Every picture tells a story

The earth (and its inhabitants) belongs to no one, in the hands of some they see it and them as a commodity. You made mention of the Eastern philosophy earlier but I need to point out to you that it is an earthly philosophy that exists cross-culturally and in variations that even include the western disposition with foundation in science as opposed to faith. Do not think they are the property of one or are inseparable. When the earth ends, we will all burn the same way and we will all go to the same place, be it the oblivion or the whatever. There are no separate ques for him or her ...it is all us ... and we are going to the same place regardless of belief ... of that you can be assured.

A strength of mind is required for issues of acceptance and tolerance and no mind is needed at all for the reverse, Dr Who and the Borg comes to mind, where it is easier to destroy then create, truth doesn't matter when its replaced by any objective that is not served by it. The Borg objective is assimilation, not toward any objective ...just assimilation as an end.

I should also point out that friends are the most likely and most treacherous of foes.

But these pictures don't convey any of the story and simply being able to see the differences is a loss when you cannot see what is the same. Lives, with loves and family and community. Isn't that what we want the world is to our children ... anyone's children.

In return we share our environment with them.
This is the other mistake ...its not yours to share and their 'share' should be equal to yours.

Yesterday was ANZAC day in Australia and New Zealand, its not a day to remember victories or failures but to remember those that gave their lives so that we can live in a quality of life. Last night on the tv news I saw people being interviewed at the dawn services around Australia and without a blink, without a thought that they were any different, an Asian couple were included and she said "we want to remember all those that gave us this way of life" ... they were as Aussie and I am and my reaction was one of pride. Can you imagine that ...a community that doesn't remark on the differences but shares equally those things that make us the same.

Ant.

Last edited:
I have no doubt in my mind your conviction and beliefs. I for one believe in evolution and not outright change and i believe you have helped sow the seeds of awareness. Only time will tell.

I presumed you meant Daleks and not Dr.Who.

{I should also point out that friends are the most likely and most treacherous of foes}
If i may, i would like to add "and family" and "when poisoned by suspicion and betrayal". I have fewer friends than the fingers on one hand and i like to think and believe that we will stand by each other through thick and thin. Just as i would standby my wife, daughter, mother, brother and sisters.

Just like you, i wish only the best for our children. I admire the strength you have to muster to confront the uncertainty.

[In return we share our environment with them.]
{This is the other mistake ...its not yours to share and their 'share' should be equal to yours.}
As much as i would like to proclaim myself a citizen of this world, we are divided by nations, cultures and sadly in some cases religion. My share of my country as is your share of your country will always be different from that of a non resident.

And yet, in times of war, residents and non residents come together to face a common enemy.

We too have the Kranji War Memorial dedicated to the sacifices made by men and women from India, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Sri Lanka, Malaya, the Netherlands and New Zealand who perished defending Singapore and Malaya during World War II. We as a nation are forever indebted to them. Yet, sadly 3 days ago, a war memorial , The Cenotaph was defaced.

We must respect each other, tolerance is not enough. I believe our children will do better than us. As you so rightly put, in the end we are all the same.

Your voice is always welcomed.

Teng Kiat

Last edited:
I have no doubt in my mind your conviction and beliefs. I for one believe in evolution and not outright change and i believe you have helped sow the seeds of awareness. Only time will tell.

No, it won't I expect I will be banned for not having done anything against the rules. All the signs were already there before. I'm just surprised (well, not really to be honest) that the street images are regarded so poorly and yet I can see them as special. Street Photography needs to be seen cross-culturally, its an international occupation and its so different between places. Look at how I was taught about chinese theatre ... (grin). In fact it fits exactly with our buskers but someone was patient and explained it to me .. and I learnt.

I dont think they understand the truth about street photography, that its for the spirit. If it doesn't have monetary value then its worthless. Which in itself is funny because it was famously said once that "all art is useless" ... you are all artists then and you are especially useless Teng (grin).

I wonder how I would go photographing in your streets? ...I think about it and its so different. In your streets the pavement runs out and because your communities appear so 'connected to life' then you get to explore all parts of it. We cannot even take pics of kids here, well we can but watch the 'sane' people fall out of their trees in front of their own children.

I presumed you meant Daleks and not Dr.Who.

No, ask your beautiful daughter ...see will remind you who the Borg are ... bit like this place (grin).

{I should also point out that friends are the most likely and most treacherous of foes}
If i may, i would like to add "and family" and "when poisoned by suspicion and betrayal". I have fewer friends than the fingers on one hand and i like to think and believe that we will stand by each other through thick and thin. Just as i would standby my wife, daughter, mother, brother and sisters.

Just like you, i wish only the best for our children. I admire the strength you have to muster to confront the uncertainty.
Think on the Chinese families during the maoist era ... you really will have to google 'the Borg' ... and its not uncertainty, its truth and the key is that its not my truth. Look at all the things that have been said ...what is it we call something that is not the truth ... just because this is the internet doesn't make a lie the truth ...lol, cannot believe I said that. The internet is such a woeful place.

Its only uncertain because of you, do you follow? ...

[In return we share our environment with them.]
{This is the other mistake ...its not yours to share and their 'share' should be equal to yours.}
As much as i would like to proclaim myself a citizen of this world, we are divided by nations, cultures and sadly in some cases religion. My share of my country as is your share of your country will always be different from that of a non resident.

I wasn't talking money Teng and I suspect you are, money and property. Freedom, respect, love ...not money. This cost you nothing and are free for you to give. I am sure that even your religion teaches this and I dont even have a religion.
I've got two boys but have another two that were unwanted by their own families, I love them no less and have enormous pride in them. They would never vandalize a memorial ...they would never even think to do it. Can you guess why. So not only do I have the joy to know them but my community is better for it. I just give them love and listen when they talk and laugh ...a lot of laughing. I admit it costs money to keep kids but its invisible, I didn't buy them.

Your voice is always welcomed.

I knew that, could see you in your pictures. I've still got to see everyone else here. I seriously love street, can anyone guess (grin). I'm not sure that any of you can see how much of yourselves can be seen in a picture, I usually get blank stares when I ask. Street is amazing that way. Commercial photographers are usually the worst at it and all you can see in their pictures ...is their artificial lights.

Anyway must go see what my strobist friend is going to tell me about street photography.

Ant.

Man. i thought i could have a breather.

It's not the first time i have been called useless but this time i need to think about it:think:

I thought i know my sci fi factsi, there is something not quite right with the association here. Dr. Who : Daleks while United Federation of Planets : Borg. I don't want this thread to be assaulted by interested parties!

{Its only uncertain because of you, do you follow? ... }
We all must make our own informed choices.

{I wasn't talking money Teng and I suspect you are, money and property.}
Neither was i, maybe [share our space] would have been a better choice of word.
[We must respect each other,...]

{I dont even have a religion.}
Neither do i, i did not learn my values from religion or school. To paraphrase you "Can you guess why"'

Talking to you is like watching an arthouse movie, leaves me with a headache.:bsmilie:
Go talk to your strobist friend. Have fun.

Teng Kiat

Last edited:
Nothing has change.

Except maybe i owe this thread some pictures for posting without pictures. While there were no pictures, it may well have been the longest discussion i had in a long while. It has been an eye opener for me to have a peek into what goes on behind the mind of someone who has a passion for his art. While we stand on different platform (us the hobbyist and him the artist) i believe all of us share the same spirit and love of street photography. And i am grateful that ANT shared his perspective.

I'll be the first to admit that it is tough getting the right shot. Not to mention time to walk around with my camera.

On Sunday, i went with my wife to Beach Road hawker centre for breakfast. We were on the second floor and as i sat there looking down, i saw a group of people distributing money from red packets among themselves. The pace was feverish and the expressions animate, i saw a photo opportunity and quickly grabbed my camera from my pouch, between glancing at the scene and placating my wife that it is ok to take pictures of strangers, that exchange ended. And all that was left was a group of people drinking coffee. And of course i did not take pictures of them drinking coffee, nor people on mobile phones or people smoking, the list goes on. I rather go home empty handed.

Moral of the story, ignore wife when photo opportunities arise and leave camera out of the pouch.

There are no short cuts.

8692623983_ebfa0ef075_c.jpg

but the ride will be fun.

8693742040_0258b66f26_c.jpg

If you thought finding the right shot was tough, try finding the story for it.

Sometimes i feel a lost for words.

8693742086_601b8b5040_c.jpg

But I have as much fun writing as i have taking the pictures!

Bosebani, thank you for the encouragement,
I look forward to your stories. Thank you.

Nothing has change.

Except maybe i owe this thread some pictures for posting without pictures. While there were no pictures, it may well have been the longest discussion i had in a long while. It has been an eye opener for me to have a peek into what goes on behind the mind of someone who has a passion for his art. While we stand on different platform (us the hobbyist and him the artist) i believe all of us share the same spirit and love of street photography. And i am grateful that ANT shared his perspective.

I'll be the first to admit that it is tough getting the right shot. Not to mention time to walk around with my camera.

On Sunday, i went with my wife to Beach Road hawker centre for breakfast. We were on the second floor and as i sat there looking down, i saw a group of people distributing money from red packets among themselves. The pace was feverish and the expressions animate, i saw a photo opportunity and quickly grabbed my camera from my pouch, between glancing at the scene and placating my wife that it is ok to take pictures of strangers, that exchange ended. And all that was left was a group of people drinking coffee. And of course i did not take pictures of them drinking coffee, nor people on mobile phones or people smoking, the list goes on. I rather go home empty handed.

Moral of the story, ignore wife when photo opportunities arise and leave camera out of the pouch.

There are no short cuts.

Haha couldn't agree more with you. And that's why i prefer doing it alone. :)

A walk in the park.

8740640233_faaf8e71cc_b.jpg

A swimming monkey, capable of front stroke and back stroke in shallow waters of Pandan canal is the reason why i went on May Day morning to try to capture its antics.
I first witnessed its antics about a month ago during my first outing with my new 80-200mm lens. Shooting animals is the raison d'etre for this lens, a bit short but on my D7000 and one of these days a teleconverter should give me a decent range.
I usually shoot with my Sigma DP1/3 m and have little trouble with stability but on my first outing with the zoom, i think most of my shots came out stirred and shaken. But i did capture the monkey swimming but at 105(150)mm. I forgot that i have a zoom lens!

But here is the sighting.

8737985355_718e2506ff_c.jpg

On May Day, i was back hauling along a heavy tripod. And as in most photo outing when you want it it is not there. Fortunately there were others.

The dancing egret,

8739189364_0582647f41_c.jpg

The runner,

8737987425_cd60acc14a_c.jpg

The cyclist,

8739203772_b878b56910.jpg

All are a common sight during a walk in the park.

And my best shot of that day, a lovely family.
I am waiting for their permission to post.

Hi Macaroni, every time i see your name, your "spring into action" comes to mind. In that shot you brought life to the vanishing trade of street opera, it is the moment the opera artiste lives for! That decisive moment. Beautiful! No need for stories! Of course there is also "devout devotion"... I look forward to picking up some tips from you.

Last edited:
Here they are. Abhi and his family.Watermarked on the photo are their favorite word and food.
They have been here for 12 years and recently got their citizenship and made Singapore their home. I wish them the best!
I am pretty sure their baby's favorite two words are mummy and daddy.

8739479127_4673c3997c_z.jpg

Hi tengk,

Your picture "The runner" is awesome. I have been trying to get a good picture of a reflection for a long while. But I have yet to succeed.

And since you will no doubt gently remind that posters in your thread would have to contribute a story...

Here is my own photo of an image of a subject (of sorts since a silhouette isn't exactly an image).

Silhouette 1 - Sashay by Norman Selvaraju, on Flickr

On a short photo walk at Geylang Serai, I chanced upon a lift landing where the light was falling quite uniquely. People who walkthrough it were suddenly cast into darkness before they emerged on the other side to be fully lit again. While I did capture several silhouettes (a few I kept and many I deleted) this particular silhouette of a young chinese male intrigued me. His gentle walk and unique sway was quite rhythmic. I'm glad I managed to capture that lil bit of sway on camera. For those several minutes, I felt as if I were a photographer capturing models on a runway. And the unassuming gentle folks who went about minding their own business without made the perfect subjects for this short story.

Cheers.

(PS : I think I shall just click "Like" the next time you post an image that greatly moves me. That way I don't have to write a story. Typing out a story is tiring. Haha...)

Hi Norman,
Thanks for being the first rule abiding poster!

I saved this for the first person. May the light be with you.

8376050595_89f031f4ff_c.jpg

I can see that you are a pretty patient "stalker". Patiently waiting and "stalking" your subjects and i like your movie references too. I am very impressed by your John Woo style start of your thread. The pigeons i come across just walk away or crap on me! Smeagol was spot on too!
Just like you i hang around a scene once i visualise an image but unlike you i don't stalk old man (#Shalom) :bsmilie: but i do stalk anything that has red. In my books anything red always makes for an interesting subject.

Your silhouette shot of a sashaying man inspires me to pursue an idea that i had but never got down to doing. Thanks to you dropping in, i will make time for it.

PS:i am old school, no need to click like, just write stories. I look forward to them whether here or in your own thread. As for the runner just wait for nice clear blue skies reflected off puddles of water or canal. Like a rip in the space time fabric. Your rip, statutes...Dr Who fan?

Here is to more stories from anyone.

8146645901_5ff3c5bc07.jpg

Hi Wolfton, just like you, i like street portraiture too. Maybe we could hit the streets together for some street portraiture. How does June sound?

That's a cool reward Teng Kiat. You shouldn't have. But I am gonna keep it nonetheless. It shall be used as reference when I attempt Macro photography. Nice capture! Appreciate it.

And given the fact that your picture of the Runner inspired me to go and and keep a keep eye for nice reflections, here is one that I am really happy with finally.
Sharing it with you.

Cheers.

Boss : Through/On the window?

While walking through Chinatown, saw this migrant worker on the opposite side of the road standing and waiting. As interesting a sight as he presented himself to be, his reflection, however, was even more intriguing. While I was framing the shot of the reflection, he started to stretch himself and I tried to position him in a way that would make him look like he were inside enjoying his day. Like a boss? Hence the title.

Through/On the window? by Norman Selvaraju, on Flickr

What a surprise!

I received a surprise photo opportunity one Saturday morning in May, i was invited to drop in that afternoon for a cross country event and of course to bring my camera.

My first photo event since JC days and that was a long time ago.

Like all conscientious photographer i was there early to show my face and start taking photos. Once recognised as a photographer i had easy access to every smiling face, activities at the various zones. I felt invisible and could shoot anyone, anything!
There were the usual pictures of camaradie among colleagues and cohesion among the "family members". Everone is having a good time. Seems a like a good employer to work for.

Here are some pictures from that day.

#speedster, everyone going for their personal best.

8788061735_90821f13c7_b.jpg

And then i thought i heard these two discussing the best legs and the attraction of this sport took on a twist.

#this is what i heard

8788056143_790fb35473_b.jpg

#on your marks, get set, go.

8788053827_5b30aca880_b.jpg

#catch me if you can.

8798633558_c3ef0883f5_b.jpg

#number one.The best legs goes to...

8788046053_a5e9f6cd00_c.jpg

continue on the next thread...

Last edited:
#so who has the best legs?

8798624218_9aec1ecdbd_z.jpg

And besides competing for the best legs, the non runners were comparing thumbs. In fact this is where competition was the stiffest. I know it is man thing.

#men comparing thumbs.

8788030333_3209c41a31_c.jpg

#men still comparing thumbs, competition is really stiff.

8788028785_b2d6d5d6aa_z.jpg

All in it was the most fun i had with my camera in a while. I look forward to my next event.
My pictures my stories, my interpretation of the day's event.
Of course there is still the raging debate as to who owes who a treat...

earllevin, thanks for dropping by. I presume you see Paris in the same dreamy state. Take a,i think 10 storey walk up the Arc de Triomphe and you will see this view. The flight of steps up makes for interesting photography given its spiral nature. Go in the evening when the Eiffel Tower lights up.
Norman, thank you for your story.

A night at the opera.

It was anything but. Seeing macaroni's spring into action and wolfton's street portrait has got me all enthusiastic about shooting a chinese opera.
Then it happened. I chanced upon an opera near my place.
It turned out to be better than i expected!
Temples have their big time celebrations a couple of times a year and this one was really big time!
How big?
Well think small ching gay!

As with any parade there is the lull waiting period.

#The waiting dragon

9033342275_5087b89942_b.jpg

#The waiting lion.

9035566748_4741720f27_b.jpg

#The atmosphere was electrifying (literally with the dragon and lion lit up by ever changing colour LED lights) It can be felt from the onset at the car park when dragon, lion troupe and stilt walkers making their way into the temple.

9035567216_aa528c09a0_z.jpg

#The illusion of the dragon flying through the air is further enhanced by the LED lights. Magical.

9035567260_5816a5dba7_z.jpg

#the colourful dragon

9033342413_b1059e04eb_z.jpg

continue on next thread...

Last edited:
#Lions at the gate.

9035567156_c98385f974_z.jpg

#Then came the bangra dancers! It can only happen in multi racial Singapore.

9033459537_6e690e5201_b.jpg

#Finally the show came to an end.

9033341605_52f6012309_b.jpg

#The dragon and lions depart.

9033342245_d2a351d447_b.jpg

#You can be sure there is a young generation to continue this tradition.
They are ready and so are we.

9035566358_5e17a99927_b.jpg

continue on the next thread, pretty long story.

#Did i say a night at the opera, well, that's the another story.
The night is still young...

9033350215_d4c092ec90_b.jpg

Wolfton, when window of opportunity knocks and you close it. All you can do after is kick...yourself! I feel for you.:kok: We both know you are jealous of the fun we had!
Now you really know what you missed!
I look forward to your stories. Thank you!

Last edited:
Love your most recent set of photos. One hell of a good storyteller and it was fun to be shooting with u. :)

Wolfton, when window of opportunity knocks and you close it. All you can do after is kick...yourself! I feel for you.:kok: We both know you are jealous of the fun we had!
Now you really know what you missed!

I feel like walking straight into this:

But it's ok, I will 闭关修炼 for now and be back fresher for the next one :D

WOlfton, Thanks for a beautiful response, love it!
I have been longing for this kind of interaction, responding with pictures. Helps crank up the creative juices!
For a brief moment i was tongue tied but i do have a response.

#longing

8346999588_a4a8a35ba8_b.jpg

There is a story behind this cat.
That's the name of our first kitten (kerchil means small in the malay language) it was really small when we first took him in, Poor kitten, it grew up thinking my foot was it's mother.He has since outgrew its name. We named the next cat besar (means big in the malay language) that way it won't outgrow its name. For your info, it already disown my foot.
Since i brought up the mattter of cats, i have many strays at home looking for new homes. Interested? Can't blame a guy for trying.

macaroni, Love your pics. Always getting your timing right. btw that's your knee at the bottom left hand corner of the Bhangra dance picture. Do i have your permission to include your face. :bsmilie:
wolfton, i look forward to picking up more tips on shooting people from you.

Last edited: