Format Memory Card before use

Hi. With regard to the most recent remark, I believe there is indeed a difference between formatting with a computer and doing the same with the camera's firmware. In this case, I am referring to the NIKON dslr cameras.

With the latter, when you do a format, all images will be erased, except for the blank folder to which captures are saved, plus there is a system file called Nikon001.dsc i believe it contains the machine codes used by the camera to recognize and manage the saved images in the folder. However, if you format the card using the computer, everything on the card is erased, everything! There will not be any blank folder or system file. I suspect this may be a reason why some memory cards were not able to function well in the camera. Pls do correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
when u take a photo, it will recreate the folder

With the latter, when you do a format, all images will be erased, except for the blank folder to which captures are saved, plus there is a system file called Nikon001.dsc i believe it contains the machine codes used by the camera to recognize and manage the saved images in the folder. However, if you format the card using the computer, everything on the card is erased, everything! There will not be any blank folder or system file. I suspect this may be a reason why some memory cards were not able to function well in the camera. Pls do correct me if I am wrong.
Formatting is a file system level activity which is clearly defined. Neither Canon, Nikon or anybody else will re-invest this, they have to follow what is already defined by IT for many years.
Also Canon cameras will create specific folders after the formatting is done. If you format the card in computer and insert into the camera it will create all folders required.

canonfan65 said:
Hi. With regard to the most recent remark, I believe there is indeed a difference between formatting with a computer and doing the same with the camera's firmware. In this case, I am referring to the NIKON dslr cameras.

Are you trying to say that all memory cards won't work well in bodies because they're empty when you bought them?