EM 5, EM 10 and sonya6000 which to get?

socrates

Jan 31, 2005
I am considering the EM5. Sonya6000 and the newer EM 10. All 3 look good to me, the EM 5 is the cheapest of the lot on QOO at $899 (with free handgrip) and looks like a real good offer. Also like the better build (magnesium body and weather seal) of the EM5 and it has plenty of good feedback However it is 2 years old, so it is more worth while to save the $200+ or so price difference instead of getting the newer Sony and Em10? Please share your opinions.

I am considering the EM5. Sonya6000 and the newer EM 10. All 3 look good to me, the EM 5 is the cheapest of the lot on QOO at $899 (with free handgrip) and looks like a real good offer. Also like the better build (magnesium body and weather seal) of the EM5 and it has plenty of good feedback However it is 2 years old, so it is more worth while to save the $200+ or so price difference instead of getting the newer Sony and Em10? Please share your opinions.

Do u prefer sony or oly lens? ANy plans to get more lens later? OLy has a offer on it's 45mm which I think is a good deal,

Will u need weather resistance ? If that is important , then EM5 straight.

At the $899 I'll go for the EM5 as it comes with the 12-50 and HLD6, simply a complete starter kit at an unbeatable price. EM5 though considered an older camera is still very decent.

The EM10 uses the EM5 sensor but the EM1 processor, It's essentially a similar but smaller package than the EM5 so another question is compactness a priority for u ? If I plan to use the ' larger' lenses like the 12-40/2.8 I probably will think twice before getting the EM10.

Lastly, wifi - EM10 has that , EM5 doesn't. So to consider.

I wouldn't consider the Sony at all but that's me being me.

Last edited:
Have you try to play around with Sony's UI? If not, better try it first. It has the worst UI compare to Panasonic and Olympus

1) Go to the shop,
2) Hold the three cameras, play with their menu interface,
3) See which one appeal to you most - which user menu, interface, button/scrolls, etc made most sense to you
4) Ask yourself, what is more important to you - of the three only EM5 had some sort of weather sealing, A6000 claimed to be the fastest, and I think both EM10 and A6000 has Wifi (not too sure).

From my personal experience (having owned the EM5 for quite a while now), I find the EM5 could take excellent photos, is easy to use and pretty light. I like my EM5 heaps. I have not handle the EM10 or A6000 before, but a look at the spec and the shape of the A6000, I think it is pretty good a camera too. EM10 on the other hand, shared the same sensor as EM5 (I think), and dumbed down a bit... but with inclusion of Wifi, so I think you could get basically the same IQ as the EM5... minus weather sealing + Wifi, so it is still up to you as to which functions you needed most.

I am in the same situation as TS but instead of Sony, I am looking at Panasonic G6. Any feedback on G6 features as compare to the EM5 and EM10?
G6 was released in Apr 2013 but it seems it used the same sensor as G5 hence some comments that the IQ not as good the GM1 and GX7.
I am aware that G6 does not has the IBIS. So, using IQ and features for comparison, how G6 hold up to EM5 and EM10 ?

Thanks for all the thoughts,it has been very helpful.
I think I am leaning more towards to the EM5 largely because of the price savings. It is easily $200 to $300 cheaper than the EM10 and sony and EM5 is supposed to be higher rated and higher priced than the EM 10. Also like the weather sealing because in the past I have used my previous cameras in quite rough situations like the sea or water conditions and so anything which offers some form of weather sealing and yet still small and light is a bonus. I would love wifi but can live without it .

Since both EM 10 and 5 is using the same sensor that is a non-factor so the only factor is that the EM 10 uses a newer processor which I do not know if it makes a big difference.

Also getting a camera made in 2012 which means it is bit more dated and may not be so long lasting as something made in 2014?

How does the kit lens of the EM 5 and Em10 compare with each other? Is one significantly better than the other?

Thanks for all the thoughts,it has been very helpful. I think I am leaning more towards to the EM5 largely because of the price savings. It is easily $200 to $300 cheaper than the EM10 and sony and EM5 is supposed to be higher rated and higher priced than the EM 10. Also like the weather sealing because in the past I have used my previous cameras in quite rough situations like the sea or water conditions and so anything which offers some form of weather sealing and yet still small and light is a bonus. I would love wifi but can live without it . Since both EM 10 and 5 is using the same sensor that is a non-factor so the only factor is that the EM 10 uses a newer processor which I do not know if it makes a big difference. Also getting a camera made in 2012 which means it is bit more dated and may not be so long lasting as something made in 2014? How does the kit lens of the EM 5 and Em10 compare with each other? Is one significantly better than the other?

Hmm , The EM10 kit is a 14-42 power zoom vs the EM5's 12-50mm. Both are essentially quite diff as the 12-50 has a macro mode & weather sealed while the 14-42 is much more compact in comparison and in my experience , sharper.

IQ wise, having shot both I'll take the EM10's kit lens over the 12-50mm. Both are electronic zooms so definitely it's something to get used to.

I don't think getting something dated in 2012 will mean it's not as long lasting :) it depends on how well u care for and maintain your equipment. I just saw a 196x-197x ver of the Rokkor 58/1.2 lens selling on BnS yesterday.

I think I am leaning more towards to the EM5 largely because of the price savings. It is easily $200 to $300 cheaper than the EM10 and sony and EM5 is supposed to be higher rated and higher priced than the EM 10. Also like the weather sealing because in the past I have used my previous cameras in quite rough situations like the sea or water conditions and so anything which offers some form of weather sealing and yet still small and light is a bonus. I would love wifi but can live without it .

Since both EM 10 and 5 is using the same sensor that is a non-factor so the only factor is that the EM 10 uses a newer processor which I do not know if it makes a big difference.

Also getting a camera made in 2012 which means it is bit more dated and may not be so long lasting as something made in 2014?

How does the kit lens of the EM 5 and Em10 compare with each other? Is one significantly better than the other?

The camera might be introduced into the market in 2012, but built carried on... and so when you get a brand new EM5 in 2014, it might be made in 2014 or 13, so really not so much of an issue. In actual fact, I like camera that is around 1 generation before the latest camera, it only mean that all the problems had been rooted out and there are lots of DIY remedy available online for you to see and check if a problem occurred.

I have both the 14-42 and 12-50mm lens. Both performed satisfactory, the 12-50mm seemed a bit better make and felt more sturdy, at present, the 12-50mm is on my camera 90% of the time.

Don't forget although EM-5 is older it has 5 axis IBIS but EM-10 only have 3 axis.
EM-5 has better value for sure.

At the $899 I'll go for the EM5 as it comes with the 12-50 and HLD6, simply a complete starter kit at an unbeatable price. EM5 though considered an older camera is still very decent.

Agreed. This is a solid recommendation.

The engine of Em10 is newer than EM5. I find the kit lens to be pretty good for EM10, perhaps they have taken out the AA filter as with EM1 and that may help kit lens performance. Live composite is a new function on EM10, and time-lapse (more frames- 999 than EP5) and some HDR function. the rest are covered by keith and other pretty well. That said I too think EM5 is a good option as well as consider the 45+17mm lens bundle or partner with some others to get either with the savings you get.

EM10 ;) cos I got mine last week kekekeke.....

Well I read couple of review (between Em5 and EM10) which most of the bro has covered in the recommendation above. Well choses the EM10 due to WiFi and built in flash. Well I am not a pro hence a built in flash is more handy to me as compare to one mounted on the hot shoe.......

For the Wifi it comes in handy as I am practically a facebook person hence uploading of photos/geo tagging is essential.

But I have to agree EM5 is as good as mentioned in most reviews with the 5axis stabilization thingy which I felt is handy when taking videos but not so much still IMO.

Whatever your decision OMD is the one for me....

Well I am not a pro hence a built in flash is more handy to me as compare to one mounted on the hot shoe.......

Even though the EM5 does not come with a in-body flash, it does come bundle with a clip on flash. If built-in flash is so important, why don't just leave the clip on flash on the EM5? :dunno:

Reactions: keithwee
I think the local deal is now as good as the Qoo deal. Plus u can check the camera before buying. Taking into consideration the Qoo set is 2 yrs old.

Actually just buy from where one is comfortable is. So long as the sources are trustworthy.

No matter what, with the cashback and Qoo prices , consumers like u and me have nothing to complain about.

If one doesn't feel comfortable buying from Qoo , just walk into a shop and buy.

$18xx for a EM5(elite) + 12-40/2.8
$28x to $29x for a 45mm
$4xx for a 17/1.8mm

Seriously , all prices to celebrate about. Lastly , if planning to get the EM5 ; get it from the shops.

Simple Math - the lens alone is $11xx stand alone; meaning u get a spanking new EM5(elite) for around lesser than $700 , and that is with a free HLD6.

Last edited:
Even though the EM5 does not come with a in-body flash, it does come bundle with a clip on flash. If built-in flash is so important, why don't just leave the clip on flash on the EM5? :dunno:

u know bro, that is a very logical idea :) , and keeping the flash unit on prevents one from losing the eyecup.

anyway, I've never used the clip-on flash on my EM5 at all. If i ever needed a flash for shoots - i went for the FL300R.

Is there a way to check the year of make of camera in the camera body? Jus to make sure that I m buying a new body/lens.

Is there a way to check the year of make of camera in the camera body? Jus to make sure that I m buying a new body/lens.

if it really matters that much to u bro...

read Section 2 at: http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/hidden.html

Month and Year of manufacture can be found on specifically the MCS number on page 3 of the 'hidden' menu.

That said, I never believe in the year of manufacture being an issue on Oly cameras.

If there's anything of logical significance to look at if U r considering the EM5, its to look for the bunch of serial numbers that may need to have their screens replaced due to a screw. Read: http://www.olympusimage.com.sg/page.jsp?id=15541&version=OISP