dsc-w1. good camera!

Status
Not open for further replies.

paracetamol

Aug 19, 2004
paracetamol.fotopic.net
hihi! after a long decision between a few cameras, i had finally bought a dsc-w1. it was great!! bought it at song brothers for 620.

i was looking for a camera with good image quality, small in size, a bit of manual control (cos' i dun wan to spend too much time tweaking here and there, expecting that the auto mode of the camera to be good enough for most shots), using AA batteries (i travel often), and w1 really fits my bill.

the giant 2.5" screen was, woW! eye turner at any instance when you use it. the startup time, lag time, were very good =)

thumbs up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

if you are hanging in the mid air deciding what to buy, feel free to PM me for some of the shots that i took. cos' gallery is still in the remaking =p

I agree. Great little cam but only delivers best when you know how to use it.

Never regretted buying it.

That's a very good price that you have paid...... I paid slightly more when I got mine 1~2 months back....

Great cam :thumbsup: but wished it had more manual control..... :D

paracetamol said:
hihi! after a long decision between a few cameras, i had finally bought a dsc-w1. it was great!! bought it at song brothers for 620.
How come u can get W1 fr Song Bros @ juz $620?! I juz got mine fr Song Bros (too!) @ Comex '04 for $719... & the Song Bros folks told me outside impossible to get lower price leow... :confused:

I bought from AP about 1 month back @ $650 with free case and 128MB MS from Sony... It is truly a great cam for casual usage, I am not a pro so it is enough for my usage. I really like the little manual control it deliver, can take night shot and faster subject when adjusting the shutter speed....

holeinone, care to elaborate how to make use of this cam to its best?

Below is some attempts by me using the W1, looking to improve it further. All image resize to 800 X 600 for viewing pleasure, no other post processing done. You guys feel free to comment them....

Night scenary of bukit panjang:
001.JPG

Trying some bokeh effect:
002.jpg

My friend's birthday party(normal portrait shot):
003.jpg

just wondering .. did u on the flash!???

frankly speak... i think u should always use flash +2 ( except close object)...
, for aLL sony model.....my 2 cent.. ( correct me if wrong)

Hi Howard, that night shot is very good. I dun think i can take such pictures :)

I bought my W1 at $749 :eek: :confused: :cry:

gernie said:
just wondering .. did u on the flash!???

frankly speak... i think u should always use flash +2 ( except close object)...
, for aLL sony model.....my 2 cent.. ( correct me if wrong)

Thanks for your comments. I did on the flash for second and third shots, do you mean my photo is under exposed? I feel they are alright with my monitor display, maybe my monitor was calibrated until too bright?

afbug said:
Hi Howard, that night shot is very good. I dun think i can take such pictures :)

I bought my W1 at $749

Dont worry, with the help of a tripod, you can do that also :) Consumer eletronics always like that one, the price is like stock market(drop very fast) :p

afbug said:
Juz use the night mode or adjust the shutter speed for longer exposure... W1 has pretty user-friendly functions to achieve that easily, even w/o tripod! ;)

Check this out!
27de.jpg

limkopi said:
Juz use the night mode or adjust the shutter speed for longer exposure... W1 has pretty user-friendly functions to achieve that easily, even w/o tripod! ;)

Check this out!
27de.jpg

Hi, what link is that? Cannot see or access. I tried without tripod, cannot i got shakey hands! :)

Howard said:
Dont worry, with the help of a tripod, you can do that also :) Consumer eletronics always like that one, the price is like stock market(drop very fast) :p

What type of tripod you're using? I want to get one but there are so many types out there. How to choose a suitable one?

Oops! Think this link here shld be able to work this time...

U can try stablising ur arm by keeping it close to ur body or lean against a nearby structure, or squat down & rest ur elbow on ur knee. :)

afbug said:
What type of tripod you're using? I want to get one but there are so many types out there. How to choose a suitable one?

I bought a brandless one. I believe as long as the tripod can hold your camera stably, it should be alright.

limkopi said:
Oops! Think this link here shld be able to work this time...

U can try stablising ur arm by keeping it close to ur body or lean against a nearby structure, or squat down & rest ur elbow on ur knee. :)

Wow! Nice pics! You took those without tripod? I cannot for some reason. My hands are not stable enough.

Howard said:
I bought a brandless one. I believe as long as the tripod can hold your camera stably, it should be alright.

Ok. Think i will get a cheap one too.

Yupz... no tripod. :bsmilie: Was juz loitering ard town when I decided to take those snap shots to try out my new toy (W1).

I have shaky hands too, which is still detectable in most of the pics but I tried to minimise the shakes by supporting my elbow with my knee or parapet or lamp post... ;)

But then again, if u really want clear pix with long exposures, of cos use tripod for best results la...

limkopi said:
Yupz... no tripod. :bsmilie: Was juz loitering ard town when I decided to take those snap shots to try out my new toy (W1).

I have shaky hands too, which is still detectable in most of the pics but I tried to minimise the shakes by supporting my elbow with my knee or parapet or lamp post... ;)

But then again, if u really want clear pix with long exposures, of cos use tripod for best results la...

icic :) I'll be getting a tripod soon. btw, you took those shots in auto mode or manual/program mode? What settings you used? I've tried the movie mode. The focus doesn't work very well. It keep auto focus itself. Must buy at least a 256mb card :bigeyes:

afbug said:
icic :) I'll be getting a tripod soon. btw, you took those shots in auto mode or manual/program mode? What settings you used? I've tried the movie mode. The focus doesn't work very well. It keep auto focus itself. Must buy at least a 256mb card :bigeyes:
I used a mixture of Night, Night Portrait & Manual modes, but more on the Manual side. Adjusted the shutter speed, white balance, ISO, aperture & focusing randomly to achieve different results. Auto mode sux in night scenes, the pix came out all black... Me haven't played with the Movie mode yet thou.

Oh ya, enabling the live histogram oso helps in gauging the amt of light exposure too. :)

limkopi said:
I used a mixture of Night, Night Portrait & Manual modes, but more on the Manual side. Adjusted the shutter speed, white balance, ISO, aperture & focusing randomly to achieve different results. Auto mode sux in night scenes, the pix came out all black... Me haven't played with the Movie mode yet thou.

Oh ya, enabling the live histogram oso helps in gauging the amt of light exposure too. :)

Compared to other cameras, the movie mode might be good but it performed worst than my videocam in MS record mode. A camera IS a camera :)

Did you buy any lens for your cam? Tot of getting the special effects filter and polerising filter from sony but very ex. The adapter cost $50 :bigeyes: Their wideangle and telescopic lens cost $180. Maybe should buy other brands.

afbug said:
Did you buy any lens for your cam? Tot of getting the special effects filter and polerising filter from sony but very ex. The adapter cost $50 :bigeyes: Their wideangle and telescopic lens cost $180. Maybe should buy other brands.
Ya, bought a 52mm Circular Polariser & a 52mm UV filter for my W1 (together with a brandless 36-52mm adapter) but I'm a newbie too so haven't really figured out how to utilise them properly... Intend to get another filter (to achieve that starry sparkle effect for night shots) & maybe a 2x teleconvertor if I feel rich enough...

Yes, Sony accessories very EX!! In fact I find it quite stupid to equip W1 with a 30mm adapter (Sony's original) cos it actually blocks out part of the view when the cam is at its widest angle!

limkopi said:
Ya, bought a 52mm Circular Polariser & a 52mm UV filter for my W1 (together with a brandless 36-52mm adapter) but I'm a newbie too so haven't really figured out how to utilise them properly... Intend to get another filter (to achieve that starry sparkle effect for night shots) & maybe a 2x teleconvertor if I feel rich enough...

Yes, Sony accessories very EX!! In fact I find it quite stupid to equip W1 with a 30mm adapter (Sony's original) cos it actually blocks out part of the view when the cam is at its widest angle!

err....i am newer than a newbie :) I dunno what is a 52mm Circular Polariser & a 52mm UV filter. Whats the diff between 52mm and 30mm? What is 36-52mm? Pls pardon me but i really do not know. So if i want, i should get a brandless 36-52mm adapter than the sony 30mm adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.