Getting caught for photography, by Police

Status
Not open for further replies.
i remember an incident when i was young.
Playing soccer in the field alongside with a few friends.
Then a policeman called us over,he actually say "pls,can you help me fill up this cause i need a few names to hand over"
he assure us nothing will happen so we just wrote for him.

thought that generally, public places are okay?

Are taking pics in Malls allowed? I suppose family pics are generally okay, security won't stop but if they see u snapping shops and layouts...

zcwnfx said:
are they allowed to make us delete the photos? i mean, if i go in take, they not happy ok lah. but i am outside the building.
:nono: i will not allowed them to delete my photos, if i'm shotting just outside the building.:nono: .....not without a v.good reason.

micah4 said:
thought that generally, public places are okay?

Are taking pics in Malls allowed? I suppose family pics are generally okay, security won't stop but if they see u snapping shops and layouts...
:dunno: Haha! wonder do they allowe me to draw pictures on the shops or not.:sweatsm:

ornegu said:
:dunno: Haha! wonder do they allowe me to draw pictures on the shops or not.:sweatsm:
of course not....
drawin on the shops(glass panels?)without permission is considered vandalism already.
Jail term, or a fine.

i think what we probably need to do is ask the Minister for the Arts (I think it's Dr. Vivian Balakrishnan) what we photographers can & cannot do. It's becoming very frustrating to be stopped by the police & wannabe police.

This is where a point & shoot comes in handy. Get some friends standing in the picture and they'll leave you alone.

AixisOfJustice said:
i think what we probably need to do is ask the Minister for the Arts (I think it's Dr. Vivian Balakrishnan) what we photographers can & cannot do. It's becoming very frustrating to be stopped by the police & wannabe police.
I would say, just live with it.The police are just doin their job, not trying to be some hero nor are they doin this to gain credit.
Besides, being stopped by the police is beyond the reach of Dr Balakrishnan.
Maybe you can try approaching Mr Wong kan Seng instead?

share my experiences:

it happened this (chap go mei 15th) chinese new year, i was setting out my camera at the roadside of ECP. Well, beside me there was a car broken down. Traffic Police passed and stopped in front of me, and said he will fine me, if I dont leave the spot. He warned me not to take photo at ECP. I replied, but I stay at the green. He claimed that it is dangerous, and he will fine me if i stay in the green.

It was about 3 min, the fire work was to start. I am so frustration,.....i end up leaving the spot, and how to find a good location of the firework.....i hate that policeman. But after that I think he was doing his duty. ......

What happen is, when the fire work start, all cars just stop along the ECP, and watching the firework.........:dunno:

Many years ago, I was on my mtb outside Tampines Stadium. I wanted to shoot a league game or something. This patrol car drove staright to me and told me to get off my bike. One of them asked me about the price of my bike and asked me whether I have the receipt to proof its mine. I asked him whether he has a receipt for his watch to proof its his and they laughed. Asked me about my photo bag and wanted me to show the stuff inside. One of them basically wanted to pull out my cam backpack until I told him that the stuff inside is more than my monthly salary(was carrying old F5 and a few primes).
Fella dare to ask me what my job was and when I told him that I was a teacher, they laughed and and asked me why I was not working. I asked them to show me a Primary School that was in operation on a Sunday. I also told them to say hi to a certain Sgt Chee from their particular NPP who happened to be always in contact with me ( me was in charge of school security matters). That got their attention. All this time they were holding on to my NRIC.
They said that they were just doing a job. I asked them whether judging people by their looks was part of the job. Just because a heartlander is riding a high end MTB and carrying good cam stuff, he is a suspect. There's so many criminals out there and they have to harrass an innocent photo taker. I lost interest and went home. Few weeks later, one of the fellas came to my school with Sgt Chee trying to give a talk to my school kids about how to work together with the police! He got a shock when I asked him whether he had stopped anyone riding a mtb lately. He gave a bad talk!
Maybe I was not even taking photos yet then. But recently, I was asked for my IC when I was taking shots of an event. Fella said that it was just a security issue. At least he was apologetic about the whole thing.

Unfortunately, a lot of people think that a photographer only takes photo's of people and landscapes.

Many do not imagine photography as any form of art and don't don't see past the people/landscape thought.

I am not saying that ignorance is an excuse for them to bother you.

I am not saying it is good for the police to hassle you either. But .....

I do think it is good that the security is being monitored well by the police.

Hey, you guys don't have idiots spraying graffiti all over building walls.

You have a "brass ?" cat and kittens near a bridge. (something I noticed when there).

That cat and kittens "statue ?" wouldn't last 5 minutes un protected in our streets.

Don't know if this helps the discussion in any way, but I liked the way things are looked after there. This is by both yourselves and the police.

Cheers :)

Cannot even take picture in shopping centres ah. Esp the buildings. I was at the ground floor of West Mall a few months ago, I was just sotta pointing the camera on the ceiling, because I thought that it kena fingerprint, just wanna check how it looks like from the viewfinder, then the security guard came, said something like this. " Girls, do you know that you cannot take pictures in the shopping centre? Did you take any pictures already?" " Next time don't take pictures here okay?" And some other crappings.

I guess it just isn't safe to take pictures in shopping centres.

wanhjb said:
Cannot even take picture in shopping centres ah. Esp the buildings. I was at the ground floor of West Mall a few months ago, I was just sotta pointing the camera on the ceiling, because I thought that it kena fingerprint, just wanna check how it looks like from the viewfinder, then the security guard came, said something like this. " Girls, do you know that you cannot take pictures in the shopping centre? Did you take any pictures already?" " Next time don't take pictures here okay?" And some other crappings.

I guess it just isn't safe to take pictures in shopping centres.

its not that it isn't safe. but the security or the management has the right to ask u to have the photos deleted cause we are on their property. however if u are on public property, its okay to shoot even if some "security guard" come up to u. was asked for ic number by police when i was shooting at istana park. cause i pointed my cam at the istana itself. they say its all right but they need to have my particular and in the case that a terrorist attack or etc happen there within the next 7 days, i will be asked to assist in investigation. that's all=)

No such luck of being stopped by police when taking pics yet..
Guess i dont look suspicious :)

maybe someone here can provide information on the legal issue of taking photos of architecture in singapore? I understand that shooting inside buildings are generally not allowed. but how bout the exterior? where i am in the open shooting the building. Crap, i was even questioned by some Security ppl for shooting the merlion O_O

Who says shooting inside buildings is not allowed??? I mean, my school is a building, and we take pictures in there!!! If the buildings you mean is the shopping centres and such, let me tell you something, my friends like taking pictures inside the toilets, someting I find utterly disgusting, the point the camera on the mirrors and shoot themselves. And no one has said anything. :bsmilie:

hayami.wai said:
maybe someone here can provide information on the legal issue of taking photos of architecture in singapore? I understand that shooting inside buildings are generally not allowed. but how bout the exterior? where i am in the open shooting the building. Crap, i was even questioned by some Security ppl for shooting the merlion O_O
then how bout the rest of the thousands of people shooting the merlion everyday??

Status
Not open for further replies.