Elderly Singaporean couple forced to walk home after paying doctor's fees (polyclinic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bros
The poor will always be with us. does it mean we don't help, and push everything to the government?
NO
If you are able, help someone. In kind, cash or anything you can.
Don't just debate and talk, go do something. If you want to know how, pm me and I can tell you more, or bring you on my mission trips.

I know in some countries there's tv program to capture all these sad things, the more tears shown, the better the tv rating. :thumbsd:

everywhere in the country did happened but this is not the worst..

whenever there is need to give a hand to help the old folks, pls do help them..

i'm sure your tears will be flow down when they say a thank you with a warm smile to you..

I really don't foresee hordes of elderly walking home from clinics, actually. Just saying.

That first statement's rather absolute, isn't it? There are many more factors than just "corruptible or not". Even corruptibility has different degrees. I would go so far as to say that everyone possibly has his price, and it may not be in terms of money - but having a high pay probably does play a role (not clear how significant though) in dissuading corruption in the form of bribery. Putting it into a rather simplistic framework - the choice a highly paid person faces when say, he is offered a bribe is going to be rather different from a person receiving less pay:

Highly paid person faces the choice of (A) Taking the bribe and risking losing his high pay if discovered; or (B) Rejecting the bribe and being sure of continuing his high pay. When you substitute a high pay for something less, then the choice becomes blurrer, doesn't it - and if you push it to the extreme and pay him nothing at all (claiming that he will get an extremely pleasant warm fuzzy feeling in his heart by doing public service) then you can see why B becomes a rather more attractive choice.

This probably also answers your next question somewhat. I think the underlying idea of high pay in Singapore isn't "let's attract the money-minded". It tends more towards the "let's get the people who want to serve, and make sure that they aren't tempted to err". It's of course debateable (which is why ministerial pay is so often debated publicly and privately) how much you should pay to lower the chances of temptation but I think it is a little warped to say that waving high ministerial pay only results in money-motivated individuals coming forward. That's certainly not true as a Minister's job doesn't involve just stepping forward to collect pay, it also involves a lot of other things like being thrust into severe and critical public scrutiny, some amount of commitment in terms of time and responsibility.

Actually for the first portion you are sort of agreeing with me you know. Although I have to admit, I was being simplistic. The second part, yeah I'll concede on that, you do have a point.
I have no problems of people having high pay. You do good work, you get paid well, I believe in the maxim as well. I just don't believe in the statement that "high pay is necessary to prevent corruption", as what you replied and what I said earlier it motivates them less to do so.

Although you don't see hordes of old people, it does not mean that they are not there. I happen to live in an old estate and this is what I see alot. The video does highlight the plight of those that do fall through the cracks and it is something that we should look into despite the fact that the video was made by an opposition party, I did groan inwardly, because I know it will get mired in their political agenda and it detracts from the real matter at hand.

Last edited:
After reading thiss heart-wrenching story, I must steal the thread and share a heart-warming scenario that I witnessed recently.

I was at a private GP at Bukit Merah Central. Don't remember the clinic name. I think it's at Blk 165 Bukit Merah Central.
The patient before me is a foreigner, doing pre-empoyment checkup. After the check-up, the doctor also prescribed medicine for an ailment. But the patient rejected, citing no money to pay. Upon which, the clinic waived the charge. I recall the clinic assistant saying, "Pay us when you have the money. Take the medicine."

Here's someone with a heart.

I just don't believe in the statement that "high pay is necessary to prevent corruption", as what you replied and what I said earlier it motivates them less to do so.

Let me give you a real example. I know someone who used to be in the police force, not in SG.
It was an open secret he was accepting millions of bribe money from some of the worst scums (drug dealers).

Why? Because his pay was too little. And everyone else in the force was on the take - so why not get in on the action?
When you question him - didn't you join the force to serve and protect? out of love for your community and country? He will laugh at you in the face.

come to think of it, this video is nothing but rubbish. politicians are always twisting the truth (which politician doesn't).

this old couple might just want to walk home themselves, but somehow, they see it as an opportunity to paint a pitiful picture of reality.

and it doesn't mean that the government doesn't care. there's only so much the government can do.

and one more thing... what makes the videographer so sure that NO ONE bothered to help them? i know of old people (my late grandfather for example) who, even when he was finding it hard to walk, would rather use his cane for support then have anyone of his children or grandchildren help him around... man... you should have seen how he would scold us when we offered to help :bsmilie:

think about the video in another way, NOT the way they want you to play into their hands.

IF they really wanted to help for a humane reason, they would not be slamming the government NOR slapping their logo in the video. they would do it out of the pure kindness that we all have (but somehow eroded) within us. they could film it, sure, but not for any political agenda. this just shows how desperate they are.

Last edited:
BTW GPs DO NOT earn millions.
Polyclinic doctors earn even less. And they cannot waive fees.
And who says they need to do charity all the time? Do you do charity all the time?
Who pays for their school fees (which BTW is a few times that of other faculties), housing loans, children's tuition and other expenses that everyone else has?

Come on bros... don't ask others to do what we won't do ourselves...

Let me give you a real example. I know someone who used to be in the police force, not in SG.
It was an open secret he was accepting millions of bribe money from some of the worst scums (drug dealers).

Why? Because his pay was too little. And everyone else in the force was on the take - so why not get in on the action?
When you question him - didn't you join the force to serve and protect? out of love for your community and country? He will laugh at you in the face.

aiyo.......can you read my sentence again....please.

Incidentally, this brings about more questions.

1) Did you report about him?
2) You do know that this opens up a barrel of worms (no longer cans, ah) The motion now becomes from high pay to low pay. What it should be is, are they properly paid/compensated? Furthermore if this is true, I think we have to consider alot of things.

I'll maybe post later tonight or tomorrow? Right now gotta work and I keep losing my train of thought.

I am not sure about CPF regulation, question :

these old folks, no strength to work liao, no money, cannot use CPF to pay??

aiyo.......can you read my sentence again....please.

Incidentally, this brings about more questions.

1) Did you report about him?
2) You do know that this opens up a barrel of worms (no longer cans, ah) The motion now becomes from high pay to low pay. What it should be is, are they properly paid/compensated? Furthermore if this is true, I think we have to consider alot of things.

I'll maybe post later tonight or tomorrow? Right now gotta work and I keep losing my train of thought.

Snitches end up dead.

Scumbags will always be scumbag.. no excuses.. do you really think if he is well paid, he will not take the money, much more so if everyone else is doing it.
If you need real example : one corrupt SLA official.. $12 million.. and lately.. more 'real examples'

ninelives said:
I am not sure about CPF regulation, question :

these old folks, no strength to work liao, no money, cannot use CPF to pay??

Because your CPF said have have $130K in ur account for retirement, otherwise cannot use!

So if u are Dieing of sickness also cannot use for the benefit of ur retirement use!!!

Good rite! CPF so well plan for ur retirement! Are u glad!?

CPF.... not for ordinary folks although have ordinary accounts.....

Scumbags will always be scumbag.. no excuses.. do you really think if he is well paid, he will not take the money, much more so if everyone else is doing it.
If you need real example : one corrupt SLA official.. $12 million.. and lately.. more 'real examples'
First money, then if they have lots of it, what's next? Power! When they have the power, ........... SEX!!!

....there's no end to corruption when they're incorrigible. It's only by self discipline or force of the law!

In my personal opinion....CPF to the poor is use to benefit two parities after ur death but urself!

1st grp is for those who taxed it after ur death
2nd grp is those who received the after tax amount!

Question: can u use ur CPF to pay for ur funeral!!?? Will CPF states the same reason if the min. Amt of $130k is not reach, u cannot use!!!

if no one to pass to..... LOL goes where everyone knows.....

fotoudavid said:
if no one to pass to..... LOL goes where everyone knows.....

For this group of old folk who have not family not married, obviously they do not have any kids to support them. They should be allow to draw out their CPF even they do not have the min amt of $130K or only have $10K!

Because your CPF said have have $130K in ur account for retirement, otherwise cannot use!

So if u are Dieing of sickness also cannot use for the benefit of ur retirement use!!!

Good rite! CPF so well plan for ur retirement! Are u glad!?
Don't understand your point. You mean the elderly couple look like they're in between 55 and 65 years of age? In any case, I don't think it has anything to do with the Minimum Sum thing.

http://polyclinic.singhealth.com.sg/PatientCare/PatientResources/WhatYouNeedToKnow/Pages/Home.aspx

You can use Medisave to pay for outpatient treatment of MOH-approved list of chronic diseases. (Refer to list of approved chronic diseases from MOH and Health Promotion Board). You can use your own Medisave account or the Medisave account of your immediate family members (i.e. parents, children, spouse, grandchildren). The withdrawal limit is $300 per Medisave account per year. Starting from January 2012, the withdrawal limit will be increased to $400.

To apply for the use of Medisave to make payment for outpatient treatment, submit the completed Medisave Authorisation Form available at the registration counters at our polyclinics. Withdrawal from the Medisave account for payment will take effect upon confirmation from Central Provident Fund (CPF) Board.

http://ask-us.cpf.gov.sg/exploreMQA...y=23144&strPrint=22994^23068^23144^&strpage=0

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.