Don't be afraid to use high ISO for wildlife photos on OM1

one eye jack

Jun 11, 2011
This will give @Richohflex heartburn. Who say m43 is not professional format. The problem with wildlife is freezing the action for sharp photos especially in low light in the beautiful sunrise or sunset time zones. This means high shutter speed AND high ISO which means noise will be introduced in the photo. Well as you know now that there are noise reduction software to make an image look better not totally remove noise which is possible but smears details. So these are the caveats. Most import is getting properly exposed photos so the histogram in evf is most helpful , expose to the right but not blowing the highlights, ettr. All the photos shown here are sold to commercial clients. So don't be afraid to use high ISO, it is a necessity if you want to capture the moment that COUNTS!!!

Alright, alright...an explanation of using histogram , ettr, zebras ,blinkies,etc. to help understand what you need to do to get those moments in photos. But there is no free lunch like in cinephotograpy in terms of having details, noise or highlights . Pick one or the other.

All it takes to understand histograms in ten minutes.. really.

It's the noise control that made me get the OM-1.

The only the AF which is a tat erratic.

It's the noise control that made me get the OM-1.

The only the AF which is a tat erratic.

Understanding what is subject detection helps. Know when to use and turn off subject detection when situations change. You should be in control and not leave it to the camera entirely.

At 5:45 Andy Rouse said the video " is about all camera systems ". The video is not championing M43.
Leica, Canon, Nikon, Fuji or Panasonic L mount camera can use high ISO and deliver an image many magnitudes better than M43 due to format size.

From the composition of his photos, one can observe that Andy Rouse is a good photographer.
He just happens to use M43. He could have taken those photos using Leica, Canon, Nikon, Fuji or Panasonic L mount camera.

I am still of the opinion that M43 is not a professional format. Any one else is entitled to their own opinion.
The world wide market share (extremely small) proves that M43 is rejected by most consumers.
This fact cannot be disputed.

M43 is acceptable for hobbyists who already bought into the format long ago. (sunken costs)
But for professionals, it is a no-no.
At the Olympics pro photo coverage, M43 is almost absent.
The White House photographer does not use M43.
The photographer for the Pope does not use M43.
Most media newspaper reporters are not equipped with M43.
Eventually M43 will DIE. That is normal progress of technology.
Otherwise all of us will still be using 5¼ inch floppy discs in 2023 and beyond.

At 2:36 and 5:17 of the video, he said "I don't care".
But I do care. About noise from high ISO.
To each his own. He is entitled to his opinion.

At 7:25 he said about the photo of leopard " this is well before mirrorless ".
That means one or some of the photos were not taken with M43.
Thus his video is not about endorsing or blowing the trumpet for M43.

He likes to use Noise Removal software in post processing.
Like Topaz, Photoshop Enhance, DXO.
Presumably he is shooting all the photos in Raw.

He is generous in sharing his tips.
Like- to err on bright side and don't under expose.
Like - choosing the time of day to get the quality of light that you want. (short while after sunset) for certain animal subjects.

Everyone can have his own view.

It’s clear M43 can do the job beautifully and professionally.

Shooting in good light and not underexposed applies to all format and photography in general. Doesn’t mean I have FF format i can anyhow shoot right?.Lol.

Noise reduction softwares are not just used by m43 users as it it clear FF format does have noise in high iso too and many other format user are using these software.

Not everything needs noise removal.

I just went streetwalking with a group. Indoor wet market (I doubt you have these in SG) I used the 12-200 which is not the brightest of lenses, with ISO2000, I was getting images like this.

53079260886_b278281a38_b.jpg