External flash for 602Z and equivalent

What flash are you using for your camera?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by justin85
Need advice on the pros and cons for the following flash:
1)Nikon sb 24

2)Metz 32 z1

3)Vivitar 285HV

Was considering the vivitar,but still leaving my options open.Anyone can help?:dunno:
Metz 32z1 - orange cast, not so strong flash, but good coz can swivel and tilt, includes tilt downwards for macro flashes. Need to compensate on 602.

Vivitar 285 - strong flash, can tilt but cannot swivel.

SB24 - to me contains all good points of 285 and 32z-1. Not too sure about that.

Metz 32z1 - $150-$160
Vivitar 285 - $130-$140
SB24 - ??

anyone to update the price ??

Metz 32z1
Vivitar 285

seems like the above 2 flashes are very popular... lots of ppl buying and erm selling too...
but what are the primary differences between the two??...

Vivitar 285HV is more powerful, is much bigger and could only tilt vertically. Metz 32Z1 is weaker, more compact and could swivel horizontally in addition to tilting vertically. Horizontal swivel is useful when you want to bounce the light with the camera in a "portrait" orientation.

I have changed my flash to a cheap (brandless) China-made flash (copied from Canon flash). GN close to 40m at ISO100, bought at about $175. Swivel and tilt all round.

Actually has TTL with older Canon cameras!

$175 is not tat cheap! A branded Metz 32Z1 with GN37m used to cost around the same or lesser. Hope the flash has automatic modes. If it's purely TTL and manual, you'll not have an easy time using it.

mpenza said:
Use the aperture priority mode on the camera and you get the slow sync mode.

hmm...u mean it's possible with external flash? I thought AP controls the Aperture settings? How does it control the slow sync flashing? :confused:

why not? just try it if you have an external flash.

There's no communication with external flash and the camera does not know whether a flash is mounted or not. AP mode allows you to set the aperture while the shutter speed is determined by the camera based on the metering of the scene. Under AP mode, the shutter speed will vary according to the scene and if it's dark, slow shutter speed will be used (properly exposng the background - hence slow sync flash). The flash is generally only useful for lighting up the foreground. Slow sync flash does not mean the flash is slow or the flash fire off for a long time. It simply means the shutter speed is slowed with flash used.

mpenza said:
why not? just try it if you have an external flash.

There's no communication with external flash and the camera does not know whether a flash is mounted or not. AP mode allows you to set the aperture while the shutter speed is determined by the camera based on the metering of the scene. Under AP mode, the shutter speed will vary according to the scene and if it's dark, slow shutter speed will be used (properly exposng the background - hence slow sync flash). The flash is generally only useful for lighting up the foreground. Slow sync flash does not mean the flash is slow or the flash fire off for a long time. It simply means the shutter speed is slowed with flash used.

Thanks for explaination! ;)

Hi mpenza,

does the Nikon Sb25 auto mode overcome the trouble of manual settings of the Metz 32Z1 with s602 ??

nope. you still have to set manually. actually, it's not so troublesome, after a while it became second nature.

And I usually need to set once for an entire shoot. Any adjustment needed will be done by varying the aperture on the S602Z. In effect this is flash expsoure compensation - if the flash is set to F4 and the camera set to F2.8, FEC is +1 EV. If camera is set to F5.6 instead, FEC is -1 EV.

then what do u mean by "The auto modes of the Nikon flash will work beautifully on S602Z".. and why SB25 is more superior than Metz 32Z1 ??

It's more powerful (GN 50m vs 37m for Metz 32Z1) and you get a LCD that shows the range for which the flash will be properly exposed. It's big though.

I've moved from a Metz 32Z1 to SB24 (similar specs to SB25) for the extra reach. And later to SB80DX for similar reach but less weight.

Hi mpenze,

Referring to http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo...34?aucview=0x13

Since Sb25 had stopped production, what is the reasonable price for a 2nd one ??

besides of GN 50m for SB 25 vs 37m for Metz 32Z1 and have a large LCD screen on the back of the flash...what other function that is more superior than metz 32z1 ?

Does your method of working with external flash with s6902 similiarly applied with SB25 as well ?

"In effect this is flash expsoure compensation - if the flash is set to F4 and the camera set to F2.8, FEC is +1 EV. If camera is set to F5.6 instead, FEC is -1 EV."

"GN = F number * F number

If SB25 has a GN of 50. Shooting at F2.8 can cover a distance of 18m.
Am i correct ?

One more question...
"if the flash is set to F4 and the camera set to F2.8, FEC is +1 EV."

Why shall we not make FEC at 0 and try to match the flash to be set at F2.8 as well when the camera apperture is F2.8 ?

thanks

answers in bold....

wong_se said:
Hi mpenze,

Referring to http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo...34?aucview=0x13

Since Sb25 had stopped production, what is the reasonable price for a 2nd one ??

depends on market demand and how despaerate the sellers are. probably $200+- is a good figure

besides of GN 50m for SB 25 vs 37m for Metz 32Z1 and have a large LCD screen on the back of the flash...what other function that is more superior than metz 32z1 ?

it's taller too and reduces red eye effect more than Metz 32Z1. it's also significantly heavier though.

Does your method of working with external flash with s6902 similiarly applied with SB25 as well ?

yup

"In effect this is flash expsoure compensation - if the flash is set to F4 and the camera set to F2.8, FEC is +1 EV. If camera is set to F5.6 instead, FEC is -1 EV."

"GN = F number * F number

If SB25 has a GN of 50. Shooting at F2.8 can cover a distance of 18m.
Am i correct ?

this is at ISO 100. for every doubling of ISO, multiply GN by 1.4

One more question...
"if the flash is set to F4 and the camera set to F2.8, FEC is +1 EV."

Why shall we not make FEC at 0 and try to match the flash to be set at F2.8 as well when the camera apperture is F2.8 ?

usually you'll match the flash to the camera, i.e. 0 FEC. but sometimes, you may ant more flash than the sensor determines (e.g. whitish, reflective stuff) and some times you'll want less (e.g. just to fill in the shadows without having the flash effect). Many TTL flash have FEC too but some don't (e.g. Canon 420EX does not have FEC on the flash itself). Using auto mode, since there is no way for the camera to inform the flash abt FEC, the only and probably easiest way is to adjust the aperture on the camera.

thanks

hi mpenza,

thanks for your answer.

I am using Mezt 32Zi. When I shoot, I only set the F number of the flash and and ISO to them film speed as set according to my 602, and left the zoom position for aperture calculator (Distance settings) and zoom position selector for reflector to be 50m.

Is this supposed the right way ?

does this applies to S7000 too ? thinking of getting a external flash for my S7000..

wong_se said:
hi mpenza,

thanks for your answer.

I am using Mezt 32Zi. When I shoot, I only set the F number of the flash and and ISO to them film speed as set according to my 602,

that sounds right. if you find consistent underexposure or overexposure, adjust the aperture on the camera according (larger aperture for the first case and smaller aperture for the second).

wong_se said:
and left the zoom position for aperture calculator (Distance settings) and zoom position selector for reflector to be 50m.

Is this supposed the right way ?

As for zoom setting, set it equal or wider than the zoom you're using on the camera. There're times when I fixed it at max zoom (e.g. fashion shows where I shoot mainly at 210mm) but generally, I left it the zoom for the flash at 35mm.

ekardo said:
does this applies to S7000 too ? thinking of getting a external flash for my S7000..

same applies for S7000 and probably all other cameras with a flash hotshoe. e.g. I've used auto flash on 300D too; others have used similar flash on their D70.

Status
Not open for further replies.