Every LEICA X2 Tells a Story!

unfortunately, the camera has been returned to Leica Singapore a few weeks ago already ..... but others can share and add their ACTUAL user experiences to this thread

my comment is a bit late but thanks for the poison... i mean review :bsmilie:

been thinking of getting either the x1, x2 or fuji x100 and this review is really making rethink the x2... now to convince myself of the price :cry:

I own the camera for a few weeks now and the main reason I bought it is to replace my Minolta TC-1 which I used exclusively for black and white and so is the idea with this camera. That does not mean that I will shoot black and white only since the added value of digital is that you automatically record in colour anyway.

Well, the AF is something I have to get a grip on. So far it is a bit of a 'hit and miss' and if someone is willing to share some tips to get more control over this, setting or focusing wise, I recommend it.

But back to the black and white. The image rendition of this quality lens is sheer amazing in mimicking film and I already love it to bits. Having that said, one must understand the medium of black and white and the control over processing, I continue to use Photoshop CS with the Nik SilverEfex plug-in and have yet to look into the Lightroom software that is offered for free in the package.

Below shot earlier this week in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I printed in on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk paper and it is absolutely gorgeous.

L1000676_2.jpg

pipo999, I tried clicking on the photo but it didn't have a link. I guess it would not be much use as you'd have to really see a print on new-age barytas physically, just like looking at a good platinum print is almost an ethereal and awe-inspiring experience!

About your AF, I used single-point AF most of the time actually, even for moving subjects. Have you tried the area mode where you can select up to 9 AF points and move them around? With face priority?

About your AF, I used single-point AF most of the time actually, even for moving subjects. Have you tried the area mode where you can select up to 9 AF points and move them around? With face priority?

I started with single point AF and changed to the more advanced one, is it 9 or 12? I got to see the menu. Perhaps I should go back to the single point and practice again. My observation is that it does not always point the rectangles where I want them (stills are no problems) and i wonder how fast the AF is in general with the move of my 3 year old.

True, faster shutter speed combined with a higher ISO will result in more succesfull shots and I still have all those options to try.

I am a typical low ISO shooter. ISO 100 is usually the norm, 200 is rare and 400 is cursing for me. But this camera of course performs very well in the ISO department so I need to find that threshhold level that I can work with and makes me happy. I will continue to try as obviously I need to learn to master this camera.

pipo999, if you get over your inhibitions of shooting above ISO 400 (I have no hesitation pushing modern technology to 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800 and beyond - After all, to me, it's the IMAGE that matters the MOST! Not the technicalities.), and still need assistance, please PM me. I'll try to help, if I can.

CHEERS!

pipo999 said:
I started with single point AF and changed to the more advanced one, is it 9 or 12? I got to see the menu. Perhaps I should go back to the single point and practice again. My observation is that it does not always point the rectangles where I want them (stills are no problems) and i wonder how fast the AF is in general with the move of my 3 year old.

True, faster shutter speed combined with a higher ISO will result in more succesfull shots and I still have all those options to try.

I am a typical low ISO shooter. ISO 100 is usually the norm, 200 is rare and 400 is cursing for me. But this camera of course performs very well in the ISO department so I need to find that threshhold level that I can work with and makes me happy. I will continue to try as obviously I need to learn to master this camera.

If the cam is really too slow to focus, switch to manual and use zone focusing. The x2 still loses out to dslrs in terms of start up and focusing speeds since it's not meant to be a dslr. But it teaches the user photography from another perspective.