EM 5ii or EM1

jktan78

Nov 30, 2011
Looking at changing my EM10 and get 12-40 pro...

Torn btw both.

Any advise?

em10 can use 12-40 pro too. No need to upgrade body.

What's your complaint(s) about the EM10 that is deemed as insufficient for your use whereby EM5-II or EM1 that has got to offer? Might be easier to start from there to list out all the pros and cons, make an assessment and hopefully make your decision?

Anyhow, it may help if you were to attend the next kopi session (next Wednesday) for you to figure them out.

Found the body too small and somehow think 5 axis IS may be better :)

Itchy..

*know abt the grip for em10 but don't like it.

Was initially thinking of A7ii but the AF concern me :)

Found the body too small and somehow think 5 axis IS may be better :)

Itchy..

*know abt the grip for em10 but don't like it.

I used to own a EM10 and subsequently moved on to a EM1. Personally i cant feel any difference between the IS and thats probably just me.

My main aim of changing as I have a bigger hand so i prefer the grip w external battery grip. Else, I feel EM10 is definitely good enuff for most use.

I used to own a EM10 and subsequently moved on to a EM1. Personally i cant feel any difference between the IS and thats probably just me. My main aim of changing as I have a bigger hand so i prefer the grip w external battery grip. Else, I feel EM10 is definitely good enuff for most use.

Maybe u r right. The buttons are the 2nd reasons why :)

What's wrong w A7ii AF?

A7ii AF improved but heard that it's still not as good as OMD

Will be shooting family and kids more thus will probably need that.

A7ii AF improved but heard that it's still not as good as OMD

Will be shooting family and kids more thus will probably need that.
I really don't see upgrading from em10 can help u take better photo of family and kids...

Unless your kids are running, but E-M10 is pretty good, WongLP shoots his kids quite often. Anyway, E-M5 MKii buttons are smaller than E-M1, that's one difference, the screen also different, I prefer the swivel screen but I'm sticking with my E-M1 cause no point changing. There's not a big difference. If you shoot a lot of videos (serious or professional) then get the E-M5 Mkii handsdown. Otherwise, just wait for the next camera or 2

Hmm , I'll say keep the EM10 unless u are looking for :

1. Better video
2. A larger grip (aka EM10 external grip isn't sufficient)
3. The much improved 5 Axis stabilization.
4. Something to cure that unbearable itch ;)

That settled , the 12-40/2.8 will be a solid and much more worthy upgrade. If I have to choose between upgrading EM10 to EM5II or kit lens to 12-40/2.8 , it's without a doubt 12-40/2.8.

Last edited:
Totally agree. 12-40 f2.8 is a fantastic lens.

Hmm , I'll say keep the EM10 unless u are looking for : 1. Better video 2. A larger grip (aka EM10 external grip isn't sufficient) 3. The much improved 5 Axis stabilization. 4. Something to cure that unbearable itch ;) That settled , the 12-40/2.8 will be a solid and much more worthy upgrade. If I have to choose between upgrading EM10 to EM5II or kit lens to 12-40/2.8 , it's without a doubt 12-40/2.8.

Lol. Point 2 to 4 bingo.

Was looking at only 12-40 earlier which is like 11xx. Then see the EM1 kit which is 24xx... The EM1 is effectively 12xx only and thus thinking of this..

Am using the a7ii nw, cmg frm em10... not too bad de AF...

Hahahah u just made me sway towards buying A7ii... I like the color tone of photo from A7 series

Hahahah u just made me sway towards buying A7ii... I like the color tone of photo from A7 series

Best is understand one's needs and then move into buying once buying right. I still find it hard to like Sony's colors for one but then color tone is basically subjective.

Best is understand one's needs and then move into buying once buying right. I still find it hard to like Sony's colors for one but then color tone is basically subjective.

I actually quite liked the Sony's color tone myself, but the ergonomics isn't suitable for me

Anticipation is best way to overcome AF speed, plus I use spot AF/touch AF alot these days to capture moving kids. Else face detection actually works pretty well.

Between em5M2 & EM1, EM1 will bring better value as u mentioned if u get 1240 package...em5M2 only comes with 14-150f4-5.6 lens. And since its new for both lens and EM5m2 u likely are paying more.

The diff btwn em5m2 & em1:
1. Pdaf on em1 which is useless if u dun have 43rd lenses
2. Well defined grip on em1, which tranlsate to a bigger heavier body
3. More customization on em1
4. With v2 firmware theres tethered shooting which can be useful for studio work, if u do that

Now with em5m2, theres some improvements on top on em1
1. Better stabilizer even in movie
2. Electronic shutter, up to 1/16000s
3. 40MP hi res and 64MP on raw. Limited to tripod or stable shooting only
4. Swivel instead of tilt screen.

End of day, only u can decide base on your needs. Have fun deciding.

Price for EM5 M2?