Film cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
yup that makes sense.

Just that everything's all made so easy to use with advancing technology these days. Wondering if film slr would be difficult to master.
no, what I mean is modern techno make people too lazy, once remove the modern techno, everyone become handicap.

so many people can shoot film with manual mode only, without meter, without AF, without auto wind. without computer, without internet. are you willing to learn?

no, what I mean is modern techno make people too lazy, once remove the modern techno, everyone become handicap.

so many people can shoot film with manual mode only, without meter, without AF, without auto wind. without computer, without internet. are you willing to learn?

it's precisely why i'm asking is it difficult to master.

If you think you cannot live without auto focus, auto exposure, auto white balance, auto review and change settings, auto shoot as many as you can and pray for a good shot. Then it will be difficult.

Actually modern film cameras already have a lot of auto stuffs in it ... :think:

For first time user, try to get the friendly user film cam which come with metering and some auto function. Just to get familiar with the film function and technique. Once you think you confident enough to go to another level then you can start to pick and choose which is the best and the expensive cam. Not all people have a patience with film nowadays. Just worried halfway tru you give-up.

I have a friend who at first very keen and seriously to use a film cam. So he get a Minolta XG then halway tru give-up not even complete a single roll of film. Reason given so troublesome, very hard to focus.:dunno::dunno::dunno:

It's not difficult to master honestly

but you must start from the very beginning,

meaning buy a film camera which requires you to adjust everything manually

maybe a leica M3 is good for it

it's not hard to focus or meter, it's if you want to or not

i've rolled hundreds of rolls of films thru my M3 and i'm not even half-done with it

because i love film and digital is a totally different medium

so it really is up to you if you wanna buy film or digital but most importantly,

you must like it.

with that, anything is easy.

Thanks for the encouraging inputs. :)
Photography's my big interest, thus i wanna try any aspect of photography that i can get my hands on. The basics of film photography is definitely one of them. The process of learning to do thing manually should be fun.

Does canon dslr lens work with canon film slr? If so, i'll probably lay my hands on a canon slr. So can share lens. Any recommendation of friendly canon slr to start with?

Many Thanks.

Photography's my big interest, thus i wanna try any aspect of photography that i can get my hands on. The basics of film photography is definitely one of them. The process of learning to do thing manually should be fun.

Does canon dslr lens work with canon film slr? If so, i'll probably lay my hands on a canon slr. So can share lens. Any recommendation of friendly canon slr to start with?

Many Thanks.

Should be able to ... at most, you'll have to live with no metering (stop-down metering) or no auto focus or both.

Don't use lens meant for crop bodies, you'll have have vignetting on your film shots.

Many Thanks.

Yap I think it shall be able to. Can hunt them at Cash Converters if you want it. I see so many of it.

ah.. cash converter! good idea. i didnt think of that place. will head there to check this out. thanks for the idea.

To JoelT: Sry for riding on your thread.

look for a newer camera with auto everything that can be switched off
so that you will have a full manual camera and switch on what ever auto you want

with the exception of the advancing/winding of the film

look for a newer camera with auto everything that can be switched off
so that you will have a full manual camera and switch on what ever auto you want

with the exception of the advancing/winding of the film

hi, any not-so-costly canon models that i should look at?

i shoot with nikon so, i would not be the best person to recommend

any canon users care to help him?
anyway film cameras are very cheap, so buy the best you can afford

problem with money? must use canon?

u might wanna try a disposable camera at muji. less than 10 bucks. not sure about other disposable cams thou. i mean, if u just wanna try film, u can seek cheap alternatives.

unless u are going after the "feel" of handling a film setup, then that is a diff story...

the lower end series like EOS 3000, 500, 300 can be had for less than $100, but these are all plastic bodies with 3 point focusing etc.. higher range models include the EOS 30, 5, 3 and of cos the EOS 1 series, expect to pay much more..

if you can find one with reasonable condition and price, the 30 is a decent film SLR with 7 AF points with Eye-Control Focusing, which allows you to select an AF point just by looking at it in the viewfinder..

It is not that difficult to learn how to shoot on film. Many of us have come through the route of film and a number of us are still shooting on film :)

To master film is another thing altogether because there is just so many aspects to learn from. Even after you got your camera, lenses and all that, there is still the choice of film. Do you want to shoot on negatives, slides or black and white? After you have decided, then what film to use? Velvia, Portra, Superia, T-Max? Then what ISO to use? Finer or grainier? The list goes on.

But don't let that scare you off because as with everything, there is a learning curve. At least for me, the satisfaction I get from shooting on film makes all it all worthwhile.

Be careful, film is one heck of a slippery slope! ;p

Enjoy!

problem with money? must use canon?

u might wanna try a disposable camera at muji. less than 10 bucks. not sure about other disposable cams thou. i mean, if u just wanna try film, u can seek cheap alternatives.

unless u are going after the "feel" of handling a film setup, then that is a diff story...
huh? I own a couple of film cameras already. Vivitar, Holga 120N.
I am not looking to play with film. But to learn about manually settings.

I want a canon slr as i own a canon dslr. Make sense since i can share the lenses, right?
the lower end series like EOS 3000, 500, 300 can be had for less than $100, but these are all plastic bodies with 3 point focusing etc.. higher range models include the EOS 30, 5, 3 and of cos the EOS 1 series, expect to pay much more..

if you can find one with reasonable condition and price, the 30 is a decent film SLR with 7 AF points with Eye-Control Focusing, which allows you to select an AF point just by looking at it in the viewfinder..
Many thanks!! This helps me greatly on my choice of slr to choose from. I'll read up more on eos 30. ;)

It is not that difficult to learn how to shoot on film. Many of us have come through the route of film and a number of us are still shooting on film :)

To master film is another thing altogether because there is just so many aspects to learn from. Even after you got your camera, lenses and all that, there is still the choice of film. Do you want to shoot on negatives, slides or black and white? After you have decided, then what film to use? Velvia, Portra, Superia, T-Max? Then what ISO to use? Finer or grainier? The list goes on.

But don't let that scare you off because as with everything, there is a learning curve. At least for me, the satisfaction I get from shooting on film makes all it all worthwhile.

Be careful, film is one heck of a slippery slope! ;p

Enjoy!
Yeah, i owe those film cameras as well. Was dabbling with alternative photography previously e.g. lomo-style with my holga. Have a rough guide to what all the type of films are all about. It's a totally new level of film photography to learn as well. So that part wont scare me off!

Thanks for the 'scary' advices! ha~

I'm using Nikon, can't give you much advice on Canon cameras, however, AFAIK, if you are using a Canon XXD or XXXD DSLR, most likely your current lens can't be use on a Canon film camera.

perhaps you just get a 50mm f1.8 lens, so you can use it on both film and DSLR. this lens is not that expensive, you can get more lenses can work on both bodies if you have the budget.

shooting on film is not that difficult, all you need to know is willing to learn all the basic about photography.

I'm using Nikon, can't give you much advice on Canon cameras, however, AFAIK, if you are using a Canon XXD or XXXD DSLR, most likely your current lens can't be use on a Canon film camera.

perhaps you just get a 50mm f1.8 lens, so you can use it on both film and DSLR. this lens is not that expensive, you can get more lenses can work on both bodies if you have the budget.

shooting on film is not that difficult, all you need to know is willing to learn all the basic about photography.

catchlight what do you mean? i have a 5d, 30d, and eos300 and can use all of my lenses on the other. the xxd and xxxd according to experience can also fit in both EF (FF) and EF-S (crop) lenses. is there something that im unaware of?

catchlight what do you mean? i have a 5d, 30d, and eos300 and can use all of my lenses on the other. the xxd and xxxd according to experience can also fit in both EF (FF) and EF-S (crop) lenses. is there something that im unaware of?
I'm referring to Canon film camera body can't take EF-S (crop) lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.