Getting 1st dslr soon. Dilemma!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is wrong but thats reality. My previous boss once said to me "It doesn't matter what you use, but bigger is better" I didn't believe it at first. But when you walk into a group of photographers consisting of pns, prosumer, dslr, all shooting the same group of people, as long as your camera is the biggest or as long as you stand out the most. Thats where the eyes turn to. If you don't believe, give it a try. Its the sad truth. Take the cars for example. You walk into a parking lot, on the left is a picanto. On the right you see the Porche. Which would you look at. This is what i was trying to say when i mean image. But of cuz it doesn't really apply if you don't shoot anything related to people. Think about it from the people who is getting their photograph shot from rather then the photographers point of view.

I beg to differ on what you've pointed out since we're not doing shoots commercially here.

MAYBE, what you say holds true if you're doing paid shoots but that's another point altogether.

I still stand by my point - If you can shoot means you can shoot. If you can't not, even a D3 can save you. :bsmilie:

Peace.
mainpic_peace.jpg

I beg to differ on what you've pointed out since we're not doing shoots commercially here.

MAYBE, what you say holds true if you're doing paid shoots but that's another point altogether.

I still stand by my point - If you can shoot means you can shoot. If you can't not, even a D3 can save you. :bsmilie:
I do agree that if you can't shoot, then you can't shoot. And if you can't shoot, just use a HP ;)
So we come to an agreement that if your making money or shooting something important, look good? But if your just shooting for the fun of it then look anyway you want?

Last edited:

I still stand by my point - If you can shoot means you can shoot. If you can't not, even a D3 can save you. :bsmilie:QUOTE]

I do agree that if you can't shoot, then you can't shoot. And if you can't shoot, just use a HP ;)
So we come to an agreement that if your making money or shooting something important, look good? But if your just shooting for the fun of it then look anyway you want?

Obviously if you're shooting for clients, you dress up accordingly to the occasion don't you? That's basic courtesy, respect and business ethic. You don't wear a shirt/pants while doing a walkabout shoot, do you? Well, technically speaking... you can. No one can stop you.

But why are we digressing on dressing anyway?

Equipment-wise, you don't get something because it looks good. (or BIG, in your context)
You make a purchase based on whether you require it and most importantly, within the financial affordability.

That's the whole point I've been and am driving at.

When i said look good, i was refering to the camera. Not the clothes... Nvm.
And about being within the "financial affordability", thats the reason why i suggested a D200 earlier.
You will have your views and i will have mine.

Last edited:
When i said look good, i was refering to the camera. Not the clothes... Nvm.
And about being within the "financial affordability", thats the reason why i suggested a D200 earlier.
You will have your views and i will have mine.

Cool! :thumbsup:

For the e-quote question, I'd suggest you give them a call directly. Not very normal to wait for a week.

it's good that you already have an idea of what you want.
One final question - have you tried out the cameras hands-on?

I would suggest that you do so, because a comfortable camera grip is very important. This 'toy' will be in your hands for an extended period of time. Comfort is quite essential. For myself, I went to the shops to have a feel of the models I was interested in.

Generally, nikon bodies are slightly bigger in size and heavier than Canon. IMO, I feel that Canon bodies are more suitable for ladies, but don't slam me for that just yet! I know of some ladies who are using nikon and lovin' it!

A kit lens is probably all you need for now, if you're on budget constraint. I worked with my kit lens (18 - 105mm) for a couple of months before I got myself another lens. The 18 - 105 is great for general photography - all shot in my album are taken with this lens.

A 'fast' lens is generally good for places with low light (w/o the use of flash) and close up shots. You can use it for candids too as a CS-er (Zac) has advised me earlier. The 50mm f/1.8 is a 'must-have' since it the cheapest 'fast' lens amongst the Nikkor lens series. As they always say "Cheap & Good!". The last price update abt 1 week ago is as follows:

J316 - $180
MS - $195 (no stock at the moment, need to call and check)

If you can budget in, you should probably be getting the following:
(assuming you're getting the D90 package)

- D90 w/kit lens (18 - 105mm)
- 50mm 1.8
- Cleaning kit (may be able to get free with bundle)
- (bag usually comes free with it)

Optional:
- Dry cabinet

Really optional (at the moment):
- external flash
- tripod

I am not sure if the tripod or the external flash is "Really optional"...tripod, even a cheap one is a must buy for any decent phototaking(low light, long exposure, night, panorama span etc etc)...and even flash is a must because if u r shooting indoors most of the time, then the bounce from the ceiling will make your pics look much much better than just the oncamera flash. Go for SB400 and later switch to other models if u feel u need mroe coverage or options. also as u like to shoot ur friends at 2m range, i dont think 50mm will suffice...atleats go for 35mm AFS..and in Singapore "dry cabinet" is never optional, :) , without it yoru whole kit will become "optional" in 3 months...if u want to balance ur budget go for "dry box" instead and buy a dry cabinet second hand or new after say 6 months...just my opinion from the research i have done so far...planning to buy soon myself.

Could also consider nissin or tumax flesh as well. They are much much cheaper...

I am not sure if the tripod or the external flash is "Really optional"...tripod, even a cheap one is a must buy for any decent phototaking(low light, long exposure, night, panorama span etc etc)...and even flash is a must because if u r shooting indoors most of the time, then the bounce from the ceiling will make your pics look much much better than just the oncamera flash. Go for SB400 and later switch to other models if u feel u need mroe coverage or options. also as u like to shoot ur friends at 2m range, i dont think 50mm will suffice...atleats go for 35mm AFS..and in Singapore "dry cabinet" is never optional, :) , without it yoru whole kit will become "optional" in 3 months...if u want to balance ur budget go for "dry box" instead and buy a dry cabinet second hand or new after say 6 months...just my opinion from the research i have done so far...planning to buy soon myself.

Let's rephrase, how often does TS do night shooting?
If quoting from personal experience, I've survived w/o a tripod so far. :bsmilie: (but i do admit sometimes a tripod would REALLY come in handy) The extra cash I saved, goes into other things that I need more - e.g. lens.

And..... seriously, I would advise against getting a CHEAP tripod. You mount your BABY on a cheap tripod... in the event both peng san, there goes your BABY. :bigeyes:

Flash wise, ya.. it's a known fact that external flash is better than the built-in. And again, the same question: How often do you shoot with ext flash mounted? Not trying to imply that external flash is a totally optional thing but just probably not in the initial stage? Just personal opinion. End of day, it's up to whether TS feels strongly enuff to expand the budget. =)

And, I'm taking into consideration that TS's just starting out. Lugging loads of equipment ard is definitely not a walkabout setup. :sweat:

Go for SB400 and later switch to other models if u feel u need mroe coverage or options.

Oh, and if TS is really considering the SB400 do let me know.
I've been planning to get 1 in the recent weeks... haha.

Discussion of the SB400? Read here

See whether buy with package can get discount anot~ :bsmilie:

Thanks everyone!!

so to start out i should have the bag, some filters and a cleaning kit.
any cleaning kit recommendation?
lenspen looks cool!! :D

from the all the great advice given, the flash and tripod seems to be something i'll get if i need. thanks!! :)

what bag would be great?
assuming i'll be carrying the d90 + kit lens 18-105mm
one or two prime lens. 50mm or 35mm size.
and has space for the memory cards and filters?
lowepro seems a great recommendation but what model exactly?

Thanks everyone!!

from the all the great advice given, the flash and tripod seems to be something i'll get if i need. thanks!! :)

what bag would be great?

They should be giving you a free bag. Not sure if it's the Rezo 190 AW though.
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Rezo-190-AW,2010,20.htm

But IMO, it's kinda 'too big'.. u gotta see for urself.

Otherwise, you can look at the Nova 180 AW. My friend is using this. It's quite compact and can hold 1 DSLR (w/ lens) + 2-4 additional lenses.
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Nova-180 AW,2105.htm

Another tip: You can keep the free bag and sell in the B/S market place for about $40 - $50.

Let's rephrase, how often does TS do night shooting?
If quoting from personal experience, I've survived w/o a tripod so far. :bsmilie: (but i do admit sometimes a tripod would REALLY come in handy) The extra cash I saved, goes into other things that I need more - e.g. lens.

And..... seriously, I would advise against getting a CHEAP tripod. You mount your BABY on a cheap tripod... in the event both peng san, there goes your BABY. :bigeyes:

Flash wise, ya.. it's a known fact that external flash is better than the built-in. And again, the same question: How often do you shoot with ext flash mounted? Not trying to imply that external flash is a totally optional thing but just probably not in the initial stage? Just personal opinion. End of day, it's up to whether TS feels strongly enuff to expand the budget. =)

And, I'm taking into consideration that TS's just starting out. Lugging loads of equipment ard is definitely not a walkabout setup. :sweat:

:bsmilie: read the same post in another thread also...but although i dont fully agree, i second pooQy

My advice to TS, dont worry about primes now, not as not buy them, but do not lug around. Focus on 1 lens at a time, understand its behaviour and realize your limitations. Figure out how you could have improved the camera settings itself before changing lens. Once you are thru with your 18-105, fix it at 50mmfocal and then shoot to really understand if you need 50mm or 35mm. Even after that carry only one lens at a time, either prime or kit.

As per the flash and tripod, to each man his own :) i plan to pay using EMI with my CC so the more comprehensive stock i have the better.

I plan to buy the following, to start with.
  • D90 (18-55 VR)
  • Nikor AF 50mm f/1.8D
  • SB-400
  • 52mm CPL
  • Dry Box
  • 2x4GB Sandisk Extreme II SDC
  • + UV Filter + tripod as freebie

Hi, if you are intending to get Nikon, Get a D80 its a good camera though older but there are some incentives when you buy this camera, you can buy more lenses ultimately lenses are better than a good or new body. My school uses D80 and its good. My advice is don't buy kit lenses like the AF-S 18-135 or the AF-S 18-105 as the range is not that great, get lenses that have a better range like the Tamron AF 18-270 VC or (VR) or the Nikon AF 18-200 VR.
Why not go for Canon like the EOS 500D that has a better resolution of 15.1 Megapixel and Full HD recording and the best part is that its cheaper and better than Nikon D80 and D90.
Cheaper bodies mean you can buy more lenses and Flash guns.

They should be giving you a free bag. Not sure if it's the Rezo 190 AW though.
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Rezo-190-AW,2010,20.htm

But IMO, it's kinda 'too big'.. u gotta see for urself.

Otherwise, you can look at the Nova 180 AW. My friend is using this. It's quite compact and can hold 1 DSLR (w/ lens) + 2-4 additional lenses.
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Nova-180 AW,2105.htm

Another tip: You can keep the free bag and sell in the B/S market place for about $40 - $50.

i was very interseted in the toploading models, besides the free bag that we get with the camera.

Cirrus TLZ 25 (http://products.lowepro.com/product/...-25,1914,8.htm).

Anyone has any advice on such bags?

Hi, if you are intending to get Nikon, Get a D80 its a good camera though older but there are some incentives when you buy this camera, you can buy more lenses ultimately lenses are better than a good or new body. My school uses D80 and its good. My advice is don't buy kit lenses like the AF-S 18-135 or the AF-S 18-105 as the range is not that great, get lenses that have a better range like the Tamron AF 18-270 VC or (VR) or the Nikon AF 18-200 VR.
Why not go for Canon like the EOS 500D that has a better resolution of 15.1 Megapixel and Full HD recording and the best part is that its cheaper and better than Nikon D80 and D90.

And why would TS necessarily require a large focal length range?

My advice is don't buy kit lenses like the AF-S 18-135 or the AF-S 18-105 as the range is not that great

TS should buy the 28-300mm then, going by your concept. TS don't buy 18-270mm, not enough range!

Why not go for Canon like the EOS 500D that has a better resolution of 15.1 Megapixel and Full HD recording and the best part is that its cheaper and better than Nikon D80 and D90

500D doesn't > D90 automatically. Personally, I prefer the IQ and body feel of the D90. It's quite obvious that you are suggesting many different types of cameras, and justifying them based on your flawed perspectives.

:nono: not CANON - NIKON discussion again...let the TS do his own research in this regard. I can give tens of reason of why Nikon and Not Canon. My bottomline, Canon is made by engineers Nikon is made by photographers ;) u can take it whichever way you want.

Moreover there is nothing wrong in the kit lens :bigeyes: , some great photos have come out of 18-55 on D60 also...

a newbie *MUST* buy the kit lens and mandatorily use, then decide whether he needs more range or more wide, i would personally buy 16-85 next as that's what my shooting pattern is.

Both brands are good and so are the other brands. Firstly would be the budget and the feel of the camera like the grip and weight.

Would suggest play around with the Kit lens set.

Been using the 18-105 for 2 weeks, realise that it allows me to explore different things. Will slowly save up and move to primes on a later note. :D :D :D

Thanks everyone!!

what bag would be great?

crumpler 6 million dollar bag or 7 million dollar bag. disguise itself as a normal bag. instead of a big logo shouting "stealMe" when travelling to other countries (even in Singapore). :)

i'm a nikon user. so i can't comment on other brands.

personally, i think best go for the d90. i use the d300 as i prefer the feel and grip of it.

lens, for now, use the kit lens 18-55 VR II. very cheap, very sharp, quite versatile and good for landscape. just that i find the autofocus very slow and build quality isn't as good.

for portraits, 50mm f1.8 is good. but i personally prefer the 85mm f1.8.

Flash, i think don't need an SB at the moment, bouncing off ceilings will create raccoon eye effect. eye bags got more pronounced. still better than direct. Better off to shoot in available light and up the ISO with fast lens. Good only if you're considering off camera flash. That's another story altogether.

Tripod, depends on how much you're gonna use and the type of photos you're taking. My tripod is collecting dust now.

Bag, crumpler 6 or 7 million for security reasons. looks like normal bag, not a bag begging to be stolen.

battery grip, good if you're shooting a lot in portrait mode. + don't need to charge so often. :)

Dry cabinet, must have.

My 2 cents

Last edited:
Actually i'm not too confident about this but the bigger the lens range for example 18 - 200, your iq would really suck compared to something like 18 - 70 which is just a fraction of the price. You get better image quality from getting a 18 - 70 and a 70 - 200 and you actually pay less compared to getting a 18 - 200. Isn't that why we go for primes? For image quality over having very convenient range? And whats the point of having 15mp resolution when you don't even print half the size? To be honest, 6mp is more then enough for normal use. Its good enough to print A3. So unless your printing huge posters then take the mega pixel into consideration. I seriously feel that mega pixel is over rated. The higher your mega pixel count, the higher your pixel density. And if i'm not wrong, thats not a good thing. Plus i would consider a 500D as entry range. The feel and built of the body would be more of a d40 or d60. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.