinese. heard years ago theycould make soya sauce from hair, even eggs can be chemically fabricated... very creative albeit on the wrong side! *faintz*

....... its those 3-in-1 coffee mix with hot water...... LOL :bsmilie: but when u are freezing, the warm coffee in stomach really feels good

5rmb is not going to bankrupt me and they need to haul the stuff an hour or so up and down the Wall everyday......

....... its those 3-in-1 coffee mix with hot water...... LOL :bsmilie: but when u are freezing, the warm coffee in stomach really feels good

5rmb is not going to bankrupt me and they need to haul the stuff an hour or so up and down the Wall everyday......

good profit margin for them. last time when i was in beijing, i think 5 rmb can buy 2 bottle of yanjing beer (not too sure about the price now) :bsmilie:

6 years old thread i know ha ha but good to revive it as year end approaches and its best time of the year to be climbing and shooting on the Great Wall from November onwards through April without any crowds

6 years old thread i know ha ha but good to revive it as year end approaches and its best time of the year to be climbing and shooting on the Great Wall from November onwards through April without any crowds

Hear hear!