Does the equipment you use determine if you are a newbie?

Entry level equiment are use only by newbie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
photobum said:
I use a Yashica Mat TLR, a Nikon F3 and a Nikon N80, so am I a newbie?

no, not newbie. but i use film SLR ppl say i uncle... :(

sORe-EyEz said:

I don't use any camera and people still call me "uncle"!:(

Whatever camera I use, I'll still call myself a n00b, so that people don't have a high expectation of me :p

jsbn said:
Well, not looking down on newbies. All of us have been thru the stage of a greenhorn. And are still greenhorns.

I'm referring to newbies who think a "(D)SLR = Pro = I'm Pro" without a single tinge of humility in them.

These ought to be shot.

I agreed!. Saw a post about a CSers beef that people with E350D, D50, D70 and whatever think they are pro!...Seems that overhere in Singapore people are more interested what camera you have rather what you can produce.

sORe-EyEz said:
I don't use Brylcreem, Code 10 or Tancho on my hair. People, including my nephews and nieces, still call me "uncle". FYI, I do use digital SLR..... but only at work (Canon EOS1Ds Mark II and EOS1D N). It's time for me to call myself a "pro"..... from Geylang.

jsbn said:
I'm referring to newbies who think...... I'm Pro without a single tinge of humility in them.
Mmmm.... newbie "pros" cost more than old "pros" (motel charges not included).

shyanyap said:
I agreed!. Saw a post about a CSers beef that people with E350D, D50, D70 and whatever think they are pro!...Seems that overhere in Singapore people are more interested what camera you have rather what you can produce.

yeah i agree. most of us would simply dump a pNs camera just to get a dslr thinking that it can immediately create the 'ultimate' picture.

i guess it all boils down to one thing. patience. how patient are you to learn and slowly upgrade your equipment as your skills get better, or how impatient you are to get the best equipment, when the fact is your skills are stagnant.

i would'nt consider myself a 'newbie' but i'm adamant to say i'm still at the entry level and i have much more to learn that just get the best camera. camera's aren't everything, and if you check worldwide there are still people who have taken fantastic images with even pNs and film cameras.

just my 2 cents.

I guess we shld all be feeling sad when we hear ppl start saying "Nice Camera!" instead of saying "Nice Pictures!"

Digital revolution opened up a new market segment for camera manufacturers and also with this new market segment, brought abt a big mess in the photography world where wannabes and real masters gets all jumbled up.

Kinda like putting a bad egg and the good eggs together. U can't tell which is which simply by looking at the egg shells.

I guess we shld all be feeling sad when we hear ppl start saying "Nice Camera!" instead of saying "Nice Pictures!"

Digital revolution opened up a new market segment for camera manufacturers and also with this new market segment, brought abt a big mess in the photography world where wannabes and real masters gets all jumbled up.

Kinda like putting a bad egg and the good eggs together. U can't tell which is which simply by looking at the egg shells.

anyway. i would agree that even pros use entry level dslr. but frankly speaking i see alot of freelancers and fulltimers or even part time photographers using pro-bodies and lenses...

theres nothing wrong using a entry level dslr.

from wad i know. clients want face. now clients are smart to ask what equipment u are using. he would rather pay more for someone who uses a pro body and yah... they will ask you for ur portfolio when u match the "pro's" prices as in price range.(as in WAAY cheaper...)

i've seen cocky "Camera-mans" who thinks he uses a F80 with some lens can rule the world and step on every photographer. these people used to show up on alot of autograph events, and sometime other big events. some of them malaysians from jb, and i know 1 who is a local. i wun name him, but i will remember his cocky words he said to me...

man: "you will never succeed. who do you think you are ? you are just a puny pns user, i slr user anytime and finish you like stepping on cockroach. so you better watch out young man"

at that time i was really young. about sec 2. imagine that an adult. in his 20s 30s said that.... i dunno if he is in CS too...

the reason i called them camera-mans is because they are not fit to be called photographers. simple...

amatuer in singapore use D2X or D200

pro in indonesia/africa use D50 or D70

amatuer has all kind of exotic lens that is in perfect condition without scratches

pro has more than one ricebowl lens that are all well beaten but still provide good picture

amatuer are online most of the time reading reviews, feedback and chat in forum

pro are out there shooting and o home processing..

point: its not how good you are, its how rich you are

A quick answer: Generally No, but possibly Yes.

surge said:

amatuer has all kind of exotic lens that is in perfect condition without scratches

pro has more than one ricebowl lens that are all well beaten but still provide good picture

lol. Well said and how true. :thumbsup:

surge said:

Yeap.. :)

...then there is the "got money" factor

if a person is well off enough such that a 2.5k DSLR is considered ok-priced to him/her, of course he'll think that , well then cheaper things must be lousier, and hence the photographer using the lousier equip must be lousier ! Coming from the "more ex means better" mentality.

overdodo said:
...then there is the "got money" factor

if a person is well off enough such that a 2.5k DSLR is considered ok-priced to him/her, of course he'll think that , well then cheaper things must be lousier, and hence the photographer using the lousier equip must be lousier ! Coming from the "more ex means better" mentality.

a cam is a tool of trade 4 some pros, if their job demand tt they use top range equipement then i can empathize.

but if hobbyists out there like 2 compare d minutest details of d quality of their equipement den i will surely find such ppl a turn-off.

Perfection vs Passion
or Newbie vs lack of Prosperity

I use mixed water solutions and used photo paper, no camera - people also call me "this uncle".

It is the mindset behind the original image that unsually surprises.

-------------------------
Perhaps the culture of creating images has gone too far beyond or not yet in the area of knowing the science of photography! :)

Personally, I don't really bother about newbie or pro. just whether you are a photographer or not. A camera, whether it is medium/large format, SLR, PnS, DSLR, etc are just equipment. When or which you use really depends on your preference. my first camera is a SLR, but I am not a pro or a newbie. Now with digital, what's the big deal with a person starting photography with a DSLR.

We are all trying to learn the skills in photography. Sometimes a newbie is overused. When people get questioned on their technique, or they need help, they just say that "Hey, I am a newbie what!" Seems to be just a "good" excuse for everything.

Of course, I would certainly expect more from a photographer who is making a living out of the profession, cause they would certainly have more experience and opportunities for shoots.

If a newbie know nuts, but is damn rich, its natural to buy the best or most expensive camera. Just like maybe some P-plate driver just passed driving and buy a new ferrari, can;t say that their driving skill is good also.
So dont think some guy with a real pro camera or top notch car is a pro, you got to see the results to judge.

why talk only about body???

how about lens?

will a pro photographer use newbie lens? or just newbies will use?
eg. will a pro photographer use kit lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.