Focusing problem on Tokina 11 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorlak

Apr 22, 2009
manila
www.flickr.com
Just bought my Tokina 11 -16 last Saturday on John316. Went to test it on the bay front that day got fairly quality pics base on colors, though i have a difficult time understanding the right exposure for this lens since its new to me.

This morning, Sunday, i test the focusing of the lens..My first impression is when using the AF the lens tends to be soft to softer...When using the MF, you can really hit the spot, crisp and sharp!.. Does anyone had the same observation and experience?

If i bought a dud, can i still replace it with a new one or replace it with canon 10-22?

Thanks

I read about this problem when considering to buy the 11-16 lens.

Most users agree on the following points.

1) Being a third party lens maker they are more tolerant in their Quality control hence results from different lens of the same model are inconsistent.

2) Also being a third party lens maker, they could not "communicate" 100% with the camera.

Some users even commented it really depends on your luck.

However, Tokina lenses come with 2 year warranty, you can try servicing it.

Hi, i think u have same problem with me, because bfore christmas i bought also from john 3:16, and when i tested last weekend, i think this lens has some problem w/ AF (when the object quite far from me), but if the object quite near AF work very well
here is some picture w/ back focusing problem :cry:

4262209628_154681bb65_o.jpg

4262195484_63ec3533de_o.jpg

I read about this problem when considering to buy the 11-16 lens.

Most users agree on the following points.

1) Being a third party lens maker they are more tolerant in their Quality control hence results from different lens of the same model are inconsistent.

2) Also being a third party lens maker, they could not "communicate" 100% with the camera.

Some users even commented it really depends on your luck.

However, Tokina lenses come with 2 year warranty, you can try servicing it.

Thanks...you have a point there my friend thats the gamble on buying a 3rd party lens. At first, im inclined in buying the canon 10 22, but i was hooked on the f2.8 and the low light capability(which i still cant figure out) of tokina.....
About "luck", thats the one thing i dont want to consider in buying such equipments. : )

Ill continue testing it till next week, if i still cant figure this thing out im off to the service center.:D

When I bought my Tokina 11-16, I spent half hour in the shop comparing 3 copies, mainly looking at focusing accuracy. The shop owner gave me the focusing chart to let me try. Among the 3 copies, there is one with obvious back focusing problem, the other two also have different sharpness quality. From this perspective, buying a third-party lens is a pain.

When I bought my Tokina 11-16, I spent half hour in the shop comparing 3 copies, mainly looking at focusing accuracy. The shop owner gave me the focusing chart to let me try. Among the 3 copies, there is one with obvious back focusing problem, the other two also have different sharpness quality. From this perspective, buying a third-party lens is a pain.

Btw, which shop did you go to?

I bought it in Taiwan, not because the lens is slightly cheaper there, but mainly due to too much NT$ left for some reasons.

Bought mine from AP. So far so good and no issues at all. Focusing was fast and sharp regardless of any lighting conditions. Rgrds.:)

I bought it in Taiwan, not because the lens is slightly cheaper there, but mainly due to too much NT$ left for some reasons.

how did you test the lenses? did you bring your computer there too?

In Singapore, which shop is so kind that allows us to test a couple of lenses before committing to the purchase?

I am keen in buying the tokina too but not very expert when come to testing for front/back focusing problem.

how did you test the lenses? did you bring your computer there too?

In Singapore, which shop is so kind that allows us to test a couple of lenses before committing to the purchase?

I am keen in buying the tokina too but not very expert when come to testing for front/back focusing problem.

I didn't bring my computer to the shop, just used the focusing chart the shop provided and checked the result from my D90 LCD (whcih is awesome!)

That was my first time buying a lens. Before going there, I did some homework and learnt many from this forum, and found some more details on FocusTestChart.com.

I havn't bought any lens in Singapore yet. If people say our local shops do not allow testing on multiple copies, I will stick to Taipei Camera Street 漢口街一段.

I didn't bring my computer to the shop, just used the focusing chart the shop provided and checked the result from my D90 LCD (whcih is awesome!)

That was my first time buying a lens. Before going there, I did some homework and learnt many from this forum, and found some more details on FocusTestChart.com.

I havn't bought any lens in Singapore yet. If people say our local shops do not allow testing on multiple copies, I will stick to Taipei Camera Street 漢口街一段.

Comparing the Taiwan prices with Singapore prices, which are most expensive?

The Tokina lenses you bought from Taiwan comes with International warranty correct? So should not be an issue getting it service in Singapore.

Can PM me the shop in Taiwan?

I did my homework of price comparison by checking yahoo.com.tw auction. The warranty is one year Taiwan local. But I need to travel to Taiwan quite often on business, so it is not an issue for me. I don't remember the name of the shop I bought (my Taiwanese friend keeps the invoice for me), but all these camera shops are together within 50 meters on that street, very easy to locate and compare. I can't guarantee they are selling at a better price, but their service, at least attitude, is awesome, compared with our local shops.

Buying a lens in Taiwan suites me very well, but it may not be the best idea for everyone. So please make your own judgement.

zorlak - do you mind if you share how much you bought this lens for

Comparing the Taiwan prices with Singapore prices, which are most expensive?

The Tokina lenses you bought from Taiwan comes with International warranty correct? So should not be an issue getting it service in Singapore.

Can PM me the shop in Taiwan?

Always make the habit to ask if its grey set or distributor set when you ask for the price. :)

There are quite a few camera shops along the street mentioned by firstrazor but do remember to bring sufficient cash for any purchase.

For Tokina, the warranty card should be the same as the one you would see in Singapore. Basically its a 2 years international warranty card. :)

I travel to Taiwan (Taipei) twice or three times a year. Plus my friend is also interested, so at least I will be getting two similar lenses. But we would very much prefer international warranty than local. Btw, what was the price that you got your for?

is the price much cheaper?

gng to taipei coming april, wld be great to purchase a lens there

Status
Not open for further replies.