Dry Leaves (Sonia)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea and the concept. However, it looks more like an computerized image rather than a photo. I guess you could hold back with the photo shop and allow the picture to look more natural. The model looks like she's made of porcelain, alittle too doll like for my liking. Nevertheless, great concept!

interesting surreal shot. same thoughts as DP. could have just brought the leaves back to a studio and do it. the shadows from leaves seems overly harsh from the DI. probably made it looked like it was added in.

i had a go at trying out some pp on it. with your permission, i like to share my interpretation.

I like the DI done.. my only comment, which is very personal for me, is that I would prefer the leaves to be green because metallic brown gives me that mechanical / artificial feel, while leaves is more organic / natural. But overall, it is good. It makes me stop and look real close and think and analyze and appreciate.

hmm the skin looks too fake to me
it looks too glossy?(is that the correct description?)
i would prefer the skin to be more natural looking
personal preference i guess
and i keep looking at the leaves
esp the 1 on her chest......er.....the 1 at the right side
tat one looks really fake,like a cut n paste
the concept is good though
definitely something you don't see all the time
any other shots to share?

I mentioned I love the picture, but never commented why,
Well, I love the gloss, especially in today's context, everything is so superficial and plastic..
it tells me that even when you strip the person bare, she is still uneasy, unable to go back to her natural roots (no longer biodegradable), and her eyes and expression depicts her as a soulless machine of this century..

Aren't we all becoming like the picture? All plastic, naked or not, and soulless, working our ass off like machines?
but dry leaves as a headline, is just a little too abstract I guess, copy wise when depicting the model as a "fallen" dried leaf of society that's unable to decay.

Last edited:
I like the photo and like the comment from Viix. However, I would like to give honest comment too. From concept, the theme should have been defined. We hope that we can see the story from the pic too.

Thru other comments, did too much DI. But, sometimes in CS, we like to see some photog to use different perceptive to present their photos. We should not restrict ourselves for creation or innovation.

you have a point there uncle. but, this is not the only layout i did that day. there are two other layouts i did which i cannot do in the studio, or maybe can but so tedious to do.

another thing is, studio here are very expensive,both of us agree to do this in a location which is free since both of us are just doing this for tfcd and just for hobby. and I'm not saying that studio shoot is boring but it just happen that ive been shooting in a studio for quite some time. since i can bring my studio lights with me anywhere,it will be more practical and fun to shoot outdoor.

don't think I am related to you!!!

don't think I am related to you!!!

i would never want to,you must have misunderstood me uncle,it's a sign of respect. its not that i want to be related to you, its because i want to respect you and your thoughts.

@flipfreak, please feel free to show your interpretation, it would be nicer if you do it from scratch and use your own photo too. it will be a waste of time touching others photo and in the end the photo and concept wont have any credit on you. I am sure you have alot of photos that you can use and much nicer concept in mind. I will be the first who will be looking forward for this bro.:heart:

i would never want to,you must have misunderstood me uncle,it's a sign of respect. its not that i want to be related to you, its because i want to respect you and your thoughts.

@flipfreak, please feel free to show your interpretation, it would be nicer if you do it from scratch and use your own photo too. it will be a waste of time touching others photo and in the end the photo and concept wont have any credit on you. I am sure you have alot of photos that you can use and much nicer concept in mind. I will be the first who will be looking forward for this bro.:heart:

haha. no worries. i will look through my stuff to see any pics that i can try it on.

I mentioned I love the picture, but never commented why,
Well, I love the gloss, especially in today's context, everything is so superficial and plastic..
it tells me that even when you strip the person bare, she is still uneasy, unable to go back to her natural roots (no longer biodegradable), and her eyes and expression depicts her as a soulless machine of this century..

Aren't we all becoming like the picture? All plastic, naked or not, and soulless, working our ass off like machines?
but dry leaves as a headline, is just a little too abstract I guess, copy wise when depicting the model as a "fallen" dried leaf of society that's unable to decay.

I simply adore your interpretation! Good copy that definitely go wells with a great picture.;)

I'm sure anyone will welcome such honest comments or even improving critiques from people like you. Waste of time looking at replies with 1-liner and "naive" thinking of seeing A as A such as, Dry leaves -> leaves must be dry! Haa...

Last edited:
Awesome Picture! lovely model!

i dont see why these other CSers cant appreciate a good photo and can be so tiny-minded about the technicalities. People here seriously need to loosen up their minds and go beyond their "expectations" of a good photo.

well i think your style is great and you would definately be much more appreciated at DeviantART ;)

Looking forward to your work!

Cheers

I'm sure anyone will welcome such honest comments or even improving critiques from people like you. Waste of time looking at replies with 1-liner and "naive" thinking of seeing A as A such as, Dry leaves -> leaves must be dry! Haa...
:embrass:

Awesome Picture! lovely model!

i dont see why these other CSers cant appreciate a good photo and can be so tiny-minded about the technicalities. People here seriously need to loosen up their minds and go beyond their "expectations" of a good photo.

well i think your style is great and you would definately be much more appreciated at DeviantART ;)

Looking forward to your work!

Cheers

Well, this is what I call, HANDICAPPED by KNOWLEDGE.. it cripples people's hindsight.

Hey,

Really like the image and idea (reminds me of the movie "American Beauty").
Just one note though, not sure if this is intensional or not but where the large leaves are over the body there is a lighter outline around the leaves about 1 or 2 pixels. its perticually noticeable in the shadow regions. this is just my personal opinion but I think if this was fixed it would make the leaves blend in a little more.
good work! :)

the pic is well DI but i always think photography should have a different between pic that is strongly DI and those that lightly DI ,strongly DI type should categorize as digital artist ,as for Mark in his pic u can tell is strongly DI so u cannot categorize that he is a good photographer cause his pic is strongly process, but he is a good Digital Artist.

Why obsessively categorise people as good photographers, good DI artist etc...? what your'e saying is that the photo doesn't require composition, set-up, lighting control, nothing, ditto. Just a blank canvas, and he DI-ed it.

'cannot categorize him as a good photographer'. Why not? anyway, why must we categorize him at all? I think the photo looks good, strong composition and creative. So, it's a good photo.

his photo look good because of his great DI job, his original photo will not have the same effect, so that why i said he is a good Digital Artist unless he can take his pic exactly the same effect as DI pic than i said he is a good photographer.

his photo look good because of his great DI job, his original photo will not have the same effect, so that why i said he is a good Digital Artist unless he can take his pic exactly the same effect as DI pic than i said he is a good photographer.

Wonder if it was shot on film will there be so much comments.....hmmmm this new era
of digital photgraphy.

By any case did you even saw his original photo in the first place? So you mean people like dave hill, greenberg or even Sacha dean biyan are not considered good photographers cos they depends heavily on DI too?

Based on what you said, you can be categorized under "stone aged" and bringing back the same old stupid and anal -"Photoshopped stuff are not REAL photographs" debate.:thumbsd:

Status
Not open for further replies.