EZ link card with Giro

Best of all, the banks do not charge the vendors for GIRO. The old card didn't charge for GIRO, but the new card charge?

Banks do not charge? I don't believe.

so in layman term is protection fees to provide safe ride :think:

ummm... the standard reply would be "pay premium for comfort services" :angel:

There's always the bicycles and walkways (or park connectors) :D

Last edited:
Don't believe then bring up some documentation or authorities to rebutt lor. Else its just your belief against mine :)

Banks do not charge? I don't believe.

Like you, I've also received my notification letter and tore it up.

Just wondering what area our options now?

a) upgrade to the new card within the next few months, bear with the deposit amount and 'convenience' fee. Basically, suck it in and accept your fate.

b) upgrade to the new card but forget about GIRO facility. Use ATM or similar means to top up.
[what are the charges, if any, for this?]

c) stick to the old card, which likely will be phased out soon, though I don't know when.

d) ......

I'd be happy to sign participate in any formal complain letter or petition, though i'm not organized enough to get one going. We do need to voice our opinions I think.
Maybe a letter to the press?

Like you, I've also received my notification letter and tore it up.

Just wondering what area our options now?

a) upgrade to the new card within the next few months, bear with the deposit amount and 'convenience' fee. Basically, suck it in and accept your fate.

b) upgrade to the new card but forget about GIRO facility. Use ATM or similar means to top up.
[what are the charges, if any, for this?]

c) stick to the old card, which likely will be phased out soon, though I don't know when.

d) ......

I'd be happy to sign participate in any formal complain letter or petition, though i'm not organized enough to get one going. We do need to voice our opinions I think.
Maybe a letter to the press?

write to TNP if more ppl write to them regarding this issue and the $3 minimum sure they will do something

till now i nv recieve any other reply email from ez-link on the issue why we paying tfor the new card while the older card doesn't, 6mth waived is all they given.

Last edited:
Since NETS started charging fee for top up, I stopped using ATM to top up.. Cash always and I always walked up to the lady at the counter to top up.

They will stay employed becos I used their services and the stoopid NETS don't earn a singe cents out of this.

Since NETS started charging fee for top up, I stopped using ATM to top up.. Cash always and I always walked up to the lady at the counter to top up.

They will stay employed becos I used their services and the stoopid NETS don't earn a singe cents out of this.

Why do you stop using ATM to top up? Additional charges?

Why do you stop using ATM to top up? Additional charges?

hmmm... this I dun know... top-up via GTM got charge? :think:

My online feedback sent to EZLink:
Dear Sir/Madam, I would like to find out what is the reason for implementing a 25 cents "convenient fee" for the new CEPAS card Giro top up. As a consumer, it seems like EZLink is discouraging consumer to apply for Giro. Furthermore, the Giro application process seems like a pre-computer era task back in the 1980s. Not to mentioned a badly planned launch of the giro application (only 1 month left before old card expires). From my understanding, EZLink is the only billing oragnisation who charges a convenient fee for giro. It may be a "convenient" million dollar revenue stream for EZLink, but it is not justifiable. If every billing organisation starts to collect "convenient" fee for giro, consumer will be paying a huge fee on giro transactions every month. I hope EZLink can give consumer a satisfactory reply on this. Else, it seems like we are moving 1 step forward and 2 steps backward. Thank you.

EZLink Reply:
Thank you for your email.

The $0.25 convenience fee as well as the application and admin fee of $2.00 is not just to cover the bank charges but also to include the overall processing costs incurred by EZ-Link for the provision of this service. However in the first 6 months, the application fee will be waived to help facilitate the sign up for this new service offered by EZ-Link by cardholders who were previously on the TransitLink Bank GIRO facility.

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your valuable feedback. We will forward your feedback to the relevant department for their consideration and action if necessary.

Once again, thank you for taking time to share your views with us.

If you have further queries, please feel free to email us at customerservice@ezlink.com.sg or call us at 6496 8300 between 8.00am to 6.00pm daily except public holidays. In case you need to call outside these hours, you could leave a voicemail with us and we will get back to you by the next working day.

Conclusion: I am still not convince, I will followup.

Boss, thanks for checking with EzLink. You haven't ask them about the top-up amount deposit, ie, if you choose to top-up $50 every time, you have to pay a deposit of $50 to EzLink!

Seems to me like a template for their replies, again.

Dear Sir/Madam, I would like to find out what is the reason for implementing a 25 cents "convenient fee" for the new CEPAS card Giro top up. As a consumer, it seems like EZLink is discouraging consumer to apply for Giro. Furthermore, the Giro application process seems like a pre-computer era task back in the 1980s. Not to mentioned a badly planned launch of the giro application (only 1 month left before old card expires). From my understanding, EZLink is the only billing oragnisation who charges a convenient fee for giro. It may be a "convenient" million dollar revenue stream for EZLink, but it is not justifiable. If every billing organisation starts to collect "convenient" fee for giro, consumer will be paying a huge fee on giro transactions every month. I hope EZLink can give consumer a satisfactory reply on this. Else, it seems like we are moving 1 step forward and 2 steps backward. Thank you.

EZLink Reply:

The $0.25 convenience fee as well as the application and admin fee of $2.00 is not just to cover the bank charges but also to include the overall processing costs incurred by EZ-Link for the provision of this service. However in the first 6 months, the application fee will be waived to help facilitate the sign up for this new service offered by EZ-Link by cardholders who were previously on the TransitLink Bank GIRO facility.

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your valuable feedback. We will forward your feedback to the relevant department for their consideration and action if necessary.

If you have further queries, please feel free to email us at customerservice@ezlink.com.sg or call us at 6496 8300 between 8.00am to 6.00pm daily except public holidays. In case you need to call outside these hours, you could leave a voicemail with us and we will get back to you by the next working day.

Actually the savings from having less counters and Top-Up machines as a result of GIRO will be more than enough to cover the "overall processing costs incurred by EZ-Link for the provision of this service" right?

Let me give you a suggested reply:

Thank you for your reply. I am writing to seek further clarification on the S$0.25 convenience fee.

Please do not forget that with with each cent incurred on the electronic handling of money and topping up, EZLINK saves multiples of that amount in terms of costs associated with hiring staff to man top-up counters, production and maintenance costs of top-up machines, hiring of staff to bank in cash collections at the end of each day etc.

With this savings resulting from GIRO (which is the reason why many organisations are going towards GIRO billing) which far outweight the costs, can EzLink still legitimately charge this "convenience fee"? Who is this convenience really for?

Lastly, temporary waiver of the 6 month fee application fee has been viewed by some as a clever marketing strategy to get people to rush for the waiver, and hence, locking themselves into a perpetual lifetime of paying S$0.25 in convenience fees. At an average topup of once a week, EZlink will recover the waiver in application fees, in less than 3 months. That is aside from the fact of savings generated by the GIRO system.

I look forward to hearing from you.

EZLink Reply:

Last edited by a moderator: