Got my RX 100

Yes, camera and lens are cheaper in USA and now Provantage is offering USD604.28. Buying in USA only works if you are visiting there or you have someone or a colleague coming to Singapore. I bought camera and lenses from USA and my colleague just bring it over for me. Initially I was thinking of getting one from USA as I have a colleague coming over in Sept for F1 but one thing about Sony cameras, I just checked with Sony USA that their warranty only valid in USA so I'm thinking hard as I found good prices on Aust online stores too. One thing good about buying in USA is that they usually give free domestic shipping and 30 days 100% satisfaction. So if your colleague is here for a week, test it for a week and if the unit really give problem then return it ya. Anyway, now I'm checking on Oz online stores as understand they operate from HKG...and checking whether my Oz colleagues are coming over soon:)

Amazon is only $820 SG (After conversion)
US always cheaper haha

My sis asked me just now when told her that i getting rx100. "why dont you get nex7?" ya ya, nex 7, doible the price n need adapter for A mount. On top of that, cant fit into my sling bag or pocket. If like that, as well get a77. Ha ha!

My LCD has a stuck blue pixel. Is that covered by the warranty?

Also, how do you tilt the flash upwards? I have to bend and hold it down with my finger while taking a photo. Not sure if that's the proper way to "tilt"

edmundt said:
My LCD has a stuck blue pixel. Is that covered by the warranty?

Also, how do you tilt the flash upwards? I have to bend and hold it down with my finger while taking a photo. Not sure if that's the proper way to "tilt"

You can bring back to the shop for exchange if you bought it within 7 days.

Yes you have to tilt it manually

Am in HK now, and just got it for HKD$4800! And it's not a parallel import or grey set. No freebies though (Fortress offered me a set for HKD$5200 with an 8gb card and a case, broadway wanted the list price of $5390....) Come with warranty, which I guess I'll have to trek down to the Sony Customer Service Centre to get the travelers warranty. Does anybody know if this still needs to be done? The shop I asked didn't have the Travellers Limited warranty cards, and told me I had to go to the Sony Cust centre.... After conversion and credit card overseas fees, guess the camera works out to around S$830. Hope it's cheaper than the Singapore price when it gets to Sg...

Anybody want 1 too? heh.. I'll be here till tomorrow!

Hi lohwj, I am looking at buying this when I go over to hong kong next week. Care to share the location of the shop that u got the rx100? Will be staying at Tsim Sha Tsui...

Last edited:
Hi lohwj, I am looking at buying this when I go over to hong kong next week. Care to share the location of the shop that u got the rx100? Will be staying at Tsim Sha Tsui...

Pls share the info and price and how to convert the warranty to SG or International Warranty? Thanks.

How does the case fair? Like with the camera inside, easy to operate or need to take camera out?

How does the case fair? Like with the camera inside, easy to operate or need to take camera out?

Case works great. Camera still easy to operate. Safer too as the case gives you a better grip compared to the smooth camera body.

Can't understand. The only relevant product worth comparing is the S100 but there are so little mention of it. Many compare it with mirrorless cameras with big form factor instead. Can anyone share on how it compares to the S100 in real world use? Thanks :)

Main reason is due to the sensor size of the rx100. AF speed etc also closer to mirrorless than pns. From the reviews I've seen there is no point comparing it to a normal pns, its in a different league. Perhaps can compare to compacts with apsc sensor like canon g1x. Moreover the price point of the Rx100 is noticeably higher than pns cameras.

Last edited:
Can't understand. The only relevant product worth comparing is the S100 but there are so little mention of it. Many compare it with mirrorless cameras with big form factor instead. Can anyone share on how it compares to the S100 in real world use? Thanks :)

Well, in terms of basic design, it resembles the S100. In terms of performance, it's closer to mirrorless. I think the "fairest" comparison would be against the G1X or the Fuji X10.

Well, in terms of basic design, it resembles the S100. In terms of performance, it's closer to mirrorless. I think the "fairest" comparison would be against the G1X or the Fuji X10.

The X10 has blazing AF. but high ISO isn't as good as the RX100.

the G1X's AF lags behind the two, but high ISO is something to beat... by actually a pretty small margin.

I tried my friend's X10 previously and the AF is totally in a different league from the RX100 too. The RX100's AF is really super fast.:)

kei1309 said:
The X10 has blazing AF. but high ISO isn't as good as the RX100.

the G1X's AF lags behind the two, but high ISO is something to beat... by actually a pretty small margin.

I tried my friend's X10 previously and the AF is totally in a different league from the RX100 too. The RX100's AF is really super fast.:)

Yes tried the X10, no doubt it does produce gd IQ in low light and super macro function. For AF the RX100 clearly the winner. :)

Is there a substantial difference with 95MB/s or 45MB/s over a 30MB/s memory card on RX100?

Is there a substantial difference with 95MB/s or 45MB/s over a 30MB/s memory card on RX100?

If u do continuous shooting, think it does matter on most cameras...

Received the batteries in good condition after 2 weeks and they work! They came fully charged and I haven't charged them yet as my charger hasn't arrived. Will update if anything negative happens to them.

Yes tried the X10, no doubt it does produce gd IQ in low light and super macro function. For AF the RX100 clearly the winner. :)

to me, tested under the same conditions, the X10 focuses faster. which was in an area pretty poorly lit. both using Spot AF

I have the S95. It's a little thicker than the S95, but has about a 2-3 stop advantage at high ISO and much much greater dynamic range, especially on it's default DRO mode. If you can go close enough, the F1.8 gives you the background blurring of an APS-C F2.8 lens, which isn't bad and a revolution on a P&S. Big advantage is that family members can now shoot much nicer pictures than before especially with Sony's intelligent modes. The menu system is like a DSLR rather than a P&S and it has sufficient buttons to keep the enthusiast happy. However, the S95 was fine too. The lens seems to be sharper than the S95, but I haven't done detailed comparisons.