freewares for amateur photographers

anybody know if there are freeware photo presentation software?

picasa?

my fren use it to present images at wedding dinner

Linux users should just stick to GIMP: it is pre-compiled and bundled into just about every single desktop Linux distro available, along with UFRaw.

Not to mention that CinePaint is a very old fork of GIMP which has its own set of dependencies that may not be satisfied in every distro out there without acquiring some additional software libraries from the distro server.

And by the way, I use Linux. Fedora 10, to be precise. ;)

Linux/GNU, *BSD rules!!!!!!

Nope. Got other better reviewers on-line. How many photo editors are portable?

I don't use all the software listed here. I only consolidate them for references and need to rely on others to tell us which are usable.

The portable editors are listed on the first page.

Last edited:
While I have very good results with Hugin for pano stitching. I do not seem to have the same level of results for HDR with Picturenaut and Luminance HDR. I have not been able to have a very natural looking blend with high dynamic range. Do you guys have the same result or I am not doing something right? I am now using Photomatix but the HDR effect is too pronounced. Any HDR expert here can advise how to make natural looking HDR?

Before editing anything: Monitor calibration. An Open Source hardware and software project: Hughski - ColorHug

not free right? It says GBP60 in the comparison chart and only supports Linux.

hi

you should also consider listing linux free software if someone contribute them. But for this one, I am not sure, because I'm not sure if one can benefit from the software without paying for the hardware.

linux is not that difficult to use, even little girls are using it. try ubuntu.com , the installation is so easy, and lots of GUI..

:)

hi

you should also consider listing linux free software if someone contribute them. But for this one, I am not sure, because I'm not sure if one can benefit from the software without paying for the hardware.

linux is not that difficult to use, even little girls are using it. try ubuntu.com , the installation is so easy, and lots of GUI..

:)

I am aware of Linux. At this point, it does not look they will go mainstream. People are more interested in the free stuff on Android and iOS. Let's just keep this to the Windows users for now. Plus I am sure those gurus who are dabbling in Linux will know what they are doing. This thread is more for the everyday people like me. :)

Forgot your bubble level and have an iPhone ?

[h=1]Clinometer HD - bubble level and slope finder:[/h]With this tool, the slope can be measured by all edges of the device in every direction. When the device is put flat on the table a bubble view will fade in.

mzl.oopyvbqv.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.noxqyufe.480x480-75.jpg

and it tells you which direction to move. I found it awesome so sharing. Not sure how long it will be free though.

DOF calculator for IOS devices : Brought to you by Nikonians.org

Description

Depth of Field (DOF) and Hyperfocal Distance are two very important items when it comes down to getting the right amount of blur or sharpness depth in your shot. But how can you calculate these easily?

We Nikonians have had a great article written by J. Ramon Palacios (jrp), the “Depth of the Field(DOF) and Hyperfocal Distance” also containing a Depth of Field and Hyperfocal Distance calculator.

Using this app one can easily calculate all these important figures and effectively improve the photography results.

App Store - Nikonians Depth of Field Calculator

mzlcagtzogk320x48075.jpg

I wud like to stack 3 pics left/right or up/down evenly. And can add simple stars, cute objects, dialogue box..etc... Any recommendation?

Is there any updates to this thread ? wonder what is the new starter s/w for newbies.