funeral Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was once at the place collecting the ash after cremation.
A family approached me to take a family photo with the ash.

OUt of habit, I say 1, 2, 3, cheeeeeese.
And they all did.

:bigeyes:

luckily for you they didn't mind....

Yah I dont understand this either. Why do people want to capture the funerals and get a set of photos which you most likely would not want to look at it again?:dunno:
I even saw videographer at funeral before.

Well, not all funerals are sad. I mean, there are times where the deceased has requested for the mood to be less sombre (funerals are always sad). Like this woman who died of cancer, it was featured in the papers that she requested for all her guests to dress in pink.

There are some where maybe the person has lived a very long happy life, have many great grand children, so "mission accomplished". Some may have been sick for a long time, had a lot of time to psychologically prepare for death, and may be seen as a "sending off party". Funerals (and weddings) are also one of the rare occasions that friends and relatives from near and far can gather together. I've seen one with balloons and party streamers even, and when you look at all the smiley faces, it's hard to tell that it's a funeral.

Heck, I'm even thinking of having T-shirts printed and given out at my own funeral!

Anyway, back to topic. For funeral photography, is best you consult with the family directly. What may be accepted in one instance may not be acceptable in another, even though they both may be of the same culture/religion.

That said, respect and discretion would be most appreciated. I fully agree with the person who suggested you don't run around like you're covering an event.

i did it last year for 3 days, it was a paid job, for what i feel, its quite bored, but who cares, the paid was very good.

you need to know the main family member and always be ready for them whenever the guest is coming.

end up with 2 journal album and 1 coffee table and 1 video montage. You have to shoot the dead people in the coffin! interested experience though :):)

I've covered a few funerals before.

The thing is that you don't want to be caught smiling or asking people to smile. Be solemn, give respect to the deceased. Walk around slowly and quietly. Do not run, brisk walk or make lots of noise as it will irritate the family members. If you would like to take a picture of the deceased, ASK the direct family first. Make sure that they consult each other if not there might be squabbling within the family.

Some of the family members will choose to pose with the deceased. They would not be smiling (most of the time). So the best thing to say is "Ready, 1, 2, 3" rather than "1, 2, 3, Smile!"

Give due respect to the deceased, until the family members think that you are too stiff and need to relax. Personally I would not sit around if nothing is happening until the family tells me that it is okay.

Also, if the body is being transported to the crematorium, do encourage the family to take a picture with the deceased at the different parts of the crematorium, such as the back of the hearse, the hall for rituals, nearby the cremation room, and at the viewing room. Some family members are shy and would not want to take pictures at the crematorium, but it is the final stage of sending off and I believe if they have family overseas, they would want to see it there. (Some wanted to shoot at every single stage as most of the family is not local. Do ask if you are unsure.)

Unless they have specific instructions, the above should suffice you for a funeral.

While not much people would want to be caught dead taking such photos, pun intended. There is another group who wouldn't mind.

But minding the solemn state would be an important aspect. Avoid flash photography and do more on the candids.

I know of some who take such pictures on behalf of those relatives who are not able to be back for the funeral and thus at least still catch a glimpse of what transpired.

iRaphael;4918981 Some of the family members will choose to pose with the deceased. They would not be smiling (most of the time). So the best thing to say is "Ready said:
this one very tricky lay. it is more or less drilled into photog mind to say "1, 2, 3 smile / cheese".

at the point of funeral wake and cremation, family members are in a emotional state of mind that they are unlikely to want to have photos taken. however, there are people who look ahead and request to have photos taken. this is because, years down the road, not in the similiar emotional state of mind, having a set of photos help to recall/remember the event. for memories, to show distant relatives, or younger generations, etc.

Yah I dont understand this either. Why do people want to capture the funerals and get a set of photos which you most likely would not want to look at it again?:dunno:

I shot my aunt's funeral. It was terrible, the feeling inside me... being discreet is a must & using a PnS helps alot... All in all, I shot about 200++ images & have it burnt on a CD. I also made multiple copies of it for all my cousins...

http://francislee62.multiply.com/photos/album/32/.frame_4_frame_4_tears_4_tears...

Last edited:
for some people, seeing or taking about dead as a taboo, of course will not want to remember about it.

isn't there some taboo during a chinese funeral, like we are not supposed to look when they nail the coffin, or when they carry the coffin up the hearse? so as a photographer, it would do yourself good to follow such taboo.

unless you totally do not believe such things. :)
even if you don't believe such things, you have to respect the family of the deceased and follow the taboo.

Status
Not open for further replies.