Earphones, Earbuds and Headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.
+evenstar, yep. But then again, small means portable and with those tri-flanges or custom moulds, allow sound isolation and that rocks. Which is why people still pay over $500 for a good pair of in-ears with another $150 on custom moulds.

Klose, LD2+ no need to bring, heavy duties stay at home. But at least take along your MS-2 la... I'll bring my AKG 701 for you to test too. Maybe I'll bring a pair of Sony EX-71 and another pair of Super.fi 3 and perhaps someone might be able to tell the difference.

Klose, LD2+ no need to bring, heavy duties stay at home. But at least take along your MS-2 la... I'll bring my AKG 701 for you to test too. Maybe I'll bring a pair of Sony EX-71 and another pair of Super.fi 3 and perhaps someone might be able to tell the difference.

We need a good selection of songs for a fair test :p

MP3 format not AAC.

Headphones produce better sound quality due to their larger drivers. It's better to use them instead of in-ears. For $120, you can get an entry level Grado SR-60 which is just about the word Amazing can describe.

If you're going for in-ears, go get those custom moulds. They cut out external sound down to really low low low levels. Without them, I'd try not to keep them stuck into my ears for long periods of time due to the imbalance of air pressure within the ear canal.

It's nothing surprising that the sound gets better with more usage. As time goes by, you'll sense that the majority of the phones do not sound too sharp or piercing. Perhaps that's what they meant by mellowing down. However, the bass should loosen up enough to give that Ooomph that you might be missing initially.

There's nothing really wrong with cheap phones. As long as the thing meets up to your expectation of sound, there's not really much to drool over. They are like camera lenses, the higher ends have better clarity and quality but do you really need them?

-

Jaben @ Adelphi, Hung Brothers @ Sim Lim and Stereo Electronics @ Woodlands are 3 places I'd recommend. They have a wide range that you try out. Have a budget, go there and find one that fits you comfortably and that you enjoy listening through those phones. Remember to bring your audio player. Meanwhile, I'm searching for Future Sonics FS-1.

-

Orpheus. It's meant to be listened to at home. The sound is amazing. It's like the Lamborghini of cars. Why would people get a Lambo when they can get a cheaper car that gets you there? Like the Cherry QQ? The answer is simple. Quality.

-

For those audio freaks out there, I suggest a gathering one day. We all meet up and share our stuffs with one another. Just don't forget to bring the alcohol swabs. I'll be bringing my entire rig there if anyone's interested.

Speaking of burning-in of headphones, while I can't say for sure, my 5 year old Koss sounds mellow as anything. Perhaps it's come of age. Hopefully, if I keep my CK7 for just as long it will get to around that level but with greater clarity than where the Koss currently stands, because that's where I think it's strength is at the moment.

Heheh, well, I'm no audio freak, but I enjoy listening to music. In the past before I started photography, listening to my MP3 player while sitting on a couch or in bed was one of my pastimes.

That's crap. Discman. HDCD. End of story.

Yeah...and maybe I'm imagining. But my headphones don't sound as nice on my MP3 player as they did when I was testing them on my 10-year old CD player at the store. The bass is somehow not as deep and developed. And this is coming from the iRiver H320 which I thought was one of the best-sounding MP3 players around.

That's crap. Discman. HDCD. End of story.

Interesting to see this thread. Been reading the whole thread.

Yes, i'd have to agree with Ballack that MP3s are not "top quality" unless most of your mp3s are 192 bit rate or higher. I'd stick with a discman/MD.

Currently looking around for a pair of earphones as well (my Sony E888 can't be used as its using microplug - unless i can find the darn converter) ... The E888 is great but they're alittle too bright for my liking. I'm not really a fan of "canal" phones ... due to hygiene issues :bsmilie: (yes i do dig my ears), but plus point is the noise isolation.

So anyone can recommend? Listen to mainly pop/dance/jazz/new age (practically ala everything except chinese music) :think:

Already eyeing the SR60/80 for home use... have a sony MDR-V300 but its getting old and the sponge is tearing ...

For those audio freaks out there, I suggest a gathering one day. We all meet up and share our stuffs with one another. Just don't forget to bring the alcohol swabs. I'll be bringing my entire rig there if anyone's interested.

can do

I'll bring UM2, DT880, K701 and my DIY-ed PINT amp
my DIY-ed hybrid tube and power amp cant be brought out as there is still no casing for them, till date. :bsmilie:
anyway, ballack, do you frequent sgheadphones, too? ;)

So anyone can recommend? Listen to mainly pop/dance/jazz/new age (practically ala everything except chinese music) :think:

Welcome to the club! neither am I a fan of chinese music :bsmilie:

UM1? or the Koss KSC75

Already eyeing the SR60/80 for home use... have a sony MDR-V300 but its getting old and the sponge is tearing ...

MS-1 :bsmilie:

Imho the Alessandro Series is slightly more forgiving when you play mp3s of lower bitrate, less artifacts when compared to the stock grados. The only dislike is that they are open air headphones, you must be in a quiet environment to enjoy audio bliss unless you want to hear extra noises :bsmilie:

OT a bit, but since the earphone gurus seem to be gathering here... how do you guys store your cables?

i used to wind my sony ex-71 cables around the remote when not using it, and they got destroyed pretty quickly. is there any safe and convenient solution? at the moment i'm using a pair of retractable sony plug-type phones, but hoping to upgrade eventually.

(my Sony E888 can't be used as its using microplug - unless i can find the darn converter) ... The E888 is great but they're alittle too bright for my liking.

2.5mm plug convert to standard 3.5mm minijack??? The shop at SLS ground floor that sells belden mic cables sell the converter

OT a bit, but since the earphone gurus seem to be gathering here... how do you guys store your cables?

i used to wind my sony ex-71 cables around the remote when not using it, and they got destroyed pretty quickly. is there any safe and convenient solution? at the moment i'm using a pair of retractable sony plug-type phones, but hoping to upgrade eventually.

hmm get a sennheiser earphone box? you noe those mx100-mx500 series that circular shape box???

Welcome to the club! neither am I a fan of chinese music :bsmilie:

UM1? or the Koss KSC75

MS-1 :bsmilie:

Imho the Alessandro Series is slightly more forgiving when you play mp3s of lower bitrate, less artifacts when compared to the stock grados. The only dislike is that they are open air headphones, you must be in a quiet environment to enjoy audio bliss unless you want to hear extra noises :bsmilie:

:rolleyes: ... i tried the SR-80 with my MP3 player and it revealed all the flaws in the mp3 :sweat:

UM1? Hmm ... trying to avoid those ear canal type of earphones ... don't feel comfortable .. Koss is hook on type and open type .. kinda Hmm ...

Still prefer normal conventional earphones... hard to find except sony...

2.5mm plug convert to standard 3.5mm minijack??? The shop at SLS ground floor that sells belden mic cables sell the converter

I'll check again ...:think: kinda hard to find the converter ...

i have one of those connectors that convert from 2.5mm to 3.5mm..i use on my hp to listen to radio with my earphones (instead of using the hp earpiece)...$5 from Best Denki

IMG_0325.jpg

(the one on the left..RHS is a hp earpiece plug)

:rolleyes: ... i tried the SR-80 with my MP3 player and it revealed all the flaws in the mp3 :sweat:

UM1? Hmm ... trying to avoid those ear canal type of earphones ... don't feel comfortable .. Koss is hook on type and open type .. kinda Hmm ...

Still prefer normal conventional earphones... hard to find except sony...

That's why you should get the MS-1 :bsmilie:. But it's very much of personal taste.

lol, i either encode in apple lossless or 256kbps vbr aac format in my ipod. worse case just lug the discman with your favourite cd. best for those pple who work in "sensitive areas" which do not allow camera phones or portable storage devices.

the hype about koss is that it's cheap for it's sound quality. obviously it can't compare to those costing hundreds of bucks, but for less than 30, it's a bargain. those not picky with sound need only get a couple of them just in case one spoil.

i love the sr-80 over the ms-1 because i'm toward the brighter sounds. bass still has a lot of kick. however, yeah, it's still due to personal taste. i do agree that both are a bit uncomfortable for those wearing it the first time, however, you can try changing the pads to the HD414 ones and it might be better for wear.

ya, i do browse on sgheadphones and having met many of them, i get to try out their different rigs and equipment. cool. klose, my apologies for starting you on another expensive hobby, but i guess, it's kinda hard to resist having heard the orpheus :X

Here's a pic of the micro plug compared to the conventional jacks.

DSC00467-rs.jpg

I love the SR-80 too but bringing it out is somehow :rolleyes: ... and nowadays having "large ear muffs" are not an in thing :dunno: ... unless at home hooked up to my pre amp which is a different thing again.

Any earphones which sound like the SR-80 having the characteristics of the UM1? :bsmilie: ... think i'm abit too demanding :sweatsm:

i got d same earpiece as u, i coil d wire ard my palm & stuff it into a drawstring Hp pouch. works all d time. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.