EM-10 Official! The OM-D for All!

works for me. thx for the help! I have another question on hand. I have switched on the auto-focus, but it seems like the AF only works selectively and the manual provides certain situation which the AF might fail. In this instance, other than having to half hold the shutter to focus is there an alternative to shoot a photo without using auto focus? Could I check if the lighting in the environment affects the AF too?

Hi,

AF works selectively meaning ? What I do is I used to set my AF mode to AFS-M so if it's fails to grab focus , I will straight move for finer adjustment (manual) by adjusting the focusing ring on the lens. No wait time and immediate switch.

For photography equipment ,trying to focus in Low light and areas low differentiation (like full white walls) will make it more difficult for the camera to grab focus. Something useful I learnt from using other cameras in such situations is to grab AF focus on another easier to focus item ( same distance away) and then shift the camera over to where I had difficulty focusing on.

Hi,

AF works selectively meaning ? What I do is I used to set my AF mode to AFS-M so if it's fails to grab focus , I will straight move for finer adjustment (manual) by adjusting the focusing ring on the lens. No wait time and immediate switch.

For photography equipment ,trying to focus in Low light and areas low differentiation (like full white walls) will make it more difficult for the camera to grab focus. Something useful I learnt from using other cameras in such situations is to grab AF focus on another easier to focus item ( same distance away) and then shift the camera over to where I had difficulty focusing on.

hi Keith,

thanks! I think your explanation has explained to me why the AF doesnt works all the time. Perhaps I should consider the MF or AF+MF to solve this. let me fiddle and see how the focus works.

hi Keith,

thanks! I think your explanation has explained to me why the AF doesnt works all the time. Perhaps I should consider the MF or AF+MF to solve this. let me fiddle and see how the focus works.

Strange, I have been using an Olympus PEN camera and the auto focus have never failed me before.

Strange, I have been using an Olympus PEN camera and the auto focus have never failed me before.

in my case i noticed that the AF doesnt work well for near distance, but by and large when i was fiddling with Panasonic cameras i felt that the focusing was faster. either that or im not aware the wonders of EM10 haha

in my case i noticed that the AF doesnt work well for near distance, but by and large when i was fiddling with Panasonic cameras i felt that the focusing was faster. either that or im not aware the wonders of EM10 haha

Every lens has a minimum focus distance, if it's hunting it's likely you are within the mfd, move back till you can focus, that should work.

Every lens has a minimum focus distance, if it's hunting it's likely you are within the mfd, move back till you can focus, that should work.

Wong's very correct ;)

The MFD is marked on the lens body... check that out

Working Distance and Minimum focusing distance
The working distance of a lens is how close it will focus, measured from the front of the lens. The minimum focusing distance is how close it will focus, measured from the sensor plane. So the minimum focusing distance will always be a little larger than the working distance.

See URL
http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/underwater-photography-camera-basics

Last edited:
Working Distance and Minimum focusing distance
The working distance of a lens is how close it will focus, measured from the front of the lens. The minimum focusing distance is how close it will focus, measured from the sensor plane. So the minimum focusing distance will always be a little larger than the working distance.

See URL
http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/underwater-photography-camera-basics

thanks man! v informative abt the jargon used for lens

Edited

Last edited:
Just picked up EM10 w 14-42mm today and found the em5ii suits me better. Anyone wants to take over?at cost price? Comes with ecg 1 extra battery and bag all untouched

Maybe you can advertise at the B&S section so that the chances of hitting is higher ... all the best ...

Just picked up EM10 w 14-42mm today and found the em5ii suits me better. Anyone wants to take over?at cost price? Comes with ecg 1 extra battery and bag all untouched

How come within half a day you knew that the EM10 is not suitable for you?

any bro can comment between EFCS & e-shutter which is more effective in reducing shutter shock with minimum limitation on functionality

Last edited: