First DSLR

kei1309 said:
excuse me? what a half-assed assumption there. just because a product is discontinued doesn't mean it's bad.

it's just like the 30D etc. they stopped making it because it turned into a frog eating contraption.

zzzzz

to be fair, 30d production was ceased when 40d came out I think.. For A33 it was taken off the market too fast... Usually models are left on the market for longer...

Rashkae said:
No need to limit himself to those 2 brands if he wants more value for his $$$.

Im sure he knows what to get right? He can think for himself. We can tell him 10 brands and he will still choose the one he's comfortable with :)

edutilos- said:
Just like girls, some people only look at the one and get carried away. there is a difference between knowing that there are 20 choices and choosing from these, and just thinking that there are 2 and picking from these when there ARE 20...

Inevitably, its up to him to decide. If he does sway from his initial choice, it just comes to show he is not firm on his own decision. Dont worry he will do fine :)

Im sure he knows what to get right? He can think for himself. We can tell him 10 brands and he will still choose the one he's comfortable with :)

You would be amazed. If he knew what to get, he would not be posting here, he would already be out taking pictures.

You would be amazed. If he knew what to get, he would not be posting here, he would already be out taking pictures.

to be fair, 30d production was ceased when 40d came out I think.. For A33 it was taken off the market too fast... Usually models are left on the market for longer...

yea that's true. but to be fair, the A55 also suffers from the overheating issue, but it's still around. what i'm guessing is that according the the Alpha Rumors site, the new model was supposed to be launched, but delayed because of the tsunami. but they went ahead with the A33 discontinuation first. that's my take. hmmm.

One of thing you have to consider, in future do you want to continue upgrade your gears for DSLR. Afterall, after buying a couple of lens and gears, I don't think you really want to switch to another system/brand when you want to move let say from: Sony / Pentax to Canon / Nikon.

Think carefully first before you buy. Survey each brands and see the equipments you want to upgrade in future, do you really want that as an upgraded gear?

If not upgrading in future, then choose a system / brand that best out for the $1000 deal.

You lose more than you can gain by being an impulsive buyer.

Damn, I wish someone had hit me on the head and told me that everytime I have the BBB itch... like when I went ahead and bought the D5k without realizing it didn't have a BIM. :( Great fun camera though.