"Friends of Singapore - At work, at play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tengk

Aug 14, 2012
west coast
I am embarking on a photographic project titled "Friends of Singapore":sweat: I hope to learn more about the art of photography, the stories behind a picture and hopefully the people i meet. I want to capture a moment in the life of a foreigner living in Singapore. It could be at work or at play, alone or with their family and friends. I would approach and obtain their permission to take a picture of them in an enviroment they are in. I'll portray them as a being a part of a place with images that has elements of perspective and scale. All the images will be captured with a wide angle lens to maintain some consistency in the presentation, there will only be manipulation at a basic level to improve colours, shadows and highlights. There will be no HDR or special effects except for B&W shots(most likely converted from colour). I also want the images to be BIG(hence large files) to emphasis the scale and details of the place. The large file will be emailed to these "Friends of Singapore". It is to share with them the scale and perspective of the image and their place in ourt enviroment. Hence there is an interactive part. Here's the link to kick start my project. I hope that some of you will also contribute to this project. However do follow the format that i mentioned above. esp the scale and detail part, big images.
:sweat:
Here is the link
Photo Editing, Photo Sharing | Photoshop.com

Thanks for sharing your project and I think it is a good one to start. I look forward to seeing pictures taken by yourself.

However, I am not sure what you are asking for in your long long statement above. When you mentioned the following...

All the images will be captured with a wide angle lens to maintain some consistency in the presentation, there will only be manipulation at a basic level to improve colours, shadows and highlights. There will be no HDR or special effects except for B&W shots(most likely converted from colour). I also want the images to be BIG(hence large files) to emphasis the scale and details of the place. The large file will be emailed to these "Friends of Singapore". It is to share with them the scale and perspective of the image and their place in ourt enviroment. Hence there is an interactive part. Here's the link to kick start my project. I hope that some of you will also contribute to this project. However do follow the format that i mentioned above. esp the scale and detail part, big images.

Are you asking for free work from fellow photographers? What are the terms and conditions? Who will own the images? Which organization do you belong to? What is the official backing for this project.

If you are not going to be clear about your project requirements, what remuneration are you offering in exchange for pictures, or even who is official organization backing this project, or the terms and copyright issues, and how the pictures will be used... I seriously think it is not a good idea for anyone to pay heed to your request.

Hi daredevil123 and all interested parties, Thanks for the quick response. First an foremost i expect no remuneration or finacial gain from this project nor should anyone who wish to contribute their images. I don't want to own the images except my own.The photographer owns the image but can only put up the images with permission from the person featured, preferably a written response otherwise verbal. Essentially a picture contributed by a willing photographer of a willing person/persons in the enviroment they are in. I do not belong to any organisation or photgraphic/imaging/publication/advertising company. I am not an agent of any sorts trying to grow my contacts, just a guy trying to have some purpose in a photo project and inviting others to join in the fun. I don't even tell the person/persons involved what i do for a living except that i'm doing this project. As i am new to this, maybe i can get some guidance from everyone around. Of course if there is a potential for unnececessary legal issues involving clubsnap then i will not proceed with inviting interested photographers to participate.
The details that you highlighted are merely to reflect a format that i would like to adhere to if i'm doing this project on my own hence same applies to anyone interested. I wish as little time and effort on part of the photgrapher except for effort in making the picture, therefore as minimal manipulation as possible. Truly we are just capturing the moment, no need to render it into a fantastic image. If the elements and light allows for it then let the image speaks for itself. A large image to be emailed to the person/persons is to allow them to open and view an image of themselves not on a web page where they have to squint and look, but to see themselves and their surrounding in an image bigger than their screen size allows, they now have to scroll and look for themselves in the picture. That way hopefully the person/persons see themselves in the picture in a different light. I hope i have cleared the air a bit. I hope to receive further guidance in this matter. Thank you all for the interest. Now you know why i put up :sweat:

Firstly, it would be easier to read your posts, if you organize them better into paragraphs with titles and bullet points. And state CLEARLY the objectives, terms and conditions, copyrights, and steps to participate. Just reading your posts is already a chore.

Secondly, I think starting a thread in the Gallery section of Clubsnap under "Streets and Candid" will be more appropriate. Just post your picture by hot-linking the pictures in your posts, not by offering a link to an external site. This is to make viewing of pictures in the thread a lot easier. When inviting others to post pictures in the same thread, please ask them to do the same. I am sure viewers will appreciate viewing the pictures in the thread itself, and not needing to go to many other sites just to view each picture. If you do not know how to post images to a thread, you can read the guide here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/articles-guides/94574-users-guide-posting-images-clubsnap-forums.html

Links to larger versions of the pictures can be posted at the bottom of each corresponding image posted. And participants should invite their subjects to come view the entire body of work in the clubsnap thread itself.

For those participating, I would strongly advise them to post pictures with their own watermarks or copyright measures (like Digimarc) if they are concerned about copyright issues.

I wish you all the best in your project.

Last edited:
Firstly, it would be easier to read your posts, if you organize them better into paragraphs with titles and bullet points. And state CLEARLY the objectives, terms and conditions, copyrights, and steps to participate. Just reading your posts is already a chore.

Secondly, I think starting a thread in the Gallery section of Clubsnap under "Streets and Candid" will be more appropriate. Just post your picture by hot-linking the pictures in your posts, not by offering a link to an external site. This is to make viewing of pictures in the thread a lot easier. When inviting others to post pictures in the same thread, please ask them to do the same. I am sure viewers will appreciate viewing the pictures in the thread itself, and not needing to go to many other sites just to view each picture. If you do not know how to post images to a thread, you can read the guide here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/articles-guides/94574-users-guide-posting-images-clubsnap-forums.html

Links to larger versions of the pictures can be posted at the bottom of each corresponding image posted. And participants should invite their subjects to come view the entire body of work in the clubsnap thread itself.

For those participating, I would strongly advise them to post pictures with their own watermarks or copyright measures (like Digimarc) if they are concerned about copyright issues.

I wish you all the best in your project.
Thanks for showing the way!I will now work on posting it correctly. Will definitely repost the thread on streets and candid, one last thing so how do i remove this thread from this newbies corner.

Just leave it here to serve as a reference to others who want to start any similar projects. ;)

Thanks for showing the way!I will now work on posting it correctly. Will definitely repost the thread on streets and candid, one last thing so how do i remove this thread from this newbies corner.
I have now posted my images from my photo project at the club snap gallery tengk Gallery - ClubSNAP Photo Galleries This must be the shortest thread ever! I will continue to add to it.

Last edited:
its tough reading without paragraphs brother

sorry, I am a little slow today ..... still dont quite get it

you're looking for fellow photogs for a project or you looking for subjects ?

its tough reading without paragraphs brother

sorry, I am a little slow today ..... still dont quite get it

you're looking for fellow photogs for a project or you looking for subjects ?
Dear ed9119 and interested parties, sorry about the confusion,i am even slower than all of you. Let me try to consolidate my thoughts and put it in words.
I have always enjoyed taking photos and recording places or sights of interest to me. Then i started taking interest in taking pictures with people(apart from family and friends) in it. I also realise that taking candid shots without interacting with the person/persons seems one sided.(i also realise many photographers interact with their subjects and it seems more fun)

So i decide to embark on a personal photgraphic project (of no commercial value or intent) with the theme "Friends of Singapore". I have observed many foreigners at work and at play, they seem pretty happy to go about doing their thing and enjoying our enviroment, so i thought i should make it my project.

Why big files, large images? I am not sure how many of us enjoy looking at pictures that are smaller and when enlarged looks blur because of downsizing for a computer screen just so we can see the whole image. However beautiful an image seems somewhat plain, hence all the HDR etc. btw i love HDR, on the cpu screen it makes an image pop! I also realise large images bring a different sense of scale and dimension(now i know why the MF guys love their large images and why people still go to the movies, we all love big images, btw i am also a movie fan hence big images are my thing) The first time i open a large image file i became a changed man, i see the light differently! Now can you imagine the person/persons in the image receiving and opening such a large file. The amazement and fascination by the scale and details may change his perception of the image. This brings interaction with them to a different level (remember the encounter was totally random and unexpected. It is now no longer one sided). And at the same time i confirmed their permission, without obligations, to post the images.

I started the thread in the hope that any photographer could post such images, at their own goodwill of course. I can no longer do this as i don't know how to restart this thread in the right section, i can't seem to find the post new thread command on my screen. Maybe someone could restart this thread in some other section and we could all contribute to it. I am not looking for any subject as every encounter is random. My pictures are found here tengk Gallery - ClubSNAP Photo Galleries I will continue to upload on a weekly or fortnightly basis.
I hope this is clear enough for all to understand. Thanks for the interest and sorry about the confusion.

I started the thread in the hope that any photographer could post such images, at their own goodwill of course. .

ok got it thanks

Then I suggest you begin a photo sharing thread in Galleries section (Streets and Candids sub-gallery imho) and post your images there and inviting others to join in and add to your images

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/photo-galleries/

Last edited:
ok got it thanks

Then I suggest you begin a photo sharing thread in Galleries section (Streets and Candids sub-gallery imho) and post your images there and inviting others to join in and add to your images

Photo Galleries
I have reposted this thread under Streets and Candid. Here's the link

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/street-candids/1161562-friends-singapore-work-play.html Thanks again to all for the feedback and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.