Focal length

gohjialong

Jul 16, 2010
Hi guys, i just got myself an 85mm. If im using aps-c camera, does it mean that i have a focal length equivalent to that of a ff camera with 135mm lens?

Yes, you would have a "virtual" focal length of 85 x 1.6 = 136mm. All lenses would be "affected" this way because of the crop sensor in your aps-c camera.

depends on ur APS-C crop. if its 1.6 which normally is then u 85mm X 1.6 = 136mm

Hi guys, i just got myself an 85mm. If im using aps-c camera, does it mean that i have a focal length equivalent to that of a ff camera with 135mm lens?

Yes the equivalent field of view on the APS-C camera will be similar. Focal length strictly speaking remains unchanged

Ryan

also, dont forget the effective aperture (in terms of relative DOF) will drop to 1 & 1/3 stop...

what does it mean by 'effective aperture (in terms of relative DOF) will drop to 1 & 1/3 stop'..could you help to explain further this...thnks

Thanks guys, using 1.6 crop so i guess its 136mm then.

Well in that case, crop cameras has more advantage in longer distance compared to FF? And FF has the advantage in wider angles? I mean considering that you are having the same lens.

also, dont forget the effective aperture (in terms of relative DOF) will drop to 1 & 1/3 stop...

so if im using crop with f1.8 , what does the FF get?

Yes, you would have a "virtual" focal length of 85 x 1.6 = 136mm. All lenses would be "affected" this way because of the crop sensor in your aps-c camera.

"Virtual" focal length = effective field of view.

Focal length is a physical thing that cannot be changed, strictly speaking... Unless you modify the lens. For TS info please.

Well in that case, crop cameras has more advantage in longer distance compared to FF? And FF has the advantage in wider angles? I mean considering that you are having the same lens.

It's hard to say which has the "advantage". After all, the FF users will argue that a crop taken from a FF camera will give just as good IQ.

For wide angles, which I am more familiar with, these tend to be used for landscape shots or architecturals. Of course the uses are not limited to that, but you would find it relatively painful to use a UWA perspective to shoot people all the time. For these, FF does have an advantage in the sense of dynamic range and amount of detail. This relates to the sensor. With leaps and bounds in technology, this gap between FF and CF has been narrowed.

If you're talking about perspective, then that's nonsense. The widest effective FoV (let's use 35mm, or FF scale for easier discussion) for a FF camera (rectilinear) is 12mm today. The widest effective FoV for a CF camera (rectilinear as well) is 8 x 1.5 = 12mm. Both 12mm results don't allow you to use filters at present-time. Something to note is that most of the UWA for FF cameras tend to require a significant amount of distortion correction (barrel distortion). UWA that produce equivalent FoV on CF cameras tend to be more well-corrected.

hi, can clarify about this. don't quite get what you mean. if set to f/1.8 on the camera, what you get isn't actually f/1.8?

TIA. :)

If you're talking about perspective, then that's nonsense. The widest effective FoV (let's use 35mm, or FF scale for easier discussion) for a FF camera (rectilinear) is 12mm today. The widest effective FoV for a CF camera (rectilinear as well) is 8 x 1.5 = 12mm. Both 12mm results don't allow you to use filters at present-time. Something to note is that most of the UWA for FF cameras tend to require a significant amount of distortion correction (barrel distortion). UWA that produce equivalent FoV on CF cameras tend to be more well-corrected.

Hi dont really understand this part man. Kinda blur already.

for those who are asking for my rocket scientist term, here's how it works...

assuming the same subject, the same framing, the same distance, an 85mm f/1.2L on 7D, will have the same dof as 135mm f/2L on 5D Mark II [f/2 is 1 & 1/3 slower than f/1.2]...

so 85mm f/1.8 [true focal length & aperture] on 1.6 crop is like having 135 f/2.8 [equivalent or effective focal length & aperture] on FF...

*take note, we're talking about the effects of aperture on DOF only! exposure will still use the lens' true aperture"

Hi dont really understand this part man. Kinda blur already.

I can't help you with this until you elaborate what you don't understand.

For example, if I say that "Grandma went to the park and she fetched a pail of water" and you tell me that you don't understand it, which part do you not understand? The fact that Grandma went to the park? Or how did Grandma even get to the park? Or what she is fetching a pail of water for?

for those who are asking for my rocket scientist term, here's how it works...

assuming the same subject, the same framing, the same distance, an 85mm f/1.2L on 7D, will have the same dof as 135mm f/2L on 5D Mark II [f/2 is 1 & 1/3 slower than f/1.2]...

so 85mm f/1.8 [true focal length & aperture] on 1.6 crop is like having 135 f/2.8 [equivalent or effective focal length & aperture] on FF...

*take note, we're talking about the effects of aperture on DOF only! exposure will still use the lens' true aperture"

pretty clear explanation, think I got what you're putting across.

so what you're saying is about relative dof (what you get in your pictures when using crop bodies) right.

thanks! :)

I can't help you with this until you elaborate what you don't understand.

For example, if I say that "Grandma went to the park and she fetched a pail of water" and you tell me that you don't understand it, which part do you not understand? The fact that Grandma went to the park? Or how did Grandma even get to the park? Or what she is fetching a pail of water for?

I would say, i dont understand why you want to tell me how the grandma went to the park and so on. like why you told me abt effective FoV, rectilinear, 12mm results all these. i hope you understand what im trying to say.