Going to HK.. some tips needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Astin said:
I came back already, this weekend got shoots lah...
Now the ticket so cheap, can go anytime again. Currently there are (I guess) approximately 2000 model shoot organizers in Hong Kong so very easy to join one.
Astin,
Do you know where to find the good organisers?

wind30 said:
I am also thinking of going hk next month to do some shopping.

Any recommedations on hotels? I want one that is close by to electronics shopping like Lens/camera/laptop so I can shop late and feel safe and return to hotel.

Prefably not too expensive.
Fyi, a not-too-expensive hotel in Hong Kong will cost about SG$150-200.

woah please dun hijack my thread leh... it's more about going to HK for a simple holiday... and maybe a little travel photography... pls dun flame me too...:)

Muahah thread hijacking is so common these few days. :bsmilie:

OK, let`s keep to the subject.

londonray said:
woah please dun hijack my thread leh... it's more about going to HK for a simple holiday... and maybe a little travel photography... pls dun flame me too...:)
didn't flame you, thought you may be interested in doing a model shoot ... sorry anyway, will pm Astin

Deadpoet said:
didn't flame you, thought you may be interested in doing a model shoot ... sorry anyway, will pm Astin

My gf is goinf with me... dun think that model shoots will be very welcome... haha... anyway too much to do for 4days anyway...

Ok, back to the topic.
If u like to shoot high rise etc, then u can go to the Tsim Sha Tsui ferry terminal, this time the weather may be cloudy so u may not get those dramatic blue sky.
if u like colonial feel, go to Wanchai, take the green colour tram, the locals call them "ting ting" because the sound.
If u like to shoot beaches, then go to south of Hong Kong island, but the scenery is the same as any other beaches in other countries, so I do not recommend.
U can try to take a ferry to other islands eg Lantau Island, Cheng Chau Island, these are local fishing village and diff than the city scape.

Shopping wise, not much, everything is same or similar to Singapore, camera equipment may be slightly cheaper. If yr gf want to buy clothing, u should tell her now the seaon is almost end of summer and beginning of autumn, so many boutique are selling autumn fashion.

Astin said:
September is only the autumn sesson, not winter, it is usually warm and windy, if u are a fat one u can sweat easily. :bsmilie:
Haha ic...so when is their winter season? I have been wondering when is the best time to go over too myself. Is December too cold?

Astin said:
Ok, back to the topic.
If u like to shoot high rise etc, then u can go to the Tsim Sha Tsui ferry terminal, this time the weather may be cloudy so u may not get those dramatic blue sky.
if u like colonial feel, go to Wanchai, take the green colour tram, the locals call them "ting ting" because the sound.
If u like to shoot beaches, then go to south of Hong Kong island, but the scenery is the same as any other beaches in other countries, so I do not recommend.
U can try to take a ferry to other islands eg Lantau Island, Cheng Chau Island, these are local fishing village and diff than the city scape.

Shopping wise, not much, everything is same or similar to Singapore, camera equipment may be slightly cheaper. If yr gf want to buy clothing, u should tell her now the seaon is almost end of summer and beginning of autumn, so many boutique are selling autumn fashion.

Maybe the summer stuff will be having lehlong? :bsmilie: Anyway... wow... still got themes one ah? haha... THat's good man... Would probably go to the giant Buddha.. and Lantau island... City Centre... will prob be doing night shots there as well... and then off course the harbour and stuff... thansk guys... I think that there's a wealth of info provided already... haha...

londonray said:
Maybe the summer stuff will be having lehlong? :bsmilie: Anyway... wow... still got themes one ah? haha... THat's good man... Would probably go to the giant Buddha.. and Lantau island... City Centre... will prob be doing night shots there as well... and then off course the harbour and stuff... thansk guys... I think that there's a wealth of info provided already... haha...
If u want to shoot near the harbour, watch out for sometimes the strong winds, make sure yr tripod is heavy enough to withstand the sudden gust of strong winds. Take note now is also the typhoon season.

erm wonder if my reply is gonna be lame. i was sooooooo deprived of chilli sauce when i was in HK ;p so if you're the kind who cant live without chilli.. err.. the one & only 'chilli' i had there was when i ate jap food.. chilli powder ..bottled :sweat: do bring along a bottle or start collecting some packet chilli sauce :X

remember to bring along a sweater.. could get pretty chilly at night :)

dont miss going to The Peak.. lovely scenery. :lovegrin:

huaiwei said:
Haha theoratically, but that is something like Singapore's GSS in July loh...
From the HK tourism website
2005 Hong Kong Shopping Festival
Enjoy fantastic summer sales and savour great food! Enter our Lucky Draw and take home great prizes! From 25 June to 31 August.

I will be going this weekend for holiday. Any good recommendation of reputable and reasonable priced camera shop?

Thanks Astin for the suggetions as to where to shoot. Are the people there ok when you take their photo on the street? Afraid might get bash up there (watch too much HK triad movies). :sweat:

hi guys any specific recommendations for hotel?

I have the following listed from the Tradewinds website? Any suggestons? The number is the price per night in SGD.

Hotel Concourse
Book Now! 3-Star Run-Of-House 76 N/A
Novotel Century Harbourview
Book Now! 4-Star Standard Room 83 N/A
South Pacific
Book Now! 3-Star Run-Of-House 86 N/A
Ramada Hotel Kowloon
Book Now! 3-Star Run-Of-House 86 N/A
Regal Oriental Hotel
Book Now! 4-Star Standard Room 88 N/A
The Kimberley
Book Now! 3-Star Run-Of-House 106 N/A
Novotel Century Hong Kong
Book Now! 4-Star Run-Of-House 107 N/A
Harbour Plaza Metropolis
Book Now! 4-Star Superior Room 107 N/A
Rosedale on the Park
Book Now! 4-Star Superior Room 114 N/A
Regal Kowloon
Book Now! 4-Star Superior Room 119 N/A

seewhy said:
From the HK tourism website
2005 Hong Kong Shopping Festival
Enjoy fantastic summer sales and savour great food! Enter our Lucky Draw and take home great prizes! From 25 June to 31 August.

I will be going this weekend for holiday. Any good recommendation of reputable and reasonable priced camera shop?

Thanks Astin for the suggetions as to where to shoot. Are the people there ok when you take their photo on the street? Afraid might get bash up there (watch too much HK triad movies). :sweat:
Oh paiseh..i have always tot its in the July to September period...

Status
Not open for further replies.