Filming amateur soccer matches

tshirtsuntan

Apr 28, 2015
Singapore
Hi to all experts, would be grateful for some seasoned advice.

i am planning to shoot my amateur football team's games. i am planning to place the camera on the halfway line to pan left and right. games are generally played 11am to 7pm so the camera would have to be good under heavy sunlight. possibly to be shot from above as most schools do not have stands so would probably need a tripod. i have a budget of $1000 for the whole rig. the intention is to capture the whole game of 2 hours and editing to highlight bits. practicality is my priority as travelling without a car can be a hassle. would be grateful for any advice!

done a lil research and the Panasonic HC v770 seems a good fit with an external jack for a better mic.

Im very new to these gadgets so would appreciate your help!

i wouldnt mind a good condition 2nd hand model to reduce cost.

Cheers!

Last edited:
No comments on that particular model, but you may want to note that you probably need to budget for additional batteries.

Based on the official specs, the camera is supplied with the VW-VBT190 (1940mAh) battery, which gives you up to an hour in HD, or 100 mins if shooting at lower settings

Actual Recordable Time with Supplied Battery:
Approx. 55 min (50p mode)/Approx. 55 min (PH mode)/Approx. 55 min (HA mode)/Approx. 55 min (HG mode)/Approx. 55 min (HE mode)/Approx. 50 min (MP4 50M)/Approx. 55 min (MP4 28M)/Approx.1 h 00 min (MP4 720p)/Approx. 1 h 00 min (iFrame)

Getting the higher-capacity VW-VBT380 (3880mAh) should allow you to stretch the time to twice that in theory. Or you could just get multiple sets of the lower cap one.

No comments on that particular model, but you may want to note that you probably need to budget for additional batteries.

Based on the, the camera is supplied with the VW-VBT190 (1940mAh) battery, which gives you up to an hour in HD, or 100 mins if shooting at lower settings

Actual Recordable Time with Supplied Battery:
Approx. 55 min (50p mode)/Approx. 55 min (PH mode)/Approx. 55 min (HA mode)/Approx. 55 min (HG mode)/Approx. 55 min (HE mode)/Approx. 50 min (MP4 50M)/Approx. 55 min (MP4 28M)/Approx.1 h 00 min (MP4 720p)/Approx. 1 h 00 min (iFrame)

Getting the higher-capacity VW-VBT380 (3880mAh) should allow you to stretch the time to twice that in theory. Or you could just get multiple sets of the lower cap one.

Kandinsky,

Cheers for the headsup! definetly something to consider before purchase.

done a lil research and the Panasonic HC v770 seems a good fit with an external jack for a better mic.

Cheers!

Let me know if you ever find a seller willing to ship a PAL version V770 to sg!

Dying to buy one too but it's not coming to Sg, Msia or even Australia. Pany wants you to buy their flagship 4K W970/870 in these markets.
I guess if your intended purpose is only for soccer played under the sun, getting the cheaper NTSC set from BH is not an issue. But beware of nasty banding and flickering under 50 Hz fluorescent /LED lighting when shooting 30/60p.

I had a blast shooting soccer using the 120fps slow-mo mode on the older W850, the precursor of the v770 minus the HDR function but with the twin lens.

Hold out for the HD v770. I think it will be better in low light compared to the 4K models.
The HDR will be really useful when the field is half in the shade. And if you need to shoot futsol indoors, get the PAL version. Your best bet would be UK or European online stores.

Last edited:
Let me know if you ever find a seller willing to ship a PAL version V770 to sg!

Dying to buy one too but it's not coming to Sg, Msia or even Australia. Pany wants you to buy their flagship 4K W970/870 in these markets.
I guess if your intended purpose is only for soccer played under the sun, getting the cheaper NTSC set from BH is not an issue. But beware of nasty banding and flickering under 50 Hz fluorescent /LED lighting when shooting 30/60p.

I had a blast shooting soccer using the 120fps slow-mo mode on the older W850, the precursor of the v770 minus the HDR function but with the twin lens.

Hold out for the HD v770. I think it will be better in low light compared to the 4K models.
The HDR will be really useful when the field is half in the shade. And if you need to shoot futsol indoors, get the PAL version. Your best bet would be UK or European online stores.

Hey Bamboopictures,

Yeah they dont seem to ship v770 to sg,however they do for the 750 on amazon. I've no idea of the difference though. What's BH? haha sorry but I'm really new to this!

Would you be able to share your videos just so i can see the quality? Do you do any editing?

I'm planning to do mine to a highlight reel like ScoutnationHD on YouTube. Not sure if i need any specific requirements to do so.

Cheers!

V750 is last year's model and does not have the High Dynamic Range function. HDR is really useful for shooting in high contrast areas where part of the frame is in shadow or when there is severe backlighting such as if the sun is behind the players.
V750 is sold in Msia but it is the same price as the W850 in Singapore.
The new W970/870/770 uses the same cheap plastic casing as last year's W850/v750.
Be warned that although the functions of these camcorders are exceptional, the build will not survive a drop.
Handle with velvet gloves!
B&H (bhphotovideo.com)is probably the world's largest click and motar photo video supplies store based in New York. Very fast service, insane selection, and fair pricing.
Some night soccer footage from the W850 shot at 100fps
https://vimeo.com/126381486

Last edited:
Would like to ask all, does getting the 4k camcorders then downscaling it gets better video image? Like how it can be done for gh4?

Would like to ask all, does getting the 4k camcorders then downscaling it gets better video image? Like how it can be done for gh4?
Pros and cons.

Generally speaking, the individual light collecting 'pits' of a 4K sensor are smaller than those on a HD sensor simply because they need to be smaller to cram more pixels into the same surface area. This results in poorer low-light performance. But because you downscale the noise when you squeeze a 4K image into a HD composition, often times, the noise is made less obvious.
However, if you were to shoot HD mode in a 4K sensor, you lose all advantage of the downscaling and you're still stuck with the poorer low-light performance.

That said, you will still see better dynamic range from a 4K sensor than a HD one.

Last edited:

What needs to be defined is what does 'better' mean to you, and 'better' than what? :)

My guess is while the principle roughly applies (downscaling can improve noise and detail), it depends on what you're comparing to, as not all 4K is captured the same way. Just as not all HD is the same.

If you have a HD camera that resolves more detail (for whatever reason, better codec, better sensor readout, better lens, etc) than a 4K camcorder, it's possible that you would have been better off using the HD camera to start with?

Thanks for the explanation, what i meant was in general haha.

Here;s a video showing the effect on gain noise when downscaling 4K to HD
[video=youtube;ajErCXfgDmc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajErCXfgDmc&index=3&list=PL_CzKKr2ndpmA4-iq_MkxdpPGVqySkfVE[/video]

Hi all,

excuse my new thread, cant seem to find my old ones that was similar.

Anyways i need some advice on what to do next.

Currently using 3 cameras (Gopro 4silver, Sjcam4000 & Gopro)
Silver 4 is place on my 2m DIY tripod at the half court line and the rest at 1 half each facing the goal post. All cameras are stationary and panning is done in post.

https://youtu.be/v21p9CIBnrk
As you can see from the video, the Hero4 is not ideal as the images are not sharp enough when zoomed in especially in big pitches. (st wilfried, Tamp safra etc.)

Videos are in .mp4 and filmed in 1080p. I use After effects and Adobe media encoder. My knowledge on both photography and post editing is minimal as i've just started. i go on youtube to learn and its a rewarding but slow process so far!

Would appreciate advise on how i could improve my videos be it through equipments, settings, editing.

I am looking to purchase Panasonic HC v270 as the main camera placed at the middle of the field replacing the Hero 4 as it has too many problems. (Cant charge, batt dont last etc would appreciate help on this to forumers who came across the same problems!)

My budget range would be $3-500 solely for the Cameras as the tripods and stuff i can DIY with cheap pvc from kelantan lane.

Cheers for your valuable time!

Hi all,

excuse my new thread, cant seem to find my old ones that was similar.

Hello, I helped you merge this new thread with your old thread posted in April, since the question you're asking is similar :)

Last edited: