Free Win XP Service Pack 2 to fight Viruses

Status
Not open for further replies.
xdivider said:
Unix is easy, juz run as root and run a unverified binary from someone...... :bsmilie: If not, a client setup with only patched ssh running should be real secure. Main thing is user education :nono:
Yea, the point is no one ever does that. In fact no one ever runs as root on unix unless they are upgrading / installing something or reconfiguring the system.

DarkForce said:
Till now there are no such things as perfect OS or application and it will never have in future. Lots of ppt think that firewall can block hacker but little do they know it a matter of time it can be break through. Thus the real definition of firewall (be it hardware or software) should be it can only slow down hacker from breaking in.

Not matter how good is the OS is being design, there are still someone could mess with it.

Linux was claims to be virus proof as it was using Unix's design but now there are anti-virus software for Linux
Much of this is true but the fact is that windoze is the most widely deployed OS and hence the biggest target for virus writers. If I can write a worm and infect 1,000,000 windoze machines as opposed to 100 linux machines, where would I go? Even if linux is much less secure, there are a much larger number of ppl targeting windoze and any hole is sure to get broken much faster than unix/linux/mac/vms.

As for unix anti virus software, I've yet to come across anyone using it :)

laugh said:
then use VMS lor or any other UNIX platform lor..
I for one am not ashamed to say I love windows.. :)

heh, I've gotten over the "which OS do you love" stage. just get the work done and it's the RIGHT OS :D that's why I use windows :)

sriram said:
Much of this is true but the fact is that windoze is the most widely deployed OS and hence the biggest target for virus writers. If I can write a worm and infect 1,000,000 windoze machines as opposed to 100 linux machines, where would I go? Even if linux is much less secure, there are a much larger number of ppl targeting windoze and any hole is sure to get broken much faster than unix/linux/mac/vms.

As for unix anti virus software, I've yet to come across anyone using it :)

you're right sriram, worms and viruses are completely different things. I know for VMS (because I worked on them) would be very hard to have virus infection because of the design. But worms may not require privilege to spread, it can take advantage of "proper" network application's normal procedure to spread itself.

RemAcuTetigisti said:
This is not anything new. It is just a public beta for related people to test and ensure stability etc...

Incorrect, this version of SP2 is not BETA. It is Candidate 1. If eveything goes well, it should be exactly the same as final release. :)

Beta is totally a different thing.

hwchoy said:
you're right sriram, worms and viruses are completely different things. I know for VMS (because I worked on them) would be very hard to have virus infection because of the design. But worms may not require privilege to spread, it can take advantage of "proper" network application's normal procedure to spread itself.
Yeah, like the notorious sendmail worm by Robert Morris. Here, for those of you who aren't familiar with unix:
http://world.std.com/~franl/worm.html
http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/hackers/robert-morris/

hwchoy said:
heh, I've gotten over the "which OS do you love" stage. just get the work done and it's the RIGHT OS :D that's why I use windows :)

haha, then you should love windows too. It helps you get things done. ;)

DarkForce said:
Lots of ppt think that firewall can block hacker but little do they know it a matter of time it can be break through. Thus the real definition of firewall (be it hardware or software) should be it can only slow down hacker from breaking in.

im not saying firewall protects you 100%, but without it, your pc stands naked. You are truly safe when you unplug yourself from the network..oh yah..no floppys too. :)

laugh said:
haha, then you should love windows too. It helps you get things done. ;)

im not saying firewall protects you 100%, but without it, your pc stands naked. You are truly safe when you unplug yourself from the network..oh yah..no floppys too. :)

Well, that is why Microsoft had improved the build-in firewall in the service pack 2 , hoping to slow down those hacker , worms etc .... The most important things is ppt should keep-on upgrading their knowledge and be alert enough to find any funny things that is going on in the PC. :D

DarkForce said:
Well, that is why Microsoft had improved the build-in firewall in the service pack 2 , hoping to slow down those hacker , worms etc .... The most important things is ppt should keep-on upgrading their knowledge and be alert enough to find any funny things that is going on in the PC. :D

there is NO WAY I'm going to trust MS with my firewall :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: I'd rather use ZoneAlarm. :blah:

hwchoy said:
there is NO WAY I'm going to trust MS with my firewall :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: I'd rather use ZoneAlarm. :blah:

I am using Norton Security 2004 suite :lovegrin: :lovegrin: :lovegrin: :lovegrin:

hwchoy said:
I do I do, I just won't deem to call it an Operating System. ;p

haha..ok ok...fine.

There are other free firewalls around like kerio and tiny personal firewall which are quite good as well.

laugh said:
haha..ok ok...fine.

There are other free firewalls around like kerio and tiny personal firewall which are quite good as well.

Don't forget Mcafee firewall too... :blah: :D :D

Hi guys, OT alittle here. I need your valuable advice on this.

Recently I've been receiving suspicious email attachments (mostly are W32.sasser worm or W32.Netsky worm as detected by my NAV).
However I also received several delivery failure report emails from other emails account which I never sent email to. Below is what I received...

To: jervisjun@yahoo.com.sg
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 23:06:59 +0800
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

AdminStaff@smu.edu.sg

Message/delivery-status

Reporting-MTA: dns;EX01.staff.smu.edu.sg
Received-From-MTA: dns;ieg02.smu.edu.sg
Arrival-Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 23:06:59 +0800

Final-Recipient: rfc822;AdminStaff@smu.edu.sg
Action: failed
X-Display-Name: Admin Staff

Forwarded Message
To: adminstaff@smu.edu.sg
Subject: Re: Administration
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 23:06:40 +0800

Plain Text Attachment

First part of the secure mail is available.

Plain Text Attachment

A file attached to this email was removed because it was infected with
a virus.

Result: Virus Detected
Virus Name: W32.Netsky.P@mm
File Attachment: msg.zip
Attachment Status: deleted

I did turn off my system restore feature and ran the w32 worm fixtool downloaded from Symantec in SAFE mood. However it did not pick up the worm. I also have the habbit of updating my virus definitions and winxp patch regularly.

Experts and Computer Gurus, what do you guys think of this? Is my PC infected with any worms? Any recommendations or advice for me? I have yet to experience problems yet except the annoying (i mean more than 10) worm attachment emails I receive everyday.

Any help here is greatly appreciated!
Thanks...

hwchoy said:
you're not infected, someone is sending infected mail with your email as the sender.
Is there anything I can do to stop or prevent this?
Thanks so much for your prompt reply, hwchoy!
:)

DarkForce said:
Well,

Linux was claims to be virus proof as it was using Unix's design but now there are anti-virus software for Linux

Which incidently don't find Linux viruses/worms. They find WINDOWS viruses and worms. Those products are intended to run on File servers (and occasionaly mail servers) for people who want an AV solution on their server.
(A complete waste of time/money and CPU cycles if you want my opinion, AV has to be at the client end :)

Actually Linux/MacOSX worms could be far more insidious than their Windows brethren - the host systems are less likely to crash, so the worms will get to do their stuff much longer before the user notices their machine has been 'owned'.

Running 'untrusted' code at a high privledge level is a problem no matter the OS. I think the main problem with Windows is how Microsoft marketed it. They have made many unrealistic marketing claims about it's reliablity and security that are just not true. To many people belived them and didn't take due caution.

jervislim said:
Hi guys, OT alittle here. I need your valuable advice on this.

Recently I've been receiving suspicious email attachments (mostly are W32.sasser worm or W32.Netsky worm as detected by my NAV).
However I also received several delivery failure report emails from other emails account which I never sent email to. Below is what I received...

I did turn off my system restore feature and ran the w32 worm fixtool downloaded from Symantec in SAFE mood. However it did not pick up the worm. I also have the habbit of updating my virus definitions and winxp patch regularly.

Experts and Computer Gurus, what do you guys think of this? Is my PC infected with any worms? Any recommendations or advice for me? I have yet to experience problems yet except the annoying (i mean more than 10) worm attachment emails I receive everyday.

Any help here is greatly appreciated!
Thanks...

Hi jervislim,

If you always update your anti-virus pattern file and be alert on your system behaviour then you are 90% safe.

Viruses / Worm are becoming very intelligence. When they got into a PC, they will scan through the address and randomly pick two email out of it (one for the To field, one for the From field) Thus, maybe your friends might got a virus and the virus happen to pick your email from his address book and using your name to spread the virus to others. When the recipient server detect a virus, they are kind enought to reply the sender (in this case is you) a notification.

Therefore , there is nothing you can do abt it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.