From KX to KR-worth the upgrade?

i bet this is the problem a lot ppl facing. with the current kx price its really really way underprice. compare it to 500D you'll know(consider their launch around same time but kx optically much better lol)....

Depends on how much you want/need :

1. AF indicators
2. No more battery indication issues
3. Need improved HDR that has more options, is hand holdable and fires off on the self timer
4. Better Jpeg NR control
5. Slightly better high ISO performance
6. Slightly better build (rubber grip area)
7. Better AF
8. Supposed better dynamic range
9. AF correction (1 lens only)
11. Infrared
12. Front and back focus correction
13. Higher fps 6 (k-r), 4.7 (k-x)

Is the above justifiable (pt 3 to 7) to get Kr instead of Kx, with a price difference of about $200 (approx based on what SLR R's price)?

Is the above justifiable (pt 3 to 7) to get Kr instead of Kx, with a price difference of about $200 (approx based on what SLR R's price)?

Man! That is your decision not mine :bsmilie:

I am the 'Pentax pusher' so I will always say 'Of course' :)

infrared?

The K-r is the first PENTAX digital SLR camera equipped with the IrSimple™ high-speed infrared data transmission system. Since this system allows the user to transfer image data to IrSimple-compatible digital devices with great ease, users can effortlessly post images taken with the K-r on their own blogs via a cellular phone. This system also makes the K-r a brand-new photo communication tool, as it also allows users to exchange their image data using a pair of K-r, and even let them engage in a simple match game using Exif data attached to the images such as aperture or shutter-speed values.
http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2010/201013.html

anyone tried this?

Definately Worth it..!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bro, u change liao ?

Waiting for the cam to arrive..i try the K-R, maybe its me i find tat is faster, the screen is bigger if u own a k-x and when u try the K-R u will notice the different. But of course this is my own opinion, very subjective to other...but if so K-X and K7 floating in the B&S definately the latter ones is better:)

Since we always use the rear LCD screen, I have to say the K-r definitely has the edge over the K-x in this area. And if you add the other improvements, the difference in price between the two cameras is pretty insignificant.

"the difference in price between the two cameras is pretty insignificant." +1

You will want the Kr after getting the Kx, save the trouble and money in the long run.

"the difference in price between the two cameras is pretty insignificant." +1

You will want the Kr after getting the Kx, save the trouble and money in the long run.

you will want the K-5 after the KR ;) just skip all the way and get the K-5...

you will want the K-5 after the KR ;) just skip all the way and get the K-5...

I am in that exact situation. :embrass:

I had a black Kx, tot I should play around with a white Kr for now.

A few points of console myself.
Kx vs Kr $300 difference, Kr vs K5 double the price. :bsmilie:
Most of my lens are not WR, so I wont go shootin in the rain either.
Dont wanna waste my AA batts and the 8x Powerex charger.
But after buying the Kr then I realise the batt adapter is not available. :mad2:
And K5 is OOS, for now. lol

Just a thought, is the IQ btw Kr and K5, the AF speed and Pentaprism/Pentamirror, that big a difference?
The only features I want in the K5 is the +/-5 EV exposure compensation and the Meter pattern 77 segments.
Maybe I should play with a K5. :bsmilie:

I am in that exact situation.

I had a black Kx, tot I should play around with a white Kr for now.

A few points of console myself.

let me spoil the logic for u :devil:

Kx vs Kr $300 difference, Kr vs K5 double the price.

- the difference is worth every cent :thumbsup:

Most of my lens are not WR, so I wont go shootin in the rain either.

- you're not just paying for WR. u're paying for greater control, stainless steel chasis, better sensor, superior handling and ergonomics

Dont wanna waste my AA batts and the 8x Powerex charger.

But after buying the Kr then I realise the batt adapter is not available. :mad2:
And K5 is OOS, for now. lol

- AA batteries can be used for flash and other stuff. i bought energizer lithiums in bulk before i ordered the K-5. big deal.

Just a thought, is the IQ btw Kr and K5, the AF speed and Pentaprism/Pentamirror, that big a difference?

yes. brighter VF, and the K-5 VF covers 100% of FOV. won't end up pic kena crop cos VF not showing the corners properly.

The only features I want in the K5 is the +/-5 EV exposure compensation and the Meter pattern 77 segments.
Maybe I should play with a K5. :bsmilie:

- maybe u should just buy it :devil:

0_0 thats some deep poisoning. lol
I know I will buy it eventually.

Maybe Im too used to the Kx, thats why Im comfy with the Kr's controls.
Nvr try K7 or K5 before, thus maybe Im not enlightened yet.
Maybe I should join the Pentax outing. lol

0_0 thats some deep poisoning. lol
I know I will buy it eventually.

Maybe Im too used to the Kx, thats why Im comfy with the Kr's controls.
Nvr try K7 or K5 before, thus maybe Im not enlightened yet.
Maybe I should join the Pentax outing. lol

i started out with K-X too... but once u start on the K-5, there's no turning back :thumbsup:

can switch metering modes from spot, to center-weighted, to multi-segmented with the flick of a switch, or switch from AF.C to AF.S with another flick. 2 dials so u can adjust both shutter speed AND aperture at the same time in T-AV mode, without going into the menu.

i love the dedicated dials, switches and buttons :cool:

today i had a great time shooting with my K-x.
but when i read these treads, i cant help but think of buying a K5!! :kok:
my plan is to buy an UWA or a fish eye. but if i buy a K5 now, UWA and FE will need to wait maybe until december or next year...:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Last edited:
today i had a great time shooting with my K-x.
but when i read these trends, i cant help but think of buying a K5!! :kok:
my plan is to buy a UWA or a fish eye. but if i buy a K5 now, UWA and FE will need to wait maybe until december or next year...:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Just buy the lens first lah. K-5 & Kr can wait for u. No problemo.

The thing I see is that Lens price sometimes will shoot up. But Body price will not, they will go down in time. So might as well wait and get the lens u wanted.

*telling this to myself* :bsmilie:

Did anyone mention this forum is poisonous??? :)

Made the switch, lost some $$. Wouldn't have switch if didn't browse around this forum so much hehe.

I'd say it's worth it for my use which is the lowlight & iso, and the focus confirmation. So really if some particular thing is impt to yr type of photography every bit helps so imho think it's worth it.

Of coz I may be simply justifying myself hehe