[EM] APAW - documenting my photo journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
is this near still road? i live there - and have taken several shots of the row of spiral staircases - but have always been disaapointed because the buildings below spoil the shot - and it's hard to crop
i like your version tho - nice

thks. This is near Tiong Bahru Plaza. A row of shop house along Kim Tian Road, near the Twin Regency Condominium.

#7 Boat Quay reworked
2009 week 13

Apologise for yet another rework piece. I am going through a phase of changed preferences. Sorting out the older works that I like better.

MG_0643_4_5_tonemapped-bnw-700-web.jpg

interesting perpective to an area often photographed. sharp and clean. I like the idea of the composition with something prominent in the foreground and an inverted reflection in the background. :thumbsup:

interesting perpective to an area often photographed. sharp and clean. I like the idea of the composition with something prominent in the foreground and an inverted reflection in the background. :thumbsup:

Thanks monolime.

#7 Boat Quay reworked
2009 week 13

Apologise for yet another rework piece. I am going through a phase of changed preferences. Sorting out the older works that I like better.

Nice tone and reflection. :)

#8 Alkaff Bridge
2009 week 14

I had this picture taken some time ago, but never got to process it. After reviewing, I gave it a vertical crop/frame.

MG_2585-cropped-700-web.jpg

I love this shot as much as I love your NZ series ... :thumbsup:

I love this shot as much as I love your NZ series ... :thumbsup:

Thanks thotshouse, but I dont like this anymore. This was done on week 14, and yet by week 22, I have already outgrown it. The tone map processing is way over done, and the anti-ghosting effort was ridiculous. Like I said when I start off this thread, I am really changing my likes and dislikes quite drastically ever since I started digital photography. This is another evidence. I guess everyone has to go through the "crazy" HDR phase.

I still use HDR, when GND is not suitable to reduce the dynamic range of the scene. But my processing is very different now. Maybe I shall try to re-process this again to show the difference.

I am glad you enjoyed my NZ photos. I took 1k shots but only posted 100. There is much more I hope to improve with more practise.
EM

very interesting perspective! :thumbsup:

:)
#7 Boat Quay reworked
2009 week 13

#12 Broken Pier
2009 week 23

I posted the b&w version of this shot in my NZ thread. But I somewhat like the coloured version too. I esp like the colours on the wooden beams, where it clearly shows that it has been weathered.
MG_4391-700-web.jpg

Last edited:
#13 tree house
2009 week 23 #2

No reason, just like this house. Saw it along the street where many university students stay.
MG_4354-bw-800-web.jpg

#11 Spiral Stairs
2009 week 22

Been absent from this thread due to holiday and post processing tons of pictures. I have came across these spiral stairs before, and have been wanting to shoot it ever since. this is a record shot. have not decide what is the image I want of them yet.
MG_5765-800-web.jpg

Are they in Tiong Bahru? I heard of spiral staircase as an architectural feature conserved in Tiong Bahru...

Edit: after reading the next post I knew the answer :D This is a good documentary shot :)

Last edited:
Are they in Tiong Bahru? I heard of spiral staircase as an architectural feature conserved in Tiong Bahru...

Edit: after reading the next post I knew the answer :D This is a good documentary shot :)

So, are these the ones under conservation?

I think so because many buildings in that area that were built in the post-WWII period are in the list of building to be conserved :)

#14 Corner
2009 week 24

I have always wanted to shoot the nice still water reflection off Lower Seletar Reservoir. Sometimes when travelling on the MRT between Khtib and Yio Chu Kang, I wish the train would stop for a shot. I finally decided to go after seeing so many shots of Lower Seletar recently from CS. Met another photographer but did not catch their names.

I had hoped for more dramatic clouds, maybe even low and fast enough for motion blur. But it had to rain the night before on a hot week. Dang.
3625035673_26414297b7_o.jpg

#15 Spin
2009 week 25

Wanted to capture the Suntec Fountain but there was an event. Went around shooting aimlessly instead.
MG_6057-800-web.jpg

still a nice try nevertheless... :)

#14 Corner
2009 week 24

I have always wanted to shoot the nice still water reflection off Lower Seletar Reservoir. Sometimes when travelling on the MRT between Khtib and Yio Chu Kang, I wish the train would stop for a shot. I finally decided to go after seeing so many shots of Lower Seletar recently from CS. Met another photographer but did not catch their names.

I had hoped for more dramatic clouds, maybe even low and fast enough for motion blur. But it had to rain the night before on a hot week. Dang.
3625035673_26414297b7_o.jpg

#16 Spin 2
2009 week 25, 2nd

Another one in Pan Pac Hotel
MG_6062-800-web.jpg

#17 deep blue
2009 week 25, 3rd

My fav piece from the sunset shoot on Friday. I seldom get to shoot sunset as it is family time.
MG_6093-800-web.jpg

#18 secret
2009 week 26

Went for morning shoot today and almost cost me my camera. Got stuck in mud/almost like quick sand. Luckily close to some branches, break some of the portions large enough to reduce my PSI and walked back to safe grounds. Very scary experience. During this time, the colours in the sky is absolutely brilliant. Of course I did not take any shots then. This was the last shot before my ordeal. I thought I was going to lose my camera if I lose my balance and fall, I would have to use all 4 limbs to try and get out. It was even a little bit life threatening at some point. For that, I shall not reveal the location of my shoot. Photographers please avoid.
MG_6161-800-web.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.