FAQ: Will that lens fit onto my Alpha DSLR?

synapseman

May 6, 2003
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
Here're some FAQs regarding lens compatibility with Sony Alpha DSLR bodies. Some of the info I figured out for myself, so if there are any inaccuracies or additions, please do not hesitate to share what you know.

Q1) What lenses can I fit onto my Sony Alpha DSLR?
A1)
i) Sony Alpha mount lenses (Obviously)
ii) Minolta/Konica Minolta A-mount.
iii) Older Minolta MD/MC mount via an adaptor (with restrictions)
iv) M42 mount via an adaptor, with the same restrictions as MD/MC.

Q2) Alpha mount? A-Mount? MD/MC mount? M42? Eh?
A2)
i) Alpha Mount is the name of the mount on Sony Alpha Bodies.
ii) A-Mount is found on older Minolta/Konica Minolta autofocus film SLRs (like the Dynax Maxxum 500 series, 5, 7 and 9), and the KM Dynax5D and 7D.
iii) MD/MC mount is found on Minolta X/XG/XD etc series of manually-cranked, manual focus SLRs. For more info, do check out this website - The Rokkor Files.
iv) M42 Mount lens: Wikipedia entry - M42 lens mount.

Q3) What are the restrictions of mounting an MD/MC/M42 mount lens onto an Alpha DSLR?
A3)
i) You will need an MD-to-AF/M42-to-AF adaptor.
ii) AF will not be possible
iii) Only Aperture priority exposure mode can be used.
iv) There will be a very slight magnification factor due to the lens in the adaptor (for MD-to-AF). Typically about 1.1x
v) EDITED: MD and M42 mount lenses can be used in Aperture Priority and Manual modes in the D5D/D7D, A100/700.

These lenses can also be used on the A200/300/350, but only in Manual mode.

vi) Why can't MD/M42 lenses be used on Aperture Priority modes on the A200/300/350?

This is because the D5D/D7D allowed you to manually over-ride the camera default of not allowing the shutter to be tripped when there's no lens attached. The Alpha 100, which is essentially a D5D in disguise, inherited most of the Minolta menu system, so it has this over-ride feature, as does the A700.

The MD-to-AF converter (and I assume the M42 adaptors) do not have any electronic contact with the camera body, so when it is mounted, the body detects no lens present.

Q4) Where can I get these adaptors?
A4)
i) MD-to-AF adaptors are quite hard to find in S'pore. You'd have to keep an eye out for it here in ClubSnap Buy and Sell. Typically about S$150 for a second hand one?
ii) New MD-to-AF adaptors (US$120) can be bought from http://haodascreen.com/minoltaMDAF.aspx
iii) M42-to-AF adaptor slightly easier to find. Tago Tech I-store. S$26.00

Other info on MD-to-AF mount lens conversions:
MINOLTA MC/MD and TAMRON ADAPTALL-2 MF lenses on SONY alpha

Modified Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 mounted on Sony A100

And if you're really hardcore, check out: Tinkering, by Peter Ganzel.

Q5) Why would I want to use old manual focus lenses on my new digital Alpha?
A5) Well, such lenses are cheap, and reasonably easy to find in second hand shops and here in CS. For e.g. 50mm f/1.4 MD is about $200+ in the shops, and maybe even less than $100 here in CS. A new Sony 50mm f/1.4 is about $600 in Sg. If you shoot static subjects, manual focus lenses do the job plenty well.

Q6) Can I fit Canon/Nikon lenses onto my Alpha?
A6) Nothing is impossible. I suppose yes, but I do not have any info about this at the moment. I should think these adaptors would be even more difficult to find?

More questions/contributions welcome!

Q3) What are the restrictions of mounting an MD/MC/M42 mount lens onto an Alpha DSLR?
A3)
i) You will need an MD-to-AF/M42-to-AF adaptor.
ii) AF will not be possible
iii) Only Aperture priority exposure mode can be used.
iv) There will be a very slight magnification factor due to the lens in the adaptor (for MD-to-AF). Typically about 1.1x
v) These lenses can only be used on KM D5D/D7D, Alpha 100/700. It CANNOT be used on Alpha 200/300/350.

This is because the D5D/D7D allowed you to manually over-ride the camera default of not allowing the shutter to be tripped when there's no lens attached. The Alpha 100, which is essentially a D5D in disguise, inherited most of the Minolta menu system, so it has this over-ride feature, as does the A700.

The MD-to-AF converter (and I assume the M42 adaptors) do not have any electronic contact with the camera body, so when it is mounted, the body detects no lens present.

Therefore, since the A200/300/350 cannot over-ride the camera default, MD/MC/M42 mount lenses cannot be used on these bodies, even if it's mounted via an adaptor.

Hi,

Just to share.. My A350's shutter can be triggered without attaching lens.. that's how I blow my sensor.. I either set the shutter speed to a few seconds, or use BULB mode.. ;p

There is an M42-Minolta AF adapter with a "Focus Confirm" chip. Note that this differs from Auto-Focus, whereby the lens will focus itself. For this, you'll still need to manually focus the lens. It's just that when the subject is in focus, the camera will beep and the green box will light up.. sounds good enough for me! ^^,

Hi,

Just to share.. My A350's shutter can be triggered without attaching lens.. that's how I blow my sensor.. I either set the shutter speed to a few seconds, or use BULB mode.. ;p

There is an M42-Minolta AF adapter with a "Focus Confirm" chip. Note that this differs from Auto-Focus, whereby the lens will focus itself. For this, you'll still need to manually focus the lens. It's just that when the subject is in focus, the camera will beep and the green box will light up.. sounds good enough for me! ^^,

Ah! Thanks! Somehow it didn't cross my mind to try M mode on the A350! And yes, it works! (Although it's just a little bit difficult to see the exposure indicator in the small viewfinder).

So in summary:

MD and M42 mount lenses can be used in Aperture Priority and Manual modes in the D5D/D7D, A100.

These lenses can also be used on the A200/300/350, but only in Manual mode.

:thumbsup:

mr synapseman!!! i got some noob questions!! ahha

pardon me, im still a student learning the arts. :)

its about the m42 mount. Its a manual focus lens right? so wont that mean when i put on the adaptor, and screw on the lens, will any lens be detected?
and m42 mount can fit all m42 screw type lens right?

thanks for reading!! haha

I'm also finding out new stuff along the way.

Yes, M42 mount are Manual Focus lenses.

There are M42-to-MD adaptors.

And there are M42-to-MA adaptors (with or without AF confirmation chip).
MA=Minolta A-Mount, which is same as Alpha mount. i.e. AF mount.

The mounts without AF confirm chip are "dumb" mounts. No info is shared between lens and body, so the body will detect "no lens" when it is mounted.

I personally have not seen M42-to-MA with AF confirm chip, although I *think* I've read about it before. In this case, I guess the camera will detect the presence of a lens. Anyone who does have this adaptor can confirm?

hey guys...i still dont quite understand about the adaptors

currently im using a200..and i tot of getting a Tamron 17-50/2.8 or Minolta 50/1.7.So which adaptor should i use?do i have to use separate adaptors?

please advise clearly...
thanks

hey guys...i still dont quite understand about the adaptors

currently im using a200..and i tot of getting a Tamron 17-50/2.8 or Minolta 50/1.7.So which adaptor should i use?do i have to use separate adaptors?

please advise clearly...
thanks

Adaptors are for the older MD mount lenses, which are manual focus lenses meant for Minolta manual focus film SLR cameras.

If you're going to buy a Tamron or Sigma lens for example, you will have to get those that already have the Minolta/Sony Alpha mount built into the lenses. These companies manufacture lenses meant for specific brands like Canon, Nikon or Sony Alpha. These lenses are not cross-compatible. Once you have got an Alpha mount lens, there is no need for any kind of adaptor.

If you're still confused, just head down to the shops to try out the lenses.

Hope this is clear enough for you.

Alright...so if i buy a Tamron or Sigma lense n the packaging says for sony..then it means i can use it for my camera A330...please enlighten thanks

wow thanks for quick response...now to find the type of lense i want

Q6) Can I fit Canon/Nikon lenses onto my Alpha?
A6) Nothing is impossible. I suppose yes, but I do not have any info about this at the moment. I should think these adaptors would be even more difficult to find?

Regarding to the quote do you mean that can I borrow my friend lens who is using nikon and/or canon and still work smoothly??

I thought that we cannot change the lense for different type of camera??

Regarding to the quote do you mean that can I borrow my friend lens who is using nikon and/or canon and still work smoothly??

I thought that we cannot change the lense for different type of camera??

Some brands may be fitted via adaptors like Leica, etc... there are Canon-to-Nikon adaptors, and other types too... some people love manual lenses from Pentax, Leica, etc... so they can be mounted on other brand cameras with available adaptors... not easy to find nor easy to use...

you mean that the adaptor is available for canon-to-nikon? not sony-to nikon or sony-to-canon adapter??

can you give me some good sources??

Hi..
After seeing the photo in the "Share you Sony photos here"
I realize that the quality of Sony picture is not as sharp as those in the Canon and Nikon.

Have you realized it?

Brief overview of the situation:

Last time I checked on eBay and other internet vendors, the following adapters are available for the Sony/Minolta MA mount :

Needs no glass for infinity focus
- M42
- Mamiya 645
- Pentax 645
- Hasselblad
- Pentax 67
- Tamron T2
- Pentacon 6
- Kodak / Voigtländer / Schneider / Rodenstock DKL

Needs glass for infinity focus (risks reduction in quality)
- Olympus OM (AFAIK is no longer in production, so good luck)
- Canon FL/FD
- Nikon F
- Pentax K
- Minolta MD/MC

Doesn't have any infinity focus solution yet
- Leica M39

In case you need to adapt Leica R & Contax lenses, check out http://www.leitax.com/Leica-lens-for-Sony-cameras.html and http://www.leitax.com/Zeiss-Contax-lens-for-Sony-cameras.html respectively. The process seems quite troublesome though.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
may I know what are these lenses and whether they can be used on Sony bodies?

e0rdp5.jpg

15fn3b7.jpg

2428iv5.jpg

20qiema.jpg

Apologies for the crappy pics, its from my handphone cam.

Thanks!