EF 17-40mm L or EFS 10-22mm

NegaHyuZ

Dec 28, 2009
HI guys! I am wondering which of the two lens stated above should i buy. I currently own a 500 D but planning to upgrade to a fullframe body in 1 or 2 years. As the crop factor will not allow 17-40mm to display its potential, and 10-22 will not be able to mount on a fullframe body.

get what you need now...

its like... "when i was ~10years old, my 1st rubber shoes was size 7, i did not bought the size 11 even though sooner or later my feet would go bigger." :sweatsm:

Last edited:
get what you need now...

its like... "when i was ~10years old, my 1st rubber shoes was size 7, i did not bought the size 11 even though sooner or later my feet would go bigger." :sweatsm:

:thumbsup: well said! but i do think that if you are facing a budget constraint, and confirm that you will be changing to FF in the near future, then dont buy 10-22, straight away buy 17-40, you wont regret it as well...

HI guys! I am wondering which of the two lens stated above should i buy. I currently own a 500 D but planning to upgrade to a fullframe body in 1 or 2 years. As the crop factor will not allow 17-40mm to display its potential, and 10-22 will not be able to mount on a fullframe body.

Since it is 1.6x corp, get a 10-22. When you do get a FF, you still can sell away your 10-22, treat your 10-22 like rental cost then.

:thumbsup: well said! but i do think that if you are facing a budget constraint, and confirm that you will be changing to FF in the near future, then dont buy 10-22, straight away buy 17-40, you wont regret it as well...

but prices of these two lenses are very close, even on BnS. can buy used 10-22, sell it if 17-40L is already needed...

Look at the fundamental issue. Do you think that 17mm of 17-40 is NOT wide enough for you ?

If your answer is "NO, It's OK for me": then buy 17-40.

If your answer is "I wud prefer to have a bit more wider" then look for 16-35**

If your answer is "Ohh YES, thats the issue" then, unfortunately, there are not many wider choices that fits to both FF and cropped. You have to look for cropped specific UWA lenses. There has been many and many discussions on that subject. Just search and you will get plenty of information.

Personally I love my Toki 11-16 on my 40D ...

** those wondering how 1 mm makes any difference, need to try at wider side. You will be amazed to see the difference of 1mm at wider side.

I second engrmariano's opinion.

Would probably go for a 2nd hand 10-22 now and sell it off when upgrade to FF.

get what you need now...

for the 10-22's price, do consider the Sigma 12-24 that costs just slightly more. It's UWA that fits full frame cameras and it's pretty close to 10mm..

Thanks guys, I think that i would buy a second hand 10-22 then when i get a fullframe body i will get the 17-40

have u bought it? i suggest try out both lens first, see the result.. then you will more firm on your decission...

Get the 10-22 first then sell and get the 17-40L when you buy fullframe. You can get 17-40L but it is expensive because it's a UWA. Using it on crop seems like your paying for something but not able to use it as intended. Personally I won't buy a 17-40L and anticipate that I will buy a FF later because by the time I buy a FF, canon might already have launched a 16-40mm f4L IS.

Get the 10-22 first then sell and get the 17-40L when you buy fullframe. You can get 17-40L but it is expensive because it's a UWA. Using it on crop seems like your paying for something but not able to use it as intended. Personally I won't buy a 17-40L and anticipate that I will buy a FF later because by the time I buy a FF, canon might already have launched a 16-40mm f4L IS.

Usually UWAs are around this price range and above. Used to own one but sold it and now a very happy sigma 12-24 user! :cool:

the price difference for the 10-22 and 17-40 is less then 200, therefore it's price doesn't make much difference.